PDA

View Full Version : Firey Rebirth Ritual

Machete
2007-01-04, 04:42 PM
I need some input on whether this is balanced. Feel free to use it in your campaign.

Firey Rebirth Ritual

Involves:

50 pounds of gold that is cast into a disk proper size for the target of the ritual to sit on and inlaid with a silver summoning circle. 35,000 gp to make
Blood from a creature than has the racial ability to shift its physical form or take an alternate form whose alignment matches or is one step away from the alignment of the target of the ritual. This blood is used to coat the subject of the ritual. Blood must be from a creature of equal size to the target of the ritual or larger.
2 pounds of Phoenix feathers from a still living Phoenix ground up and cast over the bloody subject.
The target must willingly lower all immunities and resistances to fire, natural or otherwise, for the purposes of the ritual. If unable to lower such defenses, the target may not participate in the ritual.
Summoning an Elder Fire Elemental inside a summoning circle at dawn where the target of the ritual stays to burn the target of the ritual for one round causing 5d10 damage no save and also consumes the gold for payment. The Elder Fire Elemental then leaves by dismissing itself.
If the target survives then they are reduced to the age of a child of their race.

Results:

Lose 3 levels that cannot be restored except by re-training(re-earning the XP)
Penalties and benefits of aging are reversed and the character faces the consequences of childhood age: -1 Strength, -1 Constitution, +1 Dexterity, +1 Charisma as well as being reduced by one size class (or other as appropriate). The feat from the 3 lost levels is lost. Ability score increases every four levels are lost by the lost levels but can be re-earned.
Ability Score Increases from Wishes and other supernatural means are not lost.
Target of the ritual ages as before the ritual.

XtheYeti
2007-01-05, 01:03 PM
i have only 1 question. Why would i want to do this?

Duke of URL
2007-01-05, 01:35 PM
i have only 1 question. Why would i want to do this?

For those of a particularly "immortal" mindset, 'tis better than dying of old age. Of course, this seems particularly evil, as it requires the blood of another creature, so I doubt your local Paladin will be doing this anytime soon.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-05, 01:35 PM
Immortality

Edit: Ninja'd =(

Duke of URL
2007-01-05, 01:52 PM
You should include that the target must willingly lower all immunities and resistances to fire, natural or otherwise, for the purposes of the ritual. If unable to lower such defenses, the target may not participate in the ritual.

XtheYeti
2007-01-05, 01:54 PM
ok so you spend a bunch of gp and have your body burned and you come back as a kid. ok but what if the 6d10 fire damage kills you? you still get reborn right?

Duke of URL
2007-01-05, 02:06 PM
ok so you spend a bunch of gp and have your body burned and you come back as a kid. ok but what if the 6d10 fire damage kills you? you still get reborn right?

Nope:

If the target survives then they are reduced to the age of a child of their race.

You're going to take 6-60 fire damage (avg. 33), and lose 3 levels, so you'd better not try this as a low-level or even mid-level character (don't forget you'll lose 3 HD worth of HP on top of the fire damage).

Or, more simply, evil immortality rituals come with a degree of risk. :smallbiggrin:

Machete
2007-01-05, 03:38 PM
Alright, added in the fire resistance part and lowered the damage taken to 5d10.

Note that the blood from the shapeshifter can be donated over time and killing isn't necessary, of course I wouldn't spell it out so plainly but instead make the characters figure it out..

The ritual isn't evil. It is designed to be geared more towards neutrality. Not good mind you, but good characters rarely chase after immortality anyways. It isn't like their afterlife will be all that bad.