PDA

View Full Version : Summon Monstrous Defender

Tvtyrant
2013-10-25, 12:39 AM
Monstrous Defender Domain:

1/day a Cleric with the Monstrous Defender Domain can cast a Summon Monstrous Defender spell as if it was 1 level higher than it is.

1. Summon Monstrous Defender I
2. Summon Monstrous Defender II
3. Summon Monstrous Defender III
4. Summon Monstrous Defender IV
5. Summon Monstrous Defender V
6. Summon Monstrous Defender VI
7. Summon Monstrous Defender VII
8. Summon Monstrous Defender VIII
9. Summon Monstrous Defender IX

10. Summon Monstrous Defender X (Only by casting Summon Monstrous Defender IX and using the domain ability.)

Summon Monstrous Defender I
Level:Monstrous Domain 1
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a monstrous creature (typically a monstrous humanoid or magical beast). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

The spell conjures one of the creatures from the 1st-level list below. You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell.

A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

Summon Monstrous Defender I list:

Aaralocra
Skuriad (Monster Manual IV)
Stirge
Gibberling
corollax (Monster Manual II, OP)

Summon Monstrous Defender II
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender II
Effect:
One or more summoned creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
This spell functions like Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 2nd-level list or 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 1st-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender II List:

Whitespawn Hordeling (Monster Manual IV)
Yurian (Aquatic, Fiend Folio)
Krenshar
Darkmantle
Grimlock

Summon Monstrous Defender III
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender III
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 3rd-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 2nd-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 1st-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender III List:

Blink Dog
Bloodsilk Spider (Monster Manual IV)
Greenspawn Leaper (Monster Manual IV)
Shocker Lizard
Greenspawn Sneak (Monster Manual IV)
Sahuagin (Aquatic)

Summon Monstrous Defender IV
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender IV
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 4th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 3rd-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 2nd-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender IV List:

Cockatrice
Unicorn
Khaasta (Fiend Folio)
Centaur
Wemic (Monsters of Faerun)

Summon Monstrous Defender V
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender V
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the tth-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 4th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 3rd-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender V List:

Griffon
Hydra, 5-headed
Blackspawn Raider (Monster Manual IV)
Minotaur
Sea Cat

Summon Monstrous Defender VI
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender VI
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 6th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 5th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 4th-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender VI List:

Varrangoin, Lesser (Fiend Folio)
Redspawn Firebelcher (Monster Manual IV)
Ormyrr (Monster Manual II)
Lamia
Hydra, 7-headed
Kopru (Aquatic, Monster Manual II) (Swap for Lamia in Aquatic)

Summon Monstrous Defender VII
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender VII
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 7th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 6th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 5th-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender VII List:
Greathorn Minotaur (Monster Manual IV)
Scorpionfolk (Monster Manual, not SRD)
Behir
Bulette
Gorgon

Summon Monstrous Defender VIII
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender VIII
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 8th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 7th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 6th-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender VIII List:

Sarkrith Thane (Fiend Folio)
Bluespawn Godslayer (Monster Manual IV)
Hydra, 10-headed
Beast of Malar (Monsters of Faerun)
Rager Varrangoin (Fiend Folio)

Summon Monstrous Defender IX
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender IX
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 9th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 8th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 7th-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender IX List:

War Troll (Monster Manual III)
Mivilorn (Monster Manual III)
Hydra, 12-headed
Kraken (Aquatic)
Frost Worm

Summon Monstrous Defender X
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level:
Monstrous Defender X
Effect:
This spell functions like Summon Monstrous Defender I, except that you can summon one creature from the 10th-level list, 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 9th-level list, or 1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from the 8th-level list.

Summon Monstrous Defender X List:

Hydra, cryo/pyro, 12-headed
Sarkrith Spelleater

Tvtyrant
2013-10-25, 12:41 AM
Basically Summon Nature's Ally or Summon Monster for more... Monstrous monsters. I might make a Summon Xeno domain later with aberrations.

I actually cut the original numbers down to 5 for the reason that otherwise it gave too many options for a single domain. For this same reason I avoided most of the casting types, because the Cleric doesn't really need a boost. I tried to pick interesting options, but some of them I am on the wall about. Roper vs. Frost Worm is one, having so many weapon based users at the high end (Godslayer, War Troll and Sarkith Thane) is another.

Feel free to comment, make suggestions, tell me why it doesn't work.

Zaydos
2013-10-25, 08:23 AM
Looking over it my biggest comment it mark where the non-Core creatures come from (i.e. anything not from Monster Manual), some of them I recognize as MMIV or Monsters of Faerun (unless they've been reprinted) but it's much easier to find them if you have a vague idea what they're from.

Beyond that, looking over the MM ones:
At low levels its a nice versatile little summon spell, comparable to SM and SNA (at II for example I'd prefer it to SM but prefer SNA to it).

That said you are lacking aquatic forms for most levels which should probably be added if possible.

I'd also add pegasus for SMDIV or swap unicorn for it (which is a major nerf as unicorn opens up healing potential).

Overall though I like the idea of a summon spell for monstrous creatures.

Tvtyrant
2013-10-25, 12:04 PM
Looking over it my biggest comment it mark where the non-Core creatures come from (i.e. anything not from Monster Manual), some of them I recognize as MMIV or Monsters of Faerun (unless they've been reprinted) but it's much easier to find them if you have a vague idea what they're from.

Beyond that, looking over the MM ones:
At low levels its a nice versatile little summon spell, comparable to SM and SNA (at II for example I'd prefer it to SM but prefer SNA to it).

That said you are lacking aquatic forms for most levels which should probably be added if possible.

I'd also add pegasus for SMDIV or swap unicorn for it (which is a major nerf as unicorn opens up healing potential).

Overall though I like the idea of a summon spell for monstrous creatures.

I did my best with the aquatics, there just doesn't seem to be that many aquatic magical beasts or monstrous humanoids. If you know of any that would fit in slots I haven't filled I would appreciate it!

I also filled in the location of the none-srd monsters for you. I will think about the Pegasus, but I would hate to lose the Unicorn.