PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D] Age Dragon

Cardea
2013-10-25, 07:36 PM
To anyone who has played AD&D, I need help finding a spell mentioned in the Demihuman Deities book. Near the end of the section for Abbathor, under Specialty Priests: Noroghor. It states that Noroghor of 15th level can cast Age Dragon (as the 7th-level Priest Spell) 1/day.

What book or online link can I find Age Dragon?

WinWin
2013-10-26, 02:37 AM
Tome of Magic

BWR
2013-10-26, 04:21 AM
Priest's Spell Compendium volume 1

Chambers
2013-10-26, 09:11 AM
Did you find it? What's it do?

BWR
2013-10-26, 11:38 AM
Pretty much what the name says.

Chambers
2013-10-26, 11:58 AM
Right, I didn't think of that myself.

Does it age it by Years or by Age Category? Is the effect permanent or temporary? Does the spell have a long casting time or expensive material components?

I'm not interested in actually using the spell but I'd like to know more about it for fluff/background purposes of a character who belongs to a group that does use the spell.

BWR
2013-10-26, 12:24 PM
Here's my 3.PF conversion of the spell (I'm slowly working my way through the 7 volumes of the Wizard's and Priest's sepll compendia and converting that which has not been converted).

Age Dragon (Transmutation)
Clr 7
Range: Long
Components: V, S, DF
Casting time: 1 full-round action
Duration: 1 round/level
AoE: 1 dragon
ST: Fortitude negates
SR: yes

You alter the age category of one dragon in either direction. You increase or decrease the target 1 age category/5 levels (round down). You cannot reduce the target to yournger than Wyrmling or older than Great Wyrm. If it becomes older, the target immediately gains all abilities and bonuses of its new age category, if applicable, including spellcasting abillities, being immediately granted new spell slots and spells known.

Chambers
2013-10-26, 12:27 PM
Thanks. Is that pretty similar to what the original spell did? Was there any unique or expensive material component required?

BWR
2013-10-26, 01:07 PM
That's exactly what the original spell did. The only real changes are the notations about school, ST, SR, etc. which were changed from the 2e to 3.x. There weren't the standard range categories back in the day, and the range on Age Dragon was 30 yards. I upped it a bit, but you could easily cut it down to Medium or even Close (which probably would be more in line with what the original intent was, come to think of it).
Originally, nearly all divine spells had material components like arcane spells, but that was mostly replaced by divine foci in 3.x. Here, it was a handful of dirt from a dragon's footprint.