PDA

View Full Version : Amminon (D&D 3.5 race with nondimensional storage)

Kazyan
2013-10-25, 09:17 AM
Amminon

Amminon are a race that have incorporated extradimensional magic into their bodies over time. They have evolved to be fair and ultra-thin, but nonetheless physically capable.

Personality

Amminon are fixated on material things, with a strong sense of possessions. They often have individualist streaks, and are usually contemplative or reserved. Amminon dislike excessive attention, preferring relatively quiet lives--they are uncomfortable at parties, and individual achievements are rewarded by a small circle of friends/family instead of large gatherings. Amminon generally are level-headed but stay true to the emotions they do have, which they regard as very personal. As a result, amminon rarely become devotees of outside forces, and have difficulty finding love or strong friendships.

Physical Description

Amminon look impossibly thin to most races. They arms may be just an inch thick, their legs extremely bony, and their body overall emaciated to what would appear to be the edge of death. Their otherwise faintly tan skin is crisscrossed with electric bands of blackness. They often have bright, silver hair, but sometimes it is a vivid red, yellow, or black. Their facial structure makes them look sleepy. Various locations of their body have thimble-sized divots in the bone with a black interior, which are tiny gateways to their nondimensional interior. These locations are relatively out-of-the-way: three behind each ear, one at the palm of each hand near the wrist, one at the elbows, and one in the arch of each foot. Most amminon grow out their hair to give their bodies a greater visual presence, and typically wear padded full-body suits under their clothing when in the company of other races--this masks their extraordinary thinness. Typical amminon men and women are anywhere between 4' 6" and 5' 2".

Relations

Amminon disagree with any loud or overly-social race, such as gnomes, since they don't like attention, but they get along well with elves and other reserved races. Elves make great friends for amminon, as they have thinness and introversion in common. Halflings typically avoid amminon. Half-orc stature may be intimidating, but their simple pleasures and true emotions make them a friend of an amminon surpisingly often. Amminon and dwarves have no particular dislike between them, and while they have materialism in common, they typically prefer not to mingle. Humans, as always, are an amminon's second best friend; half-elves less so.

Alignment

Amminon tend towards neutrality on the good-evil axis; they're more introspective and personal than most races, so they generally lack cruelty or altruism. They have no particular leanings regarding law or chaos.

Lands

Amminon prefer compact cities and small settlements; they have no need for much room where they live, only land for farming and such. Their settlements are sometimes integrated into those of other races, at the edges or in difficult terrains.

Religion

Amminon are not particularly religious, and have no patron god. They practice religion similarly to humans.

Language

Amminon have their own language, Serphonic, but they also typically have individualized language ciphers that they think and talk to themselves in. Of course, they are also familiar with Common.

Names

Amminon have different names for each language they speak in. They usually allow their friends to provide their own names, so Amminon do not have a set of typical names in Common.

Adventurers

Amminon can become adventurers when they remove themselves from the rest of their society, being even more reserved than normal, or perhaps they're extroverts and want to explore other people. Wanderlust is common.

Racial Traits

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Amminon are introverted, with an off-putting emaciated appearance, but their incredible thinness gives them more precise control over how they move.
Humanoid type: Though ghastly in appearance, amminon are still humanoids.
+2 bonus on Escape Artist checks: Amminon are so thin that they can squeeze through tight spaces easily.
Medium size: Amminon are medium-size creatures, and gain no special bonuses or penalties based on size.
Land speed: 30 feet.
Nondimensional Space: Amminon can store items in their body. This is similar to the Personal Space (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) alternate class feature of the Nomad, except that it is based on the amminon's HD rather than Nomad class level, and does not require psionic focus to use. Their nondimensional space is actually larger than this, but it also contains organs, muscle, and fat tissue that take up the rest of the room; this is where their apparently-missing flesh is stored. Though their bodies may be thin, much of the physical functionality is nondimensional, so they are not physically crippled by any lack of strength or hardiness.
Sockets: Amminon have twelve smaller nondimensional pockets in their body, accessible through thimble-shaped divots: three behind each ear, one at the palm of each hand near the wrist, one at the elbows, and one in the arch of each foot. These pockets are shaped to hold thin objects up to a foot long, such as pens, small marbles, and wands. Wands held within the sockets of the hands--and only the hands--can be activated as if they were held. Sockets otherwise behave similarly to the larger nondimensional space. Items can be retrieved as a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, except for from that sockets on the feet, quick require a full-round action.
Antimagic Reaction: When affected by an antimagic field, dead magic zone, or some other antimagic effect that would close the opening to an extradimensional space in item form (such as a Bag of Holding), An amminon's body abruptly injects their extradimensional organs into their corporeal body, instead of cutting them off. In this state, the amminon appears to bloat up and is profoundly pained. They take a -4 penalty to Constitution and Dexterity until the source of antimagic is removed. For every minute of continued exposure, the amminon takes 1 Constitution damage as their organs are squeezed in too-little space.
Languages: Common, Serphonic, and a unique personal language. Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarven, Auran, Orc, Goblin, Celestial.
Level Adjustment: +0

