PDA

View Full Version : Combat expertice and fighting defensively

pilvento
2013-10-25, 12:34 PM
How does this two interact exactly?

If I have feats or features that interact with fighting defensively, do they work when I use combat expertice? like elaborate parry class feature or einhander feat?

Under combat expertice feat it states:

A character without the Combat Expertise feat can fight defensively while using the attack or full attack action to take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Is combat expertice intended to be a replacement from fight defensively?

Naomi Li
2013-10-25, 01:09 PM
I believe that you're allowed to use both at once if you desire.

Captnq
2013-10-25, 01:15 PM
Well, if you plan on actually fighting defensively, I recommend the WSAs defensive surge, arrowdeath, avoidance, defense, snail and spellshield. At least get some weapons that work with your battle style.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-25, 02:05 PM
Well technically, only certain abilities allow you to activate them with either Combat Expertise or fighting defensively. It's unfortunately not an automatic equivalency.

This is something I would talk to your DM about and see if he's willing to house rule it to work, since it's almost a no-brainer that the two should be equivalent.

gorfnab
2013-10-25, 03:44 PM
Here is a handbook that might be useful: A short guide to defensive fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178445)

How does this two interact exactly?

They stack. You can use both at the same time, however the -X on attacks may be a hinderance.

If I have feats or features that interact with fighting defensively, do they work when I use combat expertice? like elaborate parry class feature or einhander feat?

Completely depends on the wording of the feat or ability. Some only work while Fighting Defensively, Some only work when using Combat Expertise, and some work when either Fighting Defensively or using Combat Expertise with at least a -2 usage.

Under combat expertice feat it states:

A character without the Combat Expertise feat can fight defensively while using the attack or full attack action to take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Is combat expertice intended to be a replacement from fight defensively?
Early on that was probably the intention. As more sourcebooks came along and more abilities and classes and what not started appearing, new bonuses and uses for Fighting Defensively and Combat Expertise appeared. I would chalk up the differences in when either is supposed to be used with an ability as bad editing. In my opinion all the feats and abilities that only require Fighting Defensively should be usable if using Combat Expertise of -2.