PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help me build a Cleric 8

Spore
2013-10-25, 03:35 PM
Hey,

so I plan on replacing my rogue with another character (not as terrible) in my pathfinder round. I had another thread but the focus of the topic wasn't terribly accurate. The group consists of:

Human twohanded Paladin with Oath of Vengeance
He is basically healer and face for the group

Dwarven Barbarian with Superstition
He deals our damage and he doesnt accept magical buffs. Superstition and sorts. If I'd play buffer, he always beats his Will/Fort Saves.

Half Fey Sorcerer with Fey bloodline
He is the controller, deals little magical damage, and justs dabbles with Haste and mind affecting spells.

I have decided on a Cleric of our homebrew Falcon goddess (CG). Her domains are: Glory, Chaos, Good, Liberation, War. Her favored weapon is the Longbow.

How would you build her when you wanted to add in a little bit of flexibility with the bow but would still be casting spells 80% of the combat rounds (except when a nasty flying critter comes around).

I found my character! Now to optimize her.

Sourcebooks:
CRB, APG, ARG, UM, UC, no gear from UE sadly. Other exceptional third party stuff is unlikely to be accepted.

magotter
2013-10-25, 07:59 PM
For full-caster options I'd recommend Druid, Oracle, or Witch.

Druid is, as it ever was, full of variety. If you want to be a heavy caster, then go with Eagle Shaman and the Weather Domain. your party has two tank/melee heavy characters, so you really don't need to throw in a companion, and the weather domain makes for the best battlefield control. Bonus points for eagle shaman, which lets you stay out of combat and still cast away, or gain 3 natural attacks for some blendering if you do get stuck in tight. Just be sure to take Shaping Focus at level 7 so that your non-bird wildshapes match up to your others. And of course, a 1 or 2 level dip into a crane wing-ing master of many styles monk not only fits with the build's avian theme, but gives you great benefits (amazing melee ability, wis to AC, +3 to saves, etc etc).

Oracle has a lot of option to work with, but you have to stick one and run with it. Oradin is always popular if you want to boost everyone on the field (and even if the Barb says no, you can still probably convince him that healing isn't the same as arcane magic. your mileage may vary).

Witch is another bag of fun tricks. White haired witches can shut down the battlefield all day long if built for it. Scarred witch doctors are less MAD and get to use CON for casting, meaning you won't have to worry about dying. and even vanilla witch has a pretty damn good spell list, innate familiar (and imp. familiar) benefits, and all those fun cackling hexes.

For 2/3 casters, I love me some Alchemist and Magus.

Dex-based alchemists are a wee bit trickier to build than their Strength-based counterparts, but get a lot more surviveability and versatility. Mad Bombers can dispel, disable, and confuse opponents with tough to beat saves (or no save at all with confusion bomb). and with fast bombs you can AoE targets. Even as a Mr. Hyde dex is a great option. Piranha Strike instead of power attack, then Feral Mutagen means at least 3 attacks per round from as early as level 2. by level 10 you can add pounce to that. The only caveat is that you are pretty much required to get an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists. The same Monk dip as above, or a dip into Urban Barbarian will boost your Dex even higher. The only downside to Alchemist is that the spells are almost exclusively self-buffed. on the upside, if you lie to the barbarian and pass your potions/infusions off as really good Jaegerbrau, he might end up quaffing them.

Magus is your go to option if you just want to get into a pissing contest with the barbarian over who can deal more (consistent) damage. Magical Lineage + Intensify Spell + Shocking Grasp is par for the course. Dervish Dance -or- an Agile Rapier will let you go crit fishing for a x2 to that 10d6 lightning blast. Of all the options, I'd think Magus may just be the most cost intensive, though, as you'll need as many level 1 Pearls of Power as there are rounds of fighting in a day. Not that Magus is a 1-trick pony. Just... more like a 4-trick pony. A minor array of tricksy spells can adequately shape the battlefield around you and help your pally and barb compatriots.

Lastly, as an addendum, if you want much the same as before, only better, make a ninja. recall that ninja can take Any Rogue Talent in place of a Ninja Trick (vice versa also, technically, minus the fact rogues lack a ki pool).

Spore
2013-10-25, 10:14 PM
For full-caster options I'd recommend Druid, Oracle, or Witch.

