PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Fighting Hand Crossbows a how to guide.

Laith Amekir
2013-10-25, 01:17 AM
Alright, so we have all thought about it, how awesome would it be to dual-wield hand crossbows! but you must have a third hand to reload them with or else its not plausible they say. I disagree with this statement!

After much tinkering and a long thought out process, I crafted a quick hand crossbow re-loader. How would this work you ask? Well first you take leather and you make the harness for the quick re-load device. One strap over your left shoulder and back attached to a belt around your waist that is tight and snug around your shoulder and the belt at your waist is also tight and snug. You have another leather strap running down your thigh right to above your knee and you make this connect to other strap that goes around your leg. So now you have three brace points Shoulder to waist, Waist to waist and Thigh to thigh/waist. The belt/waist strap has a metal hook that catches a the quick reload bar on the hand crossbow as a cool action star would make it look like he is holstering his gun, you are actually cocking your hand crossbow!

Now for the bolt loader. The Bolt loader has a metal box (You can use mithril to make it lighter and harder.) inside this device is a spring much like a clip on the a gun it will push the next bolt into place ready to be loaded. When you push the hand crossbow down and **** the string, the bolt side of the hand crossbow facing you, its actually going down the metal portion of the box (Also protects your leg from bad loading form on a natural 1 roll for a dex check). When pushing the hand crossbow down the bolt is actually following the string into the groove and the pin that holds the bolt in place when us bring the crossbow off the hook, holds the bolt in place as it comes free of the quick reload box. Thus your hand crossbow is reloaded!

Game stat wise I made it a better sell for my DM, first I had to have a strength of 12 to be able to **** the hand crossbow this way alone. Second I had to have the feat rapid reload and improved fast reload. But I also had to actually craft it in game (Also crafted in real life to show it is possible). Also I had to have a Dex of 16 to have the coordination to do this. Also each time I reloaded this way I had to make a Dexterity check DC 10 to successfully reload. If I rolled a 1 I would have to take a move action to unjam the bolt before i could re-use it. However being able to dual wield hand crossbows was worth it. Not only that but aesthetic value to visualize it was amazing. The last requirement or stipulation i had on it was you could only hold 5 bolts per box so you could get a total of 10 shots off before you needed to reload the quick reload.

As I grew as a player and realized magic was ultimately a good thing in the world I also used this to my advantage. I made a mithril shafted adamantine tipped bolt, and enchanted it with +1 of returning. The return spot... the reload box. I made 10 bolts total. By sixth level I was doing 5 attacks in a single round. (Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Rapid Shot) Twelfth level I was doing 7 attacks, and 16th level 9 attacks. As I increased in levels and gold, I started tinkering with the bolts and made an artifice archer/imitation arcane archer. I would attach beads of fireball to the tips from necklace of fireballs and other things of the sort as an idea of what i was doing. If I successfully rolled an attack against the enemy there would be no room for a reflex save due to it going off in this body. I called this "My anti-rogue ability"

My GM gave me a props for being creative and thinking outside the box. Now all of this is ultimately up to your GM but if you can base it on some realistic aspects most GM's will allow it.

I hope this helps to give you idea's to dual wield hand crossbows and how to do it. Not sure if anyone else has come up with other idea's.

Laith Amekir

Captnq
2013-10-25, 08:40 AM
One, The Weapon Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871).

Two:

CROSSBOW, HAND DOUBLE
- RACES OF THE DRAGON (3.5)
Exotic Ranged Weapon
Cost: 200 gp
Damage (s): 1d3
Damage (m): 1d4
Critical: 19-20/x2
Range: 30 ft
Weight: 3 lb
Type: P
Ammo: Bolt

HAND CROSSBOW BLADE
- COMPLETE SCOUNDREL (3.5)
Simple Light Melee Weapon
Cost: 4 gp
Damage (s): 1d3
Damage (m): 1d4
Critical: 19-20/x2
Weight: 1/2 lb
Type: P or S

WSA:
QUICK LOADING
- MAGIC ITEM COMPENDIUM (3.5)
- MAGIC OF FAERUN (3.0)
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Crossbow
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) conjuration
Activation: Free (manipulation) [Hand Crossbows]
SUMMARY: Extradimensional space holds 100 crossbow bolts. Loads as a free action for hand crossbows.

So, that's 4 Hand Crossbows and they will all auto load as a free action. BUT WAIT...

Actually, I'll just sum it up.

