PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 abjurant champion build

Raezeman
2013-10-25, 07:45 AM
So, i am making an abjurant champion build and i could use some help/advice.
The built would consist out of some base class(es) to get to the requirements, 5 levels of abjurant champion and for finishing maybe some eldritch knight.

So may current way i would do this is: Battle sorcerer 6/ fighter 1/ abjurant champion 5, eldritch knight 8. The upside of this is the good amount of hit points and bab as the battle sorcerer has d8 and cleric progression. The downside is the rather low amount of spells known and per day. A first question that arises here is: is eldritch knight really necessary? It looses one caster level, but gives a fighter bonus feat in return. it has d6 which is more than the classic sorcerer, but less than the battle sorcerer, so there is a loss in health points, and is the full bab really necessary? I could go with more battle sorcerer after that, which would thus also purge the need of proficiency with all martial weapons since the abjurant just needs one, meaning the level of fighter can go home too as the battle sorcerer gets one martial weapon proficiency free (bab of +5 requirement would then still mean 7 levels battle sorcerer instead of 6, so abjuring champ doesn't come earlier). This would then mean full caster level instead of 2 missing, level 9 spells at level 18.

So then, the downside of the battle sorcerer i mentioned, the low number of spells known and per day can be solved by taking wizard or sorcerer as a start. This ofcourse would mean: 1) less hit points with that d4 and 2) less ban. This could mean adding more levels of fighter to get the bab quicker and the weapon proficiency, which then means more health points but lower caster level. Or waiting longer to go into abjurant champion with sorcerer ban and taking a feat for weapon proficiency (which we would be starved here for). This would result in full caster level yes, but drastic low health points and bab for a character that is planned to go into melee. Here, adding eldritch knight is probably a good idea if you add fighter into it, since the weapon proficiency is fulfilled then.

So, what do you guys think? it's kind of a compitition between caster level, bab, HP, spells known/per day and the need to take a PrC as soon as possible. Or maybe there are better beginning classes with it? i don't really like duskblade for it, doesn't really seem to fit (my dwarven duskblade in a campaign is going full duskblade), and (battle) sorcerer can take some good melee oriented spells, but some general control and help-your-friends spells to, like haste.

Xerlith
2013-10-25, 11:36 AM
You could also go [hexblade or paladin]2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/Abjurant Champion5 and not bother yourself with a sub-par Battle Sorcerer option.

You didn't really tell us what you want from your character. Is it a generic gish build? Then a classic paladin2/Sorc4/spellsword1/Abjurant Champion5/Sacred Exorcist8 does the trick without much effort. Nets you 16 BAB and 9th level spells as well as Turn Undead for whatever Divine feats you may want.

Not wanting paladin? Okay

Bard2/Hexblade2/Duskblade3/Suel Arcanamach4/Sublime Chord1/AbjChamp5/Sublime Chord +3

Gets nines as well, has bardic music for whatever use you may want it, has 16 BAB.