PDA

View Full Version : Help with a few characters

Zweisteine
2013-10-25, 03:55 PM
Hello, playground!

I will soon be starting a solo(ish) campaign for a new DM (if you are that guy, please stop reading this). I, as the only player, will be playing all four members of the party. The problem is that I only know some parts of what I want to make, and no details beyond that. Stacked on top of my general indecisiveness, I'm a bit stuck now, so I turn to you for help.

The adventure will probably mostly be combat, with less social stuff, but I should be ready for anything. (It's probably gonna be a classic dungeon crawl, but maybe not in a dungeon.)

I am restricted to things that aren't absurdly cheesy, and I can't use excessive template shenanigans (I tried that, but my DM didn't appreciate the beautiful backsyory I wrote for it). Also, if I my DM learns that I can't find traps, he might throw them at me just because I can't find them.

LA buyoff is allowed.
Flaws and traits are allowed.
Other rules have not been explicitly disallowed.

Factotums have 10 base skill points
Classes with all knowledge skills can take them all for the price of only three
Weapon finesse lets you choose to add half of your dexterity modifier to damage instead of strength

Here's what I had tentatively decided on so far:
And aiming for Cabinet Trickster and Chameleon prestige classes.
I don't really want to play a factotum much, but I'll probably need a skillmonkey, and factotums are best for that.
I chose Changeling because I've wanted to try this build for a while now, but I probably won't need to do any serious infiltration, so it is likely not to be too useful, and I have no experience playing non-social skill-based characters.

I really need to get a better character concept.
I'm diving deep into the realm of persistent spell cheese here, probably taking the Planning and Undeath domains to further that purpose (I'll worship a god of mummification or something).

This could be a skillmonkey, but doesn't seem too effective in that respect...
"]No extra cheese, though.
This is to offset a set of rolls consisting mostly of 13s.
I have little real character concept here. Maybe this should be my skillmonkey.
My favorite of these characters.
I haven't been able to choose a discipline, though.
Metacreativity would let me Astral Constructs from the cover of invisibility (because I'm primordial). The problem with that is my indecisiveness will lead to trouble making the constructs...
Psychokinesis could be the most fun, but evocation is never the best use for a caster...
And psychometabolism has some of the best powers (metamorphosis), but the rest of what it would get me doesn't seem too good.

(I have read psion guides as well, but those aren't helpful for choosing things like that, only narrowing down the choices.)

I also find that this party suffers a serious lack of effective melee characters, which I will need to compensate for somehow. Maybe I could make the Kobold a skillmonkey and replace the Changeling with a warblade or soemthing.

I also need help with general build advice, like ability score arrays and feats.

This is what I rolled:

18, 18, 17, 13, 10, 10
18, 16, 15, 11, 8, 7
17, 15, 15, 12, 12, 12
15, 13, 13, 13, 12, 10

That last one is the one I would compensate for with a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold.

Zweisteine
2013-10-25, 05:26 PM
Nothing at all?

Not even a single post derisively mocking my inability to choose what to be? Not even a single troll raging at my lack of common sense in picking races and classes?

Zweisteine
2013-10-25, 06:04 PM
So, uhhh...
How long do questions normally take to get answered? Every other question I've thrown at the playground has been answered in about ten minutes... Have I just been lucky, or is this a badly asked question?

gurgleflep
2013-10-25, 09:18 PM
Instead of playing several separate characters, why not try and convince the DM/GM to allow you to play as either a gestalt or tristalt character?
Personally, I find playing as a one-man-party (or in your case one player as multiple characters) complicates things. If you're in to roleplay, you have multiple different people/personalities that you will have to use and show, you wind up talking to yourself when you've got the party members talking among themselves about what they should do and only being you, there's limited view points as to what you are able to think up.
If you're going solo, it's you and maybe a cohort, follower, minion, animal companion, etc. and you've got nearly nobody to talk to aside from the monsters and various other NPCs.

I'll be honest, I didn't read through the spoilers so I'm sorry if my suggestion/idea isn't possible. I'm a bit out of it right now, I have a friend coming over and I'm preparing things/making plans.

Zweisteine
2013-10-26, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I thought about that, but my DM rejected it... Maybe I'll give it another go...

Thanks!