I do have an Oracle and we have three witches in play in different parties. Yeah, I like the idea of eagle shaman. But I think shaping focus doesn't apply here.

For 2/3 casters, I love me some Alchemist and Magus.

We have two Magi in play right now but I thought about a myrmidon (basically making spellstrike with a composite bow). The bomber is also considered. Buffing the barb is hard as he has to make a check by RAW for every spell effect that hits him. And the player of the paladin stated that drinking potions infight is a wasted turn for him. :smallmad:

Lastly, as an addendum, if you want much the same as before, only better, make a ninja. recall that ninja can take Any Rogue Talent in place of a Ninja Trick (vice versa also, technically, minus the fact rogues lack a ki pool).

My DM resents eastern classes. IF I would get permission for that I am likely to expect more harassment than good.

Thank you for your elaborate tips.

avr
2013-10-26, 12:52 AM
Knowledge, ranged combat, sneaky enemies. I assume the druid class is in there to provide high perception to deal with the last as well as for the points you listed.

It should work. If you're going to be doing a lot of AoE attacks you might like to pick up metamagic like Rime Spell and/or Selective Spell, via rods or feats.

Other ideas - a Cleric with the Trickery domain, a trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/eyes-and-ears-of-the-city-god-of-commerce) and the veiled illusionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/veiled-illusionist) PrC could do the same thing more sneakily. Or honestly a ranger (preferably with the Guide archetype) could do the same jobs.

Spore
2013-10-26, 01:06 PM
I cannot really think of a convincing backstory for my druid so I will settle for an Aasimar bow Inquisitor (Domains: Chaos, Good, War, Liberation, Glory) with a +1 Wounding Composite Longbow. Stacking up the Bleed damage through 3-5 attacks per round.

If anyone could provide me a plot hook or a creative druid adventuring motivation feel free to post.

magotter
2013-10-26, 08:55 PM
I cannot really think of a convincing backstory for my druid so I will settle for an Aasimar bow Inquisitor (Domains: Chaos, Good, War, Liberation, Glory) with a +1 Wounding Composite Longbow. Stacking up the Bleed damage through 3-5 attacks per round.

If anyone could provide me a plot hook or a creative druid adventuring motivation feel free to post.

On the assumption you're into the Eagle Shaman with Monk dip, here's an idea of what i used when i played the build, in classic 4chan greentext format:

> Starting off monk of the monestary
> Find you have a strange fascination with birds
> Leave the monestary as part of monk training
> Fall in with a local druid, who sees your naivete and seeks to enlighten you about the True Nature of the world.
> Realize that not everything can be set and ordered. Become either Lawful Neutral or True Neutral.
> Appreciate the education, apply it as The Middle Way (to use Buddhist terms), and appreciate you can totally dig on your love of birds.
> Become the Bird. Become Balance. Be the Flamingo, and Balance eternally on the edge of the world. Or, yanno, something weird and mystical sounding like that.

Take what you will, modify as needed. "World Traveling as a Way to Find Oneself" is always a good excuse for isolated classes like clerics, monks, and druids to leave their little niche corners of the world.

magotter
2013-10-26, 08:57 PM

Oh yeah, also recall Bleed doesn't really stack with itself. Only the highest of all the bleed attacks applies, though subsequent Bleed attacks can reset the duration left on the bleed.

avr
2013-10-26, 11:20 PM
On the eagle-druid;

Like many birds of prey, you will follow and scavenge carrion. Metaphorically, at least. These three adventurers leave a bloody trail which has attracted you away from your former role of guarding the mountains and picking off foolish orcs.

You are one with the honourable eagle spirit. These three fine adventurers have attracted your admiration for their deeds, and you will join them in cleansing the land of evil.

You come from a family which has ruled their land with care and wisdom for generations. Falconry is a noble pursuit, after all. Something happened to force you to leave - maybe the family was slaughtered by a dragon, maybe you just slept with the wrong person - and you wandered the country for years, learning bits of the magic of the wilderness as you went along. Particularly that to do with your initial passion for hawks.

Spore
2013-10-27, 07:10 AM
Like many birds of prey, you will follow and scavenge carrion.

Haha, I can already see it.

