PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Psy Warrior Damage

Kesnit
2013-10-24, 01:43 PM
I just joined a 3.5 game and made a Half-Giant Monk 1/Psy Warrior 5. I've got Tashalatora, so Psy Warrior and Monk stack to determine unarmed. I've got +1 Shock Gauntlets, 20 STR, and Claws of the Beast. Does Claws of the Beast stack with my other unarmed damage, or do I have to take separate attacks for them?

2d6 (effective LVL 6 Large Monk)+ 5 (STR) + 1 (enhancement) + 1d6 (shock) + 1d6 (Claws)

OR

2d6 (effective LVL 6 Large Monk)+ 5 (STR) + 1 (enhancement) + 1d6 (shock) and then roll 2 more attacks, each 1d6+5

Urpriest
2013-10-24, 02:12 PM
I just joined a 3.5 game and made a Half-Giant Monk 1/Psy Warrior 5. I've got Tashalatora, so Psy Warrior and Monk stack to determine unarmed. I've got +1 Shock Gauntlets, 20 STR, and Claws of the Beast. Does Claws of the Beast stack with my other unarmed damage, or do I have to take separate attacks for them?

2d6 (effective LVL 6 Large Monk)+ 5 (STR) + 1 (enhancement) + 1d6 (shock) + 1d6 (Claws)

OR

2d6 (effective LVL 6 Large Monk)+ 5 (STR) + 1 (enhancement) + 1d6 (shock) and then roll 2 more attacks, each 1d6+5

Claws of the Beast gives you Claws, the 2d6 Monk damage is for your Unarmed Strike. They are different weapons, just like a dagger is a different weapon from a greatsword. Further, you can't even use them in the same round, because Claws of the Beast doesn't let you use any weapons besides the claws if you make claw attacks.

If you have access to Dragon Magazine, note that there is a feat, Beast Strike, which lets you add your natural weapon damage to your unarmed strikes. But normally they are distinct weapons and there is no way to "combine" them.

Also, note that normally gauntlets don't work for what you're doing with them, but I assume you've got special DM permission.

animewatcha
2013-10-24, 03:19 PM
If you are wanting to have the enhancement and shock damage onto your monk unarmed strike attacks, then the normal route is to get a necklace of natural weapons ( 3.0/3.5 Amulet of Mighty Fists being 3.5 was 'supposed' to fix this, but is only for 3+ natural weapons ). If not neck, then some online WOTC archive suggested arms slot or the gloves slot as an alternative. If you are willing to pay extra cost ( double the enhancement cost of normal weapon enhancement cost if my estimation is correct ) you might be able to attach additional weapon enhancements onto the Ghost Shroud in the Magic Item Compendium.

OOPWER
2013-10-24, 08:53 PM
Couldn't you use the PsyWar weapon buffs on your unarmed strike rather than making claws?

For example, use Metaphysical Weapon and Dissolving Weapon for enhancement bonuses and an extra 4d6 acid damage?

Basically:

2d6 (LvL 6 Large Monk) + 5 (Strength) + X (Metaphysical Weapon Bonus) + 1d6 (Shock Gauntlets) + 4d6 Acid (Dissolving Weapon)

That's just my take on it. I'd be more than willing to bet somebody's got a better idea.

I'm suggesting this as I'm not too* (Edited in the extra "o" here.) certain as the RAW concerning using your unarmed strike as a natural weapon and vice-versa (I think the general response is "Ask your DM.") but assuming the unarmed strikes count as an actual weapon then the above is what I'd recommend.