PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Item

seth6
2013-10-24, 08:40 PM
Hi playground

I'm trying to make an intelligent magic sword for a game I'm playing we are currently 16th lvl and I got 260k gold to spend But sadly I'm not sure how to make an intelligent magic sword So i need some help the idea for the character is that he is basically bossed around by this sword who basically uses him as a ride in to battle. Ive never messed with intelligent items so i have no idea if this can be done any help would be awesome

Psyren
2013-10-24, 08:43 PM
To intentionally make one you basically need DM assistance. It's generally something that happens only by accident, and the chances are less than 1%, so your DM would tip the scales in your favor and make it happen, so to speak.

Are you playing 3.5 or Pathfinder?

Benthesquid
2013-10-24, 08:47 PM
To intentionally make one you basically need DM assistance. It's generally something that happens only by accident, and the chances are less than 1%, so your DM would tip the scales in your favor and make it happen, so to speak.

Are you playing 3.5 or Pathfinder?

If you are playing Pathfinder, look into the Magus Bladebound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) archetype, which basically involves pretending to be Elric.

seth6
2013-10-24, 08:54 PM
This is for 3.5 but if anyone knows another way to do it im all ears

Psyren
2013-10-24, 10:10 PM
I just remembered a way to do this - Nybor's Psychic Imprint. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a) You'll want a cohort for this so that they are your friend/servant, and that will carry over to the item.

seth6
2013-10-24, 10:52 PM
how do I get the book can I just buy it?

AzureKnight
2013-10-24, 10:58 PM
For dnd, get the limitations from your dm and look in the back of the dmg in the start of the treasure section is a list of creating a magical weapon. B e warned that these can be dangerous as if they are smart enough they can attempt to take control of you to act out its will and intentions.

Psyren
2013-10-24, 11:16 PM
how do I get the book can I just buy it?

You don't need any book :smalltongue: It's a 6th-level wizard spell, you can duplicate it with Limited Wish.

seth6
2013-10-24, 11:45 PM
ok how do I get a Limited wish

shaikujin
2013-10-25, 12:13 AM
Pay an NPC to cast it for you or buy a scroll and UMD it.

You can also use Nybor's Psychic Imprint on a Simulacra of yourself to ensure it's abolutely loyal.

Or on the character's parents/wife/elder siblings. The personalities of these people imprinted into the item should make it easy to roleplay having the item "boss" the character around.

To go further, give it enough powers or stats high enough to have an Ego score > 20. And also high enough to consistently overwhelm the character's rolls and force him to do what the intelligent item wants.

Urpriest
2013-10-25, 10:09 AM
Ok, I think the issue here is the following: is your character trying to create an intelligent item in-game, or are you building a character who starts out with an intelligent item as one of their possessions?

If the former, it's about as complicated as the folks in this thread are making it sound.

If the latter, though, it's very simple. There are rules for intelligent magic items here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm), and they're in an easy to find spot in the DMG. Design the item using those rules, and the rules will specify its price. If you have any trouble with that process just ask, it should be pretty simple for someone who's making a 16th level character.