PDA

View Full Version : It's been done, but I like it.

Bryan1108
2013-10-24, 04:43 PM
The world I have been working on assumes that, pretty much tomorrow, there is a cataclysmic event in which magic returns to the world and science is disrupted by its arrival.

The world has since evolved into a Pathfinder setting. Since I am allowing Gunslinger and some Steampunk classes, science probably mostly recovered the initial disruption caused by magic but knowledge of it has largely been lost in the two centuries between the Event and the start of the campaign.

Non-Humans from elves to vampires to dragons (and even a few humans) appeared at the same time as magic with vague memories of another world.

Most cities and towns that existed before (now) are gone and have been replaced by new cities or left in ruins (the ruins of course are generally inhabited by nasty things, especially the entire island of Manhatten which is a complete hellscape).

Old borders are largely gone and civilization is just getting past the warlord stage of development and moving towards larger kingdoms. Most kingdoms are named for the city-states that they started as before extending their influence into the surrounding landscape such as the Kingdom of Lonestar which started as the City of Lonestar (founded on the ruins of what was once Dallas).

One thing that is screwing with me a little is religion. I was initially going to just bring modern religion into it but some of my players are kind of religious and I don't want to offend anyone. I think that what I settled on is fairly original but I am not sure if it is "original cool" or "original silly" which is largely what brought me here.

During the event that brought magic to the world, there was also a demi-lich that was brought along. Some say that he (it) started the Event in an effort to achieve godhood.

Anyway, Druids, Paladins and Monks appeared during the Event but this demi-lich, The Whispering Tyrant (yeah, I am planning to run Carrion Crown) was the first guy to get levels as a cleric.

So the WT was well on his way to becoming a god when a group of nine adventurers (that is one for each alignment and each class excluding monks and druids, the druid of this group becoming the second cleric ever after the group found WT's grimiore) formed and stopped him from achieving godhood by beating him and becoming gods themselves.