Druid: "You are the noble Sir Killalot, I presume. The stench of your murdering throughout the land can be smelled far and wide. You are truly a vile beast."

Paladin: "Thanks....I guess?"

On the wounding (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/weapons.html#_wounding)in pathfinder:
Wounding: A wounding weapon deals 1 point of bleed damage when it hits a creature. Multiple hits from a wounding weapon increase the bleed damage. Bleeding creatures take the bleed damage at the start of their turns. Bleeding can be stopped by a DC 15 Heal check or through the application of any spell that cures hit point damage. A critical hit does not multiply the bleed damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the bleed damage dealt by this weapon.

Winds of Nagual
2013-10-27, 09:23 AM
My two coppers - I'm really digging witch lately. Could be a nice splash of role playing color to your group.

Spore
2013-10-27, 09:52 AM
Well, I have finally decided. Now get out your tables, pens and opinions so that we can buff up our - tbh pretty weak group - to a force to be reckoned with.

25 Point-buy:

Nechena, NG Garuda-blooded Aasimar Cleric of Kiva 8

Str 10, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 24, Cha 10

Domains: Glory (Heroism), Good (Azata)

Skills: Appraise 1 (+6), Bluff 4 (+8), Heal 4 (+14), Kn(History) 4 (+7), Kn(Nobles) 4 (+7), Kn(Planes) 4 (+7), Kn(Religion) 4 (+7), Perception 8 (+16), Sense Motive 8 (+18), Spellcraft 7 (+12)

Feats: (1) Point Blank Shot (3) Precise Shot (5) Deadly Aim (7) Rapid Shot (9 possibly Many Shot?)

Gear: +1 Flaming Burst Longbow, Mithril Chain Shirt, Headband of Inspired Wisdom +4 (going a bit over the rec. money for 8 but the group will level up soon so I think it's appropriate, I will possibly also get an artifact armor +2 mithril chain shirt with bonusses on Perception and free glamered enchantment)

magotter
2013-10-27, 02:13 PM
On the wounding (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/weapons.html#_wounding)in pathfinder:
Wounding: A wounding weapon deals 1 point of bleed damage when it hits a creature. Multiple hits from a wounding weapon increase the bleed damage. Bleeding creatures take the bleed damage at the start of their turns. Bleeding can be stopped by a DC 15 Heal check or through the application of any spell that cures hit point damage. A critical hit does not multiply the bleed damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the bleed damage dealt by this weapon.

aaaaand today I learned a thing.

Feats: (1) Point Blank Shot (3) Precise Shot (5) Deadly Aim (7) Rapid Shot (9 possibly Many Shot?)

Gear: +1 Flaming Burst Longbow, Mithril Chain Shirt, Headband of Inspired Wisdom +4 (going a bit over the rec. money for 8 but the group will level up soon so I think it's appropriate, I will possibly also get an artifact armor +2 mithril chain shirt with bonusses on Perception and free glamered enchantment)

Despite overtly lacking the Dex to 'fill it in' as it were, a suit of Celestial Armor is both mechnically and thematically nice. And pairs well with some tasty Dex gear. Flaming is alright on a bow, but I've never been a fan of Burst except on crit-fishing weapons. Other elemental additions are good too, since so much is resistant to fire. And don't forget to snag Clustered Shots when you can. Otherwise, it looks good for a bow-cleric.

Spore
2013-10-28, 04:17 AM
Well, you're right. Downgrading to a flaming bow saves me 10 grand for nifty other stuff. Perhaps I should switch to Human anyway, for the much needed feat, the HP (switching fav. class points to away from skills), lowering WIS (since I will buff, not SoD) and buffing Con for more HP (47 is quite pathetic).

I will think about the Celestial armor, but since I get Fly as Domain spell and the mentioned artifact armor (which will improve by level), I would rather not blow out my DM's efforts for a minor, expensive improvement.

