PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Prestige class casting beyond its max levels?

Yogibear41
2013-10-25, 08:05 PM
Is is possible to advance a prestige class like mystic theurge or eldritch theurge/disciple past 10 levels? For example say you have a warlock3/wizard3/eldritch theurge 10 could you pick up another prestige class for 4 levels that advances casting and apply it to eldritch theurge to continue advancing both your warlock and wizard casting?

ArcturusV
2013-10-25, 08:08 PM
Not in the way that you're suggesting, due to how those abilities are often worded. As the Theurges don't actually grant spellcasting. And most PrCs list "Advance spellcasting of a class you already have", or something like that.

That said there is a PrC called Legacy Champion I THINK might work out like that, as it says something like "+1 level for the sake of class features" or the like. And I believe some PrCs like Mystic Theurge got Epic Progressions so they do have a level 11, 12, 13, etc that you could effectively gain.

... I'll have to look into it more. But it sounds like that's as close as you'd get.

Morithias
2013-10-25, 08:09 PM
Is is possible to advance a prestige class like mystic theurge or eldritch theurge/disciple past 10 levels? For example say you have a warlock3/wizard3/eldritch theurge 10 could you pick up another prestige class for 4 levels that advances casting and apply it to eldritch theurge to continue advancing both your warlock and wizard casting?

You can do that with ANY class.

Look up the "Legacy Champion" and the "uncanny trickster".

In my books, yes. You could be doing more game breaking things with a spellcaster in my opinion. Better theurge than something like Hathran.

Urpriest
2013-10-25, 08:10 PM

"Advances casting" isn't a mechanic. Rather, you've got specific rules for specific classes, and almost always you need to apply them to an actual spellcasting class. Eldritch Theurge is not a spellcasting class, since it doesn't give you any spells, it just advances other classes' spellcasting.

Note that this has nothing to do with the title of your post. If you could advance eldritch theurge "casting" as you describe, you could do it without going past 10 total levels, so there is no reason for you to ask your question the way you did, in particular because the question of whether a PrC that actually can advance another PrC's class features can advance past the other PrC's max level is a separate, controversial question.

Captnq
2013-10-25, 08:47 PM
Well, here is the list of every spellcaster HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050).

Or if you can read excel spreadsheets, you can just download it HERE (http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1382631190).

I like the spreadsheet more because you can filter out the crap you want better.

Now, as for advancing the way you want, I dunno. I didn't do any research into warlocks, only spellcasters. So I hope it helps.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-25, 09:00 PM
Mystic Theurge after level 10 only advances arcane casting on odd-numbered class levels, and only advances divine casting on even-numbered class levels. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClassProgressions.htm#epicMysticTheurge) Not worth it.