PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necro Build

nuaragonis
2013-10-24, 01:50 PM
Im looking to create a fear based, melee build dread necromancer. I understand at higher levels the melee will be out shunned by spells. We are starting at level 10 so I was thinking on the lines of Dread Necromancer 5/ Dread Witch 5. We are starting with 60k gp (high magic setting). What feats or items do yall recommend for getting the most bang for my buck. Thanks for the info. Most 3.5 books are available.

Warlocknthewind
2013-10-24, 04:08 PM
Imperious command from Drow of the Underdark. Orpactically hands you CW samurai's entire intimidation ability in a feat.

Deophaun
2013-10-24, 05:09 PM
I would suggest either Dread Necro 7/Dread Witch 3, or Dread Necro 6/Dread Witch 4 to start. Not that Dread Witch 5 is something that you should skip, just that Dread Necro 7 is awesome due to the familiar (ghostly visage is the way to go for a fear-based melee). Meanwhile, Dread Witch 4 is a good thing to also have under your belt to overcome fear immunity. But definitely get Dread Necro 7 at your next level. Then you can pick up Dread Witch 5.

As for items, there's the Fearsome armor property in Drow of the Underdark: Intimidate as a move instead of a standard, plus it gives you an enhancement bonus to your Intimidate checks. Oh, and your armor is treated as having armor spikes, because the developers just didn't know when to stop. This overrides the one in the MIC.

The Veil of Allure (MIC) is another great one, giving you a +2 bonus to the DCs of Cha-based extraordinary or supernatural abilities. Guess what your auras are?

If you have an ounce of dragonblood within you, pick up the Barbs of Retribution (MIC). The ability to inflict a reroll on a saving throw with up to a -5 penalty is something any caster would give his right eye for.

For feats: Ability Focus (fear aura) isn't bad if you're Dread Necro 7 (don't bother boosting the aura you get from the Dread Witch, as the HD cap cripples it). However, if you can get Fearsome and Fearless from Oriental Adventures, that's probably a better choice. If you have access to Players Guide to Faerun, Dreadful Wrath gives you the frightful presence ability.

Now, one other thing that I will advise you is to talk to your DM about spell research. Since you are a fixed-list caster, the only thing capping your spells known is the number of spells on your list. Researching spells expands that list. I tend to think (although this is a minority opinion on the board) that the Advanced Learning feature preclears every Wizard and Cleric necromancy spell for spell research. Ask your DM. It may be worth sinking ten or twenty thousand gold into spell research.

Eonir
2013-10-24, 06:41 PM
The Dread Knight

Dread Necromancer 8/Duskblade3/AbjurantChampion5/Spellsword1/DreadNecromancer+3

Feats
1- Tomb Tainted Soul (retrain into Heighten Spell later)
3- Item Familiar (or Spell Focus if you're DM won't allow it)
6-Imperious Command
9-I'm a fan of Versatile Spellcaster
b- Combat Casting
12- Improved Critical
15- Daunting Presence
18- Death Master

Use a longbow until you get brave enough to get into melee with whatever reach weapon you like.

Use high HD undead to supplement your melee skills. Flanking, grappling, tripping, whatever. Use your channeling ability to deliver single, powerful strikes with nasty touch spells like Enervate, Infict Wounds, and especially Shivering Touch.

I am currently playing this build all the way into the epic levels, and it's freaking awesome. I have a few, powerful undead minions (even a colossal red dragon zombie!) that make me a SUPREMELY powerful force to be reckoned with in melee).

gorfnab
2013-10-25, 04:20 PM
First off, useful reading material:
Dread Necromancer Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212)
Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)

Dreadful Wrath is a great feat for fear based builds.
Bind Vestige + Practiced Binder feats will get you access to Focalor's Aura of Sadness which gives some nice synergy with fear based abilities.