Nechena, NG Human Cleric of Kiva 8

Str 10, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 22, Cha 10

Skills: Appraise 1 (+6), Bluff 4 (+8), Heal 4 (+14), Kn(History) 4 (+7), Kn(Nobles) 4 (+7), Kn(Planes) 4 (+7), Kn(Religion) 4 (+7), Perception 8 (+16), Sense Motive 8 (+18), Spellcraft 7 (+12)

Feats: (Hu) Point Blank Shot (1) Precise Shot (3) Rapid Shot (5) Deadly Aim (7) Many Shot

Gear: +1 Flaming Longbow, Mithril Chain Shirt, Headband of Inspired Wisdom +4, Belt of Physical Might +2 (Dex/Con)

Another thing strikes me as odd. Somehow ranged combat as Cleric seems not very viable. I have an attack bonus of +11, which is quite poor compared to other's, and the only straight up buff I know of is Divine Favor. Bumping it up to a rather unimpressive +14. I know I am a full caster and all, but I think, I will use my actions far more often for spells than ranged combat, which makes me wonder: Why take bow feats at all? And if I want ranged combat, why no Inquisitor?

magotter
2013-10-28, 08:01 AM
Another thing strikes me as odd. Somehow ranged combat as Cleric seems not very viable. I have an attack bonus of +11, which is quite poor compared to other's, and the only straight up buff I know of is Divine Favor. Bumping it up to a rather unimpressive +14. I know I am a full caster and all, but I think, I will use my actions far more often for spells than ranged combat, which makes me wonder: Why take bow feats at all? And if I want ranged combat, why no Inquisitor?

For a start, you will run out of spells. It always happens. And nothing sucks more than standing in the back, unable to do anything. Ranged Clerics are, then, a viable option because being a cleric really doesn't require anything terribly gear or feat intensive; perhaps Craft Wonderous Items at level 3 so that a good chunk of the gear you buy is at half price.

That said, even a combat cleric is more useful shaping the battlefield than firing a bow. Anything from Obscurring Mist, Deadeye's Arrow, Enthrall, and Hold Person allow you to set up a skirmish. You're the "set up" half of the combat tag team. If you wanted to deal buckets upon buckets of damage, there's other classes for that.

That said, there's still neat tricks to be had to make your bowcasting both rather tricksy and damaging. Consider, just off the top of your head, the range and variety of arrows to be had. Yeah, even just the mundane ones. You can be a miniature Green Arrow on the mundane gear alone. Add in Craft (Fletching) and perhaps Craft Weapons and you can make a grab bag of situational weapons and spells. Recall that ammo is 1/50th the price to enchant, so you can feel free to enchant maybe 1-5 arrows with your favorite situational spells in order to always have something on hand in an emergency. Just don't forget the efficient quiver.

That's the tricksy part of the equation. For damaging, well, there's your feat selection. True you won't be dealing out the damage of a power attacking barbarian, but you'll certainly have a higher DPR than the sorcerer, and without even expending spell slots. I'm sad to say I have less advice here; it comes down more to gear than anything, as that's what's going to boost damage. As a rule of thumb though, in any combat your routine should be (roughly) as follows: Shape the Field, Boost as Needed, Deal Damage. In skirmishes with large numbers of enemies, you'll likely spend more time Shaping and Boosting in order to keep your friends from being overrun with mooks. Meanwhile against singular powerful foes you'll spend more time plinking them down with bow tricks (igniting, bleeding, etc).

In either case, the power of the Bow Cleric isn't in damage, it's in variety. Read over that spell list; invest in UMD (for Gravity Bow); buy fancy arrows, or make your own to get a higher DC off their effects.

Spore
2013-10-28, 08:50 AM
Not to sound picky or unthankful, but I really really hate intensive micro managing. I want to play a simple yet effective caster. And I think managing all those spells is complicated enough as is. If I should then also check for good arrows, craft or buy them and micromanage my gear, I think the archer cleric sadly isn't for me then.

Thank you anyway for saving me from playing a rather hard to manage character. So, let us start talking about a support cleric with buffing, healing and controlling. (I would like to have some blasts, but my domain list isn't made to suit that).

avr
2013-10-28, 09:51 AM
As an 8th level cleric your favourite buff will be Blessing of Fervor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blessing-of-fervor). Works for archers or buffers. If you're into control rather than archery, you should be able to spare a feat for Toppling Spell - use it on Spiritual Weapon now, Spiritual Ally once you have a 5th level spell slot spare.

Besides the control spells magotter mentioned, situational control spells like Silence or Wind Wall are worth remembering.

