PDA

View Full Version : Magical beasts as spell casters

Gamebird
2007-01-04, 02:39 PM
Can a pegasus cast arcane or divine spells that require somatic components? Does it have to take the Still Spell feat or carry (in it's mouth?) a metamagic rod?

What about a unicorn? The Monster Manual I lists a celestial charger/7th level cleric as an option for a unicorn. It does not have the Still Spell feat. Some of the spells presented in the suggested spell list require somatic components. Can it cast these normally?

Does a caster have to have fingers to cast spells? What about hands? The SRD says you must have at least one free "hand" to cast a spell. What counts as a hand? Must it have opposable thumbs? Does a paw work? How about a hoof?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the Monster Manual says that creatures with spellcasting abilities make somatic components with their hands if they have them, or a similar appendage, like a foot or a tentacle.

I don't have a page reference, though...

Gamebird
2007-01-04, 03:10 PM
If a unicorn (or pegasus) can cast spells with somatic components, then can a wizard who is polymorphed into one do the same?

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-04, 03:19 PM
Hmm, if you were feeling generous.

I would say no, and that a pegasus or unicorn can use alternate somatic movements (ex: movement of ears, tails, neck, etc) because they learned to use magic using those movements rather than with hands. A polymorhped wizard wouldnt have learned to use these alternet somatic components and thus wouldnt be able to cast as a magical beast such as these. Of course, a Natural Spell like feat could serve to represent the wizard taking the time to learn alternate somatic components for different polymorphs.

Not Raw, but sounds resonable to me.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 03:21 PM
That's pretty much exactly what Savage Species says, so I'd go with Dax on this one.

EDIT: One could also slightly edit Natural Spell, replacing the Wild Shape requirement with Caster Level X and making it instead read "while polymorphed" instead of "while in wild shape"...

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-04, 03:53 PM
Yeah, havent really read Thavage Thpecies, but thats what I always houseruled. I let natural spell work for all forms of shapechage that prohibit spellcasting, including lycanthropy. Requirement is Caster Level 5.

Works just fine.

Gamebird
2007-01-04, 03:54 PM
Okay, so a unicorn or pegasus can cast spells with somatic components (by RAW, or some WotC source). How do they cast spells that require material components? It's unlikely they're going to be able to wear a spell component pouch. Even if they do, how do they reach within to extract a single, specific component, without using their mouth, because I assume their mouth is busy with the verbal components?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 04:00 PM
That's what Eschew Materials is for.

I personally explain it as PC races have a natural bent away from magic and therefore require aid to meet the magical abilities of those who are more naturally oriented. Therefore, they require material components, while animals, magical beasts, et al. do not.

Gamebird
2007-01-04, 04:04 PM
So without spending a feat, you'd say that a unicorn or pegasus can't cast spells requiring material components?

The unicorn cleric in the MMI doesn't have Eschew Materials as a feat either.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 04:07 PM
No, what I'm saying is that all non-PC races receive the Eschew Materials feat for free. PC races, however, have the bent away from magic and therefore need the materials to strengthen and refine their tenuous grasp of magic.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 04:18 PM
The unicorn cleric in the MMI doesn't have Eschew Materials as a feat either.

Clerics just need a Divine Focus. Maybe it has a holy symbol around its neck. Or maybe its goddess is Ehlonna, and it is its own holy symbol.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-04, 04:23 PM
Hehe.

I AM a holy symbol!

What about spells that you are required to touch your 'holy symbol' to the target to take effect.

Possible fun with enterpretations

Pegasos989
2007-01-04, 04:24 PM
I don't think I can cast any spells. :/

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 04:24 PM
Well, with a unicorn...you know that horn isn't for show.

EDIT: "Unicorns do it with their head."

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 04:26 PM
I think 'manipulating' yourself is far more interesting...

... and if you are made of silver you are worth about 6000 gp (melted down).

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 04:26 PM
I'm, uh, sure you do. Just not here, please.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 04:29 PM
See? Look: Bears with Lasers. A physical manifestation that the natural have a closer relationship with magic than the learned.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 04:35 PM
Magic? Lasers are made of SCIENCE!

*zaps Fax with lasers*

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 04:38 PM
'Of' SCIENCE ehhh, what kind of special material is that?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 04:40 PM
Science is an alloy made from Win and Awesome.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 04:42 PM
Planescape had a spell that would fire a laser canon from Mechanus at your target.

Science and Magic combined with Win and Awesome, add a bit of sweetness.

MrNexx
2007-01-04, 04:57 PM
Science is an alloy made from Win and Awesome.

Where are those on the Periodic table? Or are they molecules of something else?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 05:17 PM
Win is a named isotope of Tin, and Awesome is a shorter name for Awesolennium, one of those substances that can only seem to remain stable in a lab (like Berklenium).

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-04, 06:14 PM
Current homebrew campaign setting was partially an effort to include all manner of awsome into a sensical and cohesive whole. Ninja, Pirate, Golem, and all manner of other characters would fit right in!

There is a custom weapon (wonderous item) that channels the divine energy of the sun into what is essentially a lazer bazooka. I fully expect the players to use it to blow up a flying pirateship or something.

SCIENCEMAGICYAY.

Raum
2007-01-04, 10:04 PM
Okay, so a unicorn or pegasus can cast spells with somatic components (by RAW, or some WotC source). How do they cast spells that require material components? It's unlikely they're going to be able to wear a spell component pouch. Even if they do, how do they reach within to extract a single, specific component, without using their mouth, because I assume their mouth is busy with the verbal components?
To the best of my knowledge, RAW only requires the caster to posess the material component, not to manipulate it. The actual statement on components is "A spell’s components are what you must do or possess to cast it."

I certainly wouldn't ask a caster using Still Spell to manipulate a material component, it's against the intent of the feat.

YPU
2007-01-05, 05:06 PM
i cant remeber where in one of the core books but i am sure i read that a creature from monster manual does not need to use martial components, i just cant remeber where.