PDA

View Full Version : How much would these cost? Also, where are the rules for custom magic items again?

INoKnowNames
2013-10-25, 11:02 PM
Planning out a character, and trying to look for ways to increase Charisma with items beyond the basic +6 Enchantment to Cha Cloak. In looking for spells for this purpose, I did manage to find two that could work: Nixie's Grace, and Inner Beauty.

I assume both, particularly the former, would be super expensive, but if one wanted continual magic items for them (for the sake of increased cha for spell slots), how much would they cost?

Also, where are the rules for this kind of thing again, so I can just look it up next time? I can't find it in the MIC...

Demidos
2013-10-25, 11:03 PM
That would be an epic level item, found in the ELH. That said, good luck ever affording it.

INoKnowNames
2013-10-25, 11:05 PM
That would be an epic level item, found in the ELH. That said, good luck ever affording it.

Holy ****, it'd be Epic? How do you figure that, because of how high the enhancement bonus of the spell is? I thought it'd be a good 200,000ish, but still affordable given it's a Bard-6 spell...

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-25, 11:13 PM
The rules in question are in the DMG, pages 282-288. Or on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

Looking at them, you want a non-enhancement bonus to an ability. There aren't precisely rules for that, but if we extrapolate from saves, we might estimate a cost of bonus squared x 2000 gold. So... 8,000 for a +2, 32,000 for a +4, and 72,000 for a +6.

EDIT: oh, why is it epic? Epic magic items include those with a market price over 200,000 gold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm).

lsfreak
2013-10-25, 11:19 PM
Most of the flat +bonus stuff, like weapon enhancements, ability boosts, resistance bonuses to saves, deflection to AC, and so on are capped to their listed levels in the DMG/SRD until you get into epic rules. Epic allows you to go beyond those caps, and follow the same formula, but items are 10 times as expensive. So the bonus^2*1000 becomes bonus^2*10000, and the +8 item is 640,000 and +10 is 1,000,000.

Ask your DM. But personally, barring truly exceptional circumstances, I'd enforce the game's built-in limit. Going beyond that is likely to do wonky things to what balance there is.

Artillery
2013-10-25, 11:24 PM
You get up to a +5 inherent bonus from a Tome of Leadership and Influence. That would cost 137500gp.
+8 Cloak of Charisma would be 128000gp.

PinkysBrain
2013-10-25, 11:33 PM
There are no rules, there are guidelines and some articles from WotC ... which are in my opinion misguided.

Trying to break the spell down to components for which other pricing formulas exist and then arbitrarily picking between which formula to use is just a lame hack. Better to just throw your hands in the air and say forget about the guidelines, and let the DM decide it on gut feeling alone. His gut is a better guideline than such an arbitrary bit of rules lawyering.

Most of the people here just completely ignore that an Inner Beauty based item wouldn't actually grant >6 enhancement bonus BTW. It would grant a +4 sacred bonus which you would then combine with a (potentially separate) +6 enhancement bonus item ... which completely bypasses the epic level pricing even if it were to apply otherwise.

If a spell results in too strong an item with a formula for continuous spell items it shows there is something fundamentally wrong, either with the spell, the continuous spell pricing formula or with magic items in general ... I prefer to fix the latter (increase cost for personal range spells, limit continuous spell effects to rings and a single one per ring, limit spells which stack for mental stats such as inner beauty).

Jack_Simth
2013-10-25, 11:42 PM
The rules in question are in the DMG, pages 282-288. Or on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

Careful; they're not precisely rules. When you're looking at the price, you always need to keep in mind that the able is called "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values" (emphasis added), and it later even clarifies:

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.
In the actual books, the section is part of the DMG, and appears to be intended primarily as a DM world-building tool. When players are given easy access, you start getting wonky things - items discounted down to 30% of normal market price by way of requiring a specific skill (10% discount), class (30% discount), and alignment (30% discount) to use... all tuned to the intended recipient, so that the requirements are effectively meaningless (other than the little issue that it means the person can have about three times as much useful equipment... six, if they Craft it themselves). You also get things like the widget of use-activated True Strike for 2,000 gp (4,000 gp unslotted) that gives +20 Insight to every attack... and (in the hands of a two-handed weapon wielder with Power Attack and at least seven points of BAB) is about as strong as a +13 weapon (power attack for 7, you get +13 to attack and +14 to damage compared to not having the widget... and that's ignoring the little issues that you can sacrifice damage for accuracy by not Power Attacking as much, that it stacks with an enhancement bonus on the weapon, and that the True Strike widget also bypasses miss chances).

PinkysBrain
2013-10-25, 11:46 PM
Use activation is pretty much broken as written, the use cases for the formula where it makes sense are dwarfed for where it's insane. A continuous item of True Strike ... now that I would easily allow (of course a single true strike spell of indefinite duration isn't all that useful).