Back with the archer it makes your feat problem worse, but Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand) reduces your need for dexterity and improves your attack bonus. If you're planning to use archery mainly on flying or distant targets, maybe you could drop Precise Shot and save Manyshot til next level? Or get the War domain and use the free feat of the 8th level ability to pick it up when needed.

Spore
2013-10-28, 10:10 AM
As an 8th level cleric your favourite buff will be Blessing of Fervor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blessing-of-fervor).

I know, my god, how I know. I made an Oracle with that spell (can cast it 4 times a day now), and if I just DARE to think about casting ANYTHING else before (like, you know, summoning my undead or dropping a defensive buff), I just get a collective of puppy eyes staring at my seat, silently sobbing.

Yeah, actually with my sad BAB, using Manyshot or Deadly Shot only via domain power seems viable.

For a start, you will run out of spells. It always happens.

Haven't played a non spontaneous caster in a while. I am used to limited choice and abundant castings per day. NOW I realize again why Archer is viable. (And why my oracle is a terrible shot.)

magotter
2013-10-28, 07:10 PM
NOW I realize again why Archer is viable. (And why my oracle is a terrible shot.)

It's as I said. And if I may rebuke (heh) the backlash against micromanaging, let me state that while you have versatility, its not as if you need to have 1 of everything. The mere fact that you have options are enough; and you can swap out your spells when needed. Like, grab endure elements when you know you're going into a desert. It's much less micromanaging and more a modicum of preparation. All the same, allow me to make a short list of gear and spells worth grabbing

Arrows:

Dye Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-dye) (1 gp each) - Basically it's free Glitterdust. Helpful in the mid levels when you have see invisibility but others don't.
Pheromone Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-pheromone) (15 gp each) - only take if the Barbarian has Scent. hit a foe with these and he'll get +2 Atk & Dmg against the foe for an hour. One of the best buffs you can give his superstitious butt.
Raining Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-raining) (30 gp each) - if your GM lets you replace the holy water with any other kind of alchemical substance, you can break the game with these (doubly so if he lets you factor the cost of the new substance into the arrow price). With even 1 rank in Craft (Alchemy) and a Hybridization Funnel, you can make Flaming Tanglefoot Bag Arrows. Damage, Burning, and Entanglement. so.... so good.
Slowburn Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-slow-burn) (150 each) - +1d6 Fire damage 1 round after hit. Stacks with another elemental type on your bow. Only to be used with the Abundant Ammunition Spell (see Below).
Tanglefoot Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-tanglefoot) (20 gp each) - Tanglefoot bag on the cheap and with way better range than chucking a normal one. Lower Save DC, but still amazing even at middle levels. Aim for the enemy casters.
Thistle Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-thistle) (1 gp each) - deals its damage again each round as a Bleed for 1d6 rounds. This counts the dice damage, plus bonuses for Composite, Agile, Guided, etc etc. This is one of the best ways to increase Bow Damage.
Trip Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-trip) (25 gp each) - Trip with CMB+5. Good enough to warrant builds centered around it. Still deals damage on top of it too.

Level 1 spells:

Abundant Ammunition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/abundant-ammunition) - use with the above special arrows. Any nonmagical arrows are cloned on use for the duration of the spell. Now you only need 1 of each of those arrows. Lasts for 1min/CL. Wand this and use it at the start of combat.
Burning Disarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burning-disarm) - cast this on the fighter's gauntlets. they count as weapons. Not only will he drop the blade, he'll still take the 5d4 damage.
Compel Hospitality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/compel-hostility) - You're way in the back and you've set up a nice wall of death. Now force enemies to run through it.
Comprehend Languages (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/comprehend-languages) - use in conjunction with Scrying (see Below).
Divine Favor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/divine-favor) - +1 Atk & Dmg per 3 CL. Cast it on everyone.
Moment of Greatness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/moment-of-greatness) - You're barbarian's Rage is a Morale Bonus. This spell doubles that. All of it. Even if he doesn't want it, force it on him. At later levels this can be massive.
Obscurring Mist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/o/obscuring-mist) - de facto battlefield shaping for low levels. Be creative where you place it and you can route enemies with ease.
Sanctuary (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sanctuary) - After Compelling Hostility in foes to make them run through all your defenses and traps, this stops them from actually hurting you. Actually kinda hilarious.
Shield of Faith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shield-of-faith) - +2 AC might not seem like a lot, but recall that Deflection AC applies to Flat and Touch AC as well.
Summon Minor Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-minor-monster) - 1d3 attempts at trap finding.

