PDA

View Full Version : What do Minerals Weight(Cubic Feet) in D&D 3.5

Johnboy
2013-10-24, 06:44 PM
Running a wizard that will be able to cast Fabricate in the near future and cant really find a table or list of minerals in game with their cost. The spell requires 1 cubic foot of mineral materials. Trying to figure out how many of any selected weapon or armor I could make with a cubic foot of (Mineral.) Any help is much appreciated! This is my first time posting here, but long time reader.

asnys
2013-10-24, 06:45 PM
Running a wizard that will be able to cast Fabricate in the near future and cant really find a table or list of minerals in game with their cost. The spell requires 1 cubic foot of mineral materials. Trying to figure out how many of any selected weapon or armor I could make with a cubic foot of (Mineral.) Any help is much appreciated! This is my first time posting here, but long time reader.

I'm not sure if it's anywhere in the official rules, but there's always wiki if you need to know, say, the density of iron.

Johnboy
2013-10-24, 06:54 PM
Its easy enough to look up actual metals like we have in real life and find their weight that way by cubic feet. But what about other metals, such as Adamantine(A fictional metal I believe) Since armors made from this metal are significantly more costly. Although, I read somewhere in another thread that it weighed the same as iron? Id like a reference to this if its considered true.

Studoku
2013-10-24, 06:56 PM
Iron has a density of 488 lbs/ft^3. If you assume mithral weighs half as much as iron, it has a density of 244 lbs/ft^3.

Johnboy
2013-10-24, 07:11 PM
And now my next question if you can still help. Where in the Books can I find the prices for metals? I can always get weight from real life metals, but price in game of course will be through game currency. :) Still kind of new to D&D 3.5 and Im the main caster of the group. So still learning some things.

asnys
2013-10-24, 07:16 PM
Its easy enough to look up actual metals like we have in real life and find their weight that way by cubic feet. But what about other metals, such as Adamantine(A fictional metal I believe) Since armors made from this metal are significantly more costly. Although, I read somewhere in another thread that it weighed the same as iron? Id like a reference to this if its considered true.

According to the SRD (link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm)), items made of adamantine weigh the same as items made of iron, so presumably the metals have the same density.

And now my next question if you can still help. Where in the Books can I find the prices for metals? I can always get weight from real life metals, but price in game of course will be through game currency. :) Still kind of new to D&D 3.5 and Im the main caster of the group. So still learning some things.

The above link to the SRD has some types of special materials. You can find prices for iron and some other metals here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins).

Deophaun
2013-10-24, 07:21 PM
Draconomicon actually can give you the density of metal. All coins weigh the same (50 coins/lb), and there are 12,000 coins in a square foot (Draconomicon pg 278). So, when it comes to gold, silver, copper, and platinum, you're looking at 240 lbs/cubic foot.