PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice HVAC in the Playground?

Morgarion
2013-10-24, 11:42 AM
I know there are a few people on the forums who have professional experience with some of trades and subcontracting and stuff. Hopefully there is someone with HVAC experience, or who has suffered similar problems.

We've got a two bedroom apartment with three fan-forced, wall-mounted heating units from the 50s. I think the model name is Remolair or something. They've got a heating coil that I think is supposed to bring hot water up from the boiler and then get blown out to warm up the rest of the apartment. They're controlled by a single thermostat in the middle of the living room. It's a Honeywell T410, I believe. It has a single dial that goes from 40 degrees to 80 and clicks off. I don't think it actually controls the temperature, just turns the blowers on and off. Anyways, the low temps have been around 30 degrees and less the last week, so with only a single inadequate blower it's been getting cold at night.

The maintenance guys bled the lines last week and the apartment was okay for a couple days. Supposedly, the boiler is working fine now, but the heat still isn't. The unit in the living room gets warm, but not enough to produce any real heat. The two in the bedrooms don't get warm at all. I think the lack of heat is related to a huge moisture problem that's developed since the weekend. The windows get really sweaty overnight and the sills soak. We have moisture and mold on the ceiling, water running down the wall, our bedding is damp when we retire for the night, towels and clothes just sit wet constantly.

The maintenance guys came over again to look at everything, but I get the sense they're kind of annoyed with us - the landlord sure is. They're tinkering with things, bleeding the lines, running a dehumidifier, etc. I've got my fingers crossed that I don't have to see the maintenance crew or talk to anyone at the property company until I collect my security deposit, but their lack of concern and slow response times have been disconcerting (we had maintenance issues we pointed out when we first looked at the place in July that have only just been resolved).

Anyways, that's the latest crappy chapter in the steadily worsening story of my life. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do (besides keeping on my landlord) to help? Some options I know I have are: turn fans on, turn fans off, open windows, close windows, open blinds, close blinds. None of the various combinations seem to be doing anything.

Brother Oni
2013-10-24, 12:10 PM
I would think the lack of heat is causing the moisture issue, rather than the other way round.

Is not running the heater an option or is it just too cold?

Sorry I can't help any more but my only experiences with HVAC systems are in a very different environment (very hot and humid or heavy industrial systems).

Morgarion
2013-10-24, 12:23 PM
I think the heat and the moisture are related. My guess is that the lack of adequate heating allows the air to become more humid, and then the humid air gets harder to heat.

The issue with the heaters is that they don't get warm, let alone hot. The two just blow out air, the other one gets warm, but not by much and it cools down quickly when the blowers come on.

leafman
2013-10-24, 12:59 PM
Do you know if they have checked the insulation of the lines running from the boiler to your radiators? Sounds like the lines are cooling off before they reach the radiator. The moisture problem is something that will have to be taken care of via a dehumidifier. The cooler temps in your apartment are allowing the moisture to condense, but when the heat gets fixed you will still likely see condensation on the windows if there is that much moisture present. If you have a vent fan in your bathroom make sure you are running it while you are taking a shower and for about 10 minutes after. If you don't have a vent fan, open a window in or near the bathroom to vent the excess moisture.

Morgarion
2013-10-24, 01:21 PM
I don't know if they've checked the insulation for the lines yet. I guess the boiler is running at 160 or something, and one of the guys used the IR gun on the heater that actually works and it only registered at 90.

As for the condensation, I know there will still be some on the windows and that's fine - it's winter in Minnesota. But when there's a line of water running down the wall onto the bed, that's a problem up with which I will not put.

I'm really hoping the dehumidifier does something besides make a lot of noise. We have a vent fan in the bathroom and I've been running it more often but it doesn't do much. The bathroom is actually the furthest point in our apartment from the exterior walls, too, so the windows won't really help much.

There's only six more months of winter to get through...

Palanan
2013-10-24, 01:24 PM
As far as landlords, there's probably a line in your lease about the landlord's responsibility to handle maintenance requests in a timely fashion. If not there, then it should be somewhere in the rental laws for your state.

I've dealt with more landlords than I want to think about, and virtually all of them weren't worth the polluted water they're made of. You know your situation better than anyone, but I would recommend polite persistence--followed by a call to your local housing authority if the problem isn't resolved. Your situation sounds genuinely awful, and you shouldn't have to endure that as the status quo. A wet cave is no place to spend a Minnesota winter.

As for the humidity itself, I would agree with leafman that you probably need a dehumidifier. Might be an expensive option for you, but the alternative is the wet cave while the maintenance guys learn their job.

Good luck with the situation. And don't wait too long to call the housing authority--they can sometimes give really good advice.

leafman
2013-10-24, 02:34 PM
You wouldn't happen to know where that bath fan vents to or have an easy way of checking would you? The reason I ask is because your bathroom is not located near an exterior wall, it might not be venting properly which is why it doesn't seem to help. If it is too long of a run to a wall or the roof, the moisture could be condensing in the duct, which could contribute to the water running down the walls. I've also heard of idiots installing them and venting directly into the attic :smallsigh:

I should probably note that I am not an expert on HVAC, my dad is.

Morgarion
2013-10-24, 04:20 PM
I just got home. The apartment is dry. The windows only have a few drops of moisture on them and that nasty, damp heavy feeling is gone from the air. It's cold, though. I hope it can get things up to a reasonable temp overnight. We're probably going to need at least one space heater.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. If I'm lucky, you won't see me complain about this anymore.

factotum
2013-10-25, 02:34 AM
See, I came into this thread thinking it would be talking about high voltage alternating current, which I *do* have some experience with... :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2013-10-25, 02:50 AM
the temperature swings are what's causing the moisture. you're better off leaving the apartment cold if the condensation is that bad.

in any case like this, you should document everything. take pictures of the water, the mold, keep records of when you requested the fix and when they showed up.
paperwork is your friend if you know what you're doing.

Morgarion
2013-10-25, 08:16 AM
It's been fixed! Praise Ghaunadaur, it's been fixed!

They came back again yesterday evening, I guess they'd been working all day and were still around. They noted a couple of problems. The big one was that the pump that pushes the hot water through the building was installed and it had power, but the propeller had been taken out by the previous landlord so there was nothing to actually move the water.

Right on time, too. It's below freezing outside. I'd hate to see what would have happened to that window if this hadn't been fixed before we got to consistently freezing temps.

The best part about this is how relieved and vindicated I feel. The landlord was really dismissive of it at first but I kept calling because, damn it, I wanted it fixed. A couple of years ago, I would have been such a pushover and shrugged after the first call and said 'well, I guess I just have to live with it'. But I didn't. I got what I wanted and it feels nice. Real nice.

Moral of the story, stick up for yourself. No one else will.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-29, 08:29 PM
See, I came into this thread thinking it would be talking about high voltage alternating current, which I *do* have some experience with... :smallbiggrin:

Same here....

Remember, people! You can't just use acronyms willy-nilly, you have to spell them out at least once! Acronyms are a form of jargon. They won't always be understood, or understood correctly, in mixed company.