Level 2 Spells:

Deadeye's Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/deadeye-s-arrow) - Cast on a nonmagical arrow. Arrow does its thing, but now hits on a Ranged Touch Attack and does 1d6+CL damage. Situtational, but nice when you absolutely need to hit someone.
Early Judgement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/early-judgment) - Low level version of Holy Word.
Ghostbane Dirge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/ghostbane-dirge) - a lifesaver when ghosts appear; useless otherwise. Wand or Scroll it.
Weapon of Awe (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/weapon-of-awe) - another way to buff the spell-hating Barbarian. Simply cast it on his weapon instead of him.

Level 3 Spells:

Blindness/Deafness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blindness-deafness) - I don't think I need to explain why this can be devastating to a foe in battle.
Blot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blot) - Situtationally useful, but if you meet an enemy caster before battle, cast this on his spellbook to make him cry. Worth Scrolling.
Chain of Perdition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/chain-of-perdition) - Use CL+Wis for your CMB and perform a host of combat maneuvers at range. Blind, Entangle, Drag and Trip.
Channel the Gift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/channel-the-gift) - You become a battery for other people's spells. Good once your Pally starts getting really good spells.
Channel Vigor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/channel-vigor) - 4 spells in one! +4 Perception & Ranged Attacks or Haste or +6 Will or +6 Fort. So many uses in one nice package.
Dispel Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dispel-magic) - not as fantastic as in 3.x, but this can turn a boss battle right the hell around. I always keep at least 1 on me at all times.
Invisibility Purge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/invisibility-purge) - no save, no SR. Seems like Invisibility is more common in pathfinder. This makes it a non-issue.
Magic Circle Against X (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-circle-against-evil) - Scroll it, but one of the better battlefield shapers.
Magic Vestment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-vestment) - Hours per CL means never needing to spend cash on Enhancement bonuses. just need 1/day at high levels.
Protection from Energy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protection-from-energy) - worth scrolling. Save it for the Boss Battle.
Wind Wall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wind-wall) - fantastic battlefield shaper. Forces foes to engage in melee, and makes swarms/gasses useless.

Level 4 Spells:

Air Walk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/air-walk) - Very yes. gets you REALLY far out of melee.
Blessing of Fervor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blessing-of-fervor) - like Channel Vigor, it's 5 spells in one, and it hits multiple targets! +30 speed or 1 Extra Attack / round or +2 Atk, Dmg, and Reflex or Free minor metamagic or Stand up as a swift. Allies can choose different effects, too.
Control Water (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/control-water) - inevitably you're gonna have a Ship/Maritime adventure. When Pirates are seen off the port bow, cast this to sink them on the spot. Make your GM weep when he realizes you trashed his encounter before it even started.
Dimensional Anchor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dimensional-anchor) - nothing worse than the pesky reoccuring imp minion always getting away before you can kill him. This stops that.
Discern Lies (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/discern-lies) - When a person lies to you about the macguffin, you believe them. when you believe them, you go spelunking into old dungeons. when you go spelunking into old dungeons, you set off traps. when you set off traps, you party-wipe. when you party-wipe, you flip the table. Don't flip the table. Get Discern Lies.
Dismissal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dismissal) - while you don't want the Imp to get away, the minions he summons can f#ck right off. Not as powerful as 3.x, still damn good.
Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/freedom-of-movement) - Get-out-of-grapple-free card. worth Scrolling. Worth wanding if you're running into a lot of hug-happy foes.
Holy Smite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/holy-smite) - Damage and blinding (awesome!). Against evil only (less awesome.).
Order's Wrath (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/o/order-s-wrath) - As Holy Smite. Swap Evil to Chaos and Blind to Daze.