Grinner
2013-10-25, 10:02 AM
So their innards are held in extradimensional space?

That's really cool.

Amnoriath
2013-10-25, 11:45 AM
I would say at least make the magic item activation part of a feat because being able to activate 12 wands or other items of similar size without any action cost to retrieve or occupy a hand is a major advantage. I could also see a infultration character reveal a hidden weapon much faster than the normal quick draw.

Zaydos
2013-10-25, 12:57 PM
Personally I'd only allow the wands in the sockets situated at the hands to be activated, giving you 2 extra wands which is still useful without being as optimizable, and give them some other ability like a +2 to Dex (the pocket space ability is worth about the same as a handy-haversack which is less than a feat or say +2 to saves versus spells and spell-like abilities) and maybe a +2 bonus to sleight of hand checks.

Kazyan
2013-10-25, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the comments. I've nerfed the socket-activation to what Zaydos suggested and have granted +2 Dexterity.

~Corvus~
2013-10-25, 02:44 PM
Have you considered Farlanghan as a deific leaning? He is a Neutral god and the gof od Roads and travel, protection and such. He is the patron god of travellers of all kinds.

TuggyNE
2013-10-25, 05:45 PM
What happens if they enter an AMF or dead magic zone, or get hit by an antimagic ray or a beholder's central eye? I can think of four possibilities:

They die or at least take heavy Con damage, as their blood vessels and nerves and what-not are severed by the closing of the nondimensional portals
Their body is built with quick-release valve equivalents, so they take a little damage and need to get out fairly soon before Con damage starts racking up from their isolated organs
They have an (Ex or Su) ability to sense areas of dead or anti-magic from a distance and avoid them (presumably either dying or taking some Con damage, as above, if they do get trapped inside anyway)
They can make a Will/Fort save to maintain the nondimensional links every round (DC 20 or 25, probably, like a soulknife's mind blade in an AMF); failure would mean they suffer the penalties as above

Me, I'd suggest combining #4 with #2. Otherwise, there's a big glaring target for anyone with enough ranks in K:Local to realize that they store their organs in a way that's highly vulnerable to antimagic.

Agent 451
2013-10-26, 12:03 AM
Don't extraordinary abilities function within antimagic fields without any fuss? That would bypass the problem altogether.

Kazyan
2013-10-26, 12:09 AM
I went with option #2. That's edited in now.

TuggyNE
2013-10-26, 01:16 AM
I went with option #2. That's edited in now.

Seems like a good writeup.

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-26, 11:27 AM
I'd actually say the Amminon would have developed an elastic flesh and resilient organs as a contingency (considering they used magic to do this they'd know the vulnerability), so maybe a few racial feats to mitigate the negative effects of an antimagic field on them, first being to extend the time between damage, second reducing the penalty, and third negating the damage entirely, leaving only the reduced penalty so they're still penalized for being in an antimagic field, but it's no longer lethal.

Also, Slight Build (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) may be a good thing to add to the race

~Corvus~
2013-10-26, 01:58 PM
I'd actually say the Amminon would have developed an elastic flesh and resilient organs as a contingency (considering they used magic to do this they'd know the vulnerability), so maybe a few racial feats to mitigate the negative effects of an antimagic field on them, first being to extend the time between damage, second reducing the penalty, and third negating the damage entirely, leaving only the reduced penalty so they're still penalized for being in an antimagic field, but it's no longer lethal.

I agree. I really think that the storage space is cool, and I might even suggest an *alternate* method of dealing with this, particularly because...what happens if one of these guys gets a ring that shrinks their size and then they get stuffed into a Haversack or the like?

Maybe make their bodies resistant to the distortion and disruptive effects of an Antimagic Field, etc. such that only in regards to their extra space they can ignore ability damage as if they have spell resistant equal to, say, 10+ character level. Racial feats can extend the base resistance, and it only affects their space. This might be potent and require a little rewording, but I see it as an elegant workaround.