PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Dice (for Art and Romance)

Lonely Tylenol
2013-10-24, 11:53 PM
So, I have decided to get-slash-make someone very dear to me a totem that can act as a reminder of my affection for her, as it is my understanding that this is a human custom which is accepted with high regards. I have, however, decided to stray from the beaten path of dead plants and shiny metals, and try to hit closer to home. I'm going to make her a gift that will carry weight and feel literally only she will be fully aware of.

That's right... I'm modeling my gift off of the totems from Inception. (Well, what did you think I meant?)

Since we both play D&D, I've decided that my gift to her will be my personal spin on Arthur's totem: a pair of dice, both weighted, one to roll high and one to roll low. Unlike Arthur's dice, these dice will be physically and visually distinct from the average die (this ensures they won't ever be mistaken for gambling dice, or used at my table by anyone), but only the two of us will know the exact numbers the die will fall on (and only she will know the exact distribution of weight).

I know the basics of cooking (plastic) dice, but am hoping some of you will know the answers to the following:
- Are there any other materials commonly used for making dice (such as metals, or glass-like materials, or even crystals) that are malleable enough to be cooked into loaded dice?
- What effect, if any, does cooking dice (at different temperatures) have on the paint on the dice? (What's a sage threshold to cook them at without destroying any art on them?)

Pretty sure that's all on my mind for now, but of course I'll refer to this if I have any more questions.

Mahalo in advance!

Krazzman
2013-10-25, 01:19 AM
Steel and wire can be used. Assuming a d6.

IF you can work with metals then you can weigh them via a simple method:
make 2 dice and cut them in half. hollow one half of each dice out and put them back together.

If you want it to land more on the 6 you can also hollow the 6 out specially and put a) a lighter metal into it to form the dots, b) hollow the other points out too and fill them with lead/heavier metal and c) put a nice "glass" in these openings.

This can be done with wooden dice too.

Hope this helps.