Level 5 Spells:

Ancestral Memory (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/ancestral-memory) - Force your GM to give you a hint if/when your party gets stuck in the plot.
Breath of Life (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/breath-of-life) - worth keeping on 1 per day. a literal life saver, this will revive anyone who died within the last 6 seconds. worse than 3.x, where it was 1 hour. You have to be ready to rush in and cast it, but it removes a lot of fear of party kills.
Command, Greater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/command) - one of the better save-or-suck spells, you by the time you get this you can make a whole squad of mooks just fall down.
Commune (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/commune) - Scrying is great, but eventually the baddy will catch wise and start hiding in an iron bunker. This is your backup. Demand answers from god!
Major Curse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/curse-major) - target has only a 50% chance to act. Almost as good as Confusion. and the DC is 20+Wis (opposed to 13+Wis for the normal version)
Fickle Winds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fickle-winds) - its Wind Wall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wind-wall), except it doesn't affect you!
Geniekind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/geniekind) - another 4-in-one buff. Gain a Movement type (Swim/Fly/Burrow) and a Resist 10. alas, Self-only.
Holy Ice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/holy-ice) - Finally we get some hardcore battlefield shapers. Superior to Wall of Stone because you can make a wall or javelins.
Scrying (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/scrying) - Derail the campaign in one hour or less. No need to chance the Boss's Minions around when you know where he's at and what he's doing. It's almost unfair to the GM to use this.
Serenity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/serenity) - Sanctuary, but moreso. No HD cap and hits multiple foes, who must stop attacking or take 3d6 damage per round. not fantastic, but great for taking out whole waves of mooks.
Siphon Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/siphon-magic) - it's vampiric dispel! What they lose, you gain. even better: No Save, no SR, just a touch attack! Actually worth rushing to the frontlines to use. Just make sure you've got a way to slingshot to the backline again.
Spell Resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spell-resistance) - 12+Level SR. One of the best ways to mitigate spells.
True Seeing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/true-seeing) - THE magic bullet for a whole host of enemy defenses. Mirror Image, Blur, Displacement, Invisibility, et al. are nothing before your all-seeing eye.
Wall of Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-stone) - another good battlefield shaper. You can now funnel foes into a killing trough, like cows to the slaughterhouse.

Edit: updated with links and 5th level spells. Enjoy!

Spore
2013-10-29, 09:24 AM
Thank you. So very very much.

While the book: Elves of Golarion may not be allowed because simply no one here has a version of it, I might as well take the ideas for the arrows and not buy, but craft them myself. Also while I know most of the standard stuff, the arrow specific spells are a nice reminder for me.

magotter
2013-10-29, 12:49 PM
Thank you. So very very much.

While the book: Elves of Golarion may not be allowed because simply no one here has a version of it, I might as well take the ideas for the arrows and not buy, but craft them myself. Also while I know most of the standard stuff, the arrow specific spells are a nice reminder for me.

No problem at all. Post above's been updated. It should keep you well stocked until at least level 11.

Spore
2013-10-29, 02:12 PM
Thanks a lot. Sadly, half of the spells aren't in the APG, UM or UC, so not available for me. But Major Curse is a great idea. Didn't realize how good the DC is.

khachaturian
2013-10-29, 04:21 PM
it seems like you are investing a lot of resources into archery when you already have plenty of damage dealers in the party, but if that's your playstyle, totally cool. however, i would disagree about a lot of the lower level spells

level 1
- burning disarm. i think most dms would not have an enemy drop his weapon if it were cast on gauntlets. damage is kind of trivial
- compel hostility is nice if you can set up a lot of attacks of opportunity
- divine favor is self-only. also short duration limits prebuffing. possibly worthwhile if quickened, but not sure if it's worth a standard action
- moment of greatness only works for one action. trading a standard action and a spell slot may not be worth it
- obscuring mist. fact that effect is centered on you makes it less useful
- sanctuary. similar problem with short duration. at higher levels, enemies will probably be making will save

level 2
- early judgement. against evil opponent, single target save or trivial effect. pass

Dapple Birch
2013-10-29, 04:59 PM
Have you looked into the other divine/martial classes yet? From what you've said I get the impression(apologies if I'm wrong here) that you want to be more about blasting people with arrows with a side of casting buffs, controls and the like.
To me all that sounds alot more like an inquisitor or paladin than a cleric, mechanically. Smaller selection of spells known and/or spells per day(nothing keeping you from buying scrolls though) and more class abilities specializing you in attacking with a weapon(judgments, bane, smite evil).