I can make a light ballista that loads as a free action and flies and gets a free attack.

I can make my quad crossbow deal with oversized heavy crossbows and they reload as a free action.

You've got unlimited shots, however.

Segev
2013-10-25, 08:51 AM
Handing items off to others is a free action. Have unseen servants via magic item(s).

alternatively, have enough hand crossbows that you don't need to stop to reload and take quick-draw.

IronFist
2013-10-25, 08:53 AM
One, (...)

Two:
(...)

Three.
Rider Kick!

Psyren
2013-10-25, 08:55 AM
It's unclear how this works if you're dual-wielding - they specify a full-round action (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) to fire both the crossbows in a double-set, and mention that you can dual-wield them, but they don't change the action required to fire both the bows on one hand. So by a strict-reading you'd need two full-round actions to fire all four bows. The intent seems to be that you can quad-fire with a full-attack though.

Game stat wise I made it a better sell for my DM, first I had to have a strength of 12 to be able to **** the hand crossbow this way alone.

Uh... do I want to know what verb that was? :smalleek:

Spore
2013-10-25, 09:04 AM
Uh... do I want to know what verb that was? :smalleek:

Clearly it said **** :smalltongue:

StreamOfTheSky
2013-10-25, 12:49 PM
An inexpensive option long-term is two gloves of the master strategist, from ghostwalk. They cost 3500 gp each, iirc. They work as glove of storing, plus give you True Strike 1/day. If you're wondering how they're 1/3 the price of gloves of storing and yet plainly better... that's thanks to WotC grossly inflating the price of many magic items from 3.0 to 3.5, to the point where they're just not worth the money.

Thankfully, Ghostwalk got a 3.5 update and they didn't touch the price of the glove, so using them for that price is 100% legit.

Red Fel
2013-10-25, 12:51 PM
Three.
Rider Kick!

Totally irrelevant, but this made me smile today.

Bravo, IF.

IronFist
2013-10-25, 12:58 PM
Totally irrelevant, but this made me smile today.

Bravo, IF.

*bows*
My work here is done.

Big Fau
2013-10-25, 01:03 PM
Alright, so we have all thought about it, how awesome would it be to dual-wield hand crossbows! but you must have a third hand to reload them with or else its not plausible they say.

The third hand is a specific magic item. It's actually called a Spare Hand, and it's in the MiC.

Psyren
2013-10-25, 01:04 PM
You can also use an extra appendage (if you've got one) for this purpose, like a tiefling's Prehensile Tail or an alchemist's Tentacle/Vestigial Arm.

IronFist
2013-10-25, 01:06 PM
You can also use an extra appendage (if you've got one) for this purpose, like a tiefling's Prehensile Tail or an alchemist's Tentacle/Vestigial Arm.

Or a witch's hair hex.

Joe the Rat
2013-10-25, 01:15 PM
Or a witch's hair hex.Sweet Zagyg, I can make Dr. Dreadlock, complete with dual-wielding pistols hand crossbows.

IronFist
2013-10-25, 01:32 PM
Sweet Zagyg, I can make Dr. Dreadlock, complete with dual-wielding pistols hand crossbows.

Actually, since it's already PF, you can do it pistols as well.
Well, you could do it with pistols in 3.5 as well, they are in the DMG. :smalltongue:

Segev
2013-10-25, 01:41 PM
...a gunslinger/white-haired witch bald dwarf whose beard is his "white hair..."

Artillery
2013-10-25, 02:19 PM
Hand Crossbow focus makes reloading them a free action. Totally worth it if dual wielding.

A good volley archer is if you take a level of Warblade and get the Stance Blood in the Water. With Keen or Improved Crit making you crit 20% of the time you can get some nice bonuses from it.

A level in warblade will get you Blood in the Water, +1 bonus per critical hit which stacks. Wolf Fang Strike which works even if you don't have TWF and is a standard action letting you move and attack. Sudden Leap for swift action movement. Plenty of other good ones too. Goes well with crit fishing in general.

You could also do Aptitude Hand Crossbows and do the Lightning Mace build.

Annos
2013-10-25, 02:40 PM
For third hands I am a fan of Prehensile Tails.

Captnq
2013-10-25, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah. Here it is. Meet the BFG (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16040887&postcount=12).

Oh, and you can still make them Deathwand crossbows and add an underslung bayonet so you can add three wand chambers and make this monster with 7 wands at the ready.

You know, in case shooting 7 ballista bolts a round isn't good enough.