On an unrelated note: some spells don't allow a saving throw, even amongst buffs. http://paizo.com/prd/spells/bless.html being the first example to spring to mind. Show that primitive mud eater that his fear of magic is completely unfounded as you infect him with divine courage without a saving throw. :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2013-10-29, 05:29 PM
Have you looked into the other divine/martial classes yet? From what you've said I get the impression(apologies if I'm wrong here) that you want to be more about blasting people with arrows with a side of casting buffs, controls and the like.

No, I actually want to play a laid back cleric with the option to harm flying creatures (or force them to the ground). The cleric is perfectly fitting the spell casting part, but our fights are long over before I can buff myself up as cleric and do comparable damage.

Fights with 3-5 rounds are often the case with our group. The longest fight was several levels ago with goblins (because you can only kill so much meat with 1 attack per round). So I would get 1-2 salvos off in a really long fight. That makes me think that archery isn't that viable for me.

Also I want to add a bit of survivability to our group. My DM is quite restricted in which monsters he can bring up, because anything resilient will eat the barbarian, anything not evil will resist the paladin for a long time. And anything not mind controllable will force the sorcerer to be a spectator. If I can patch the barb together after the fights, give the Paladin more bang vs. neutral enemies (elementals come to mind) and protect the sorcerer from killing himself, I consider my part well done. If I can kill some flying spellcasters and purge their invis, this is exceptionally better. But if I spend 3 rounds only buffing myself to then "kill steal" a hurt enemy while everyone around me is dying, this is not good action economy.

khachaturian
2013-10-29, 06:27 PM
if that is the case, then why such an investment into archery feats? you can be effective against a flying target by... summoning an air elemental

Spore
2013-10-29, 07:25 PM
Nechena, NG Human Cleric of Kiva 8

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 24, Cha 14

Feats: (Hu) Channel Smite (1) Guided Hand (3) Scribe Scoll (5) Spell Focus (Conjuration) (7) Augment Summoning

Gear: +1 Flaming Longbow, Mithril Chain Shirt, Headband of Inspired Wisdom +4, Belt of Con +2, Lesser Bracers of Archery

Picking up on the summoning strat, adding in a good bunch of attack bonus for the bow.

Standard strat:
1. Round Laying down Prayer/Bless/Blessing of Fervor
2. Summoning or self buffing.
3. Shot until it dies if we are in good shape, otherwise start saving people and/or controlling the battlefield or debuffing the BBEG.

Guided Hand gives me +1 Flaming Bow leaves me with +15/+10 or +11/+6 when shooting into the melee (if the melee continues, I'd just drop a divine favor and have then an okayish BAB). If I could get a guided bow (which I highly doubt), I'd even do acceptable damage.

khachaturian
2013-10-29, 08:46 PM
not sure how much mileage you will get out of your domains. with your homebrew goddess, tactics (war) and liberation are pretty baller. also if you're willing to give up a domain, taking the evangelist archetype makes you a better buffer.

Spore
2013-10-29, 09:03 PM
It's going to be an undead focussed campaign. Demons for the paladin, the treasure of the god of undead for my old rogue, stopping an undead plague for the barbarian and dealing with fey for the sorc. So I think I am at least pretty okay with the Good domain. I wish she had the Feather domain, perhaps I can talk him into that domain (Falcon goddess without Feathers domain? Really?) My domains are quite focussed on evil aligned (undead) enemies.

Alternatives would be Animal (Feathers) plus War (Tactics). More combat versatility, better Perception, Fly on the spell list and an awesome hawk for a companion. As for the evangelist. My DM plays one himself in another campaign and I kind of resent the idea of talking all the time (especially because it does not fit the secretive fluff of the goddess).

Spore
2013-11-01, 09:04 AM
I took above build with the following changes:

(Hu) Channel Smite (1) Guided Hand (3) Scribe Scoll (5) Point Blank Shot (7) Precise Shot

I exchanged the summoning feats, because Sacred Summons isn't worth it on CG. And I assume, I get more milage out of Precise Shot, when we have 2 sturdy melee characters anyway.

We are close to leveling up to 9, any assumptions for further feats? I am unsure, if my attack bonus could carry the deadly aim feat or if I could take up a creation feat, because our world is quite equipment starved (the paladin still uses a non magical armor, we generally have poor wondrous item distribution, but I am unsure if my spell list can support that many wondrous items).