PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a feat that can.....

Cowboy_ninja
2007-01-04, 09:54 PM
draconic claw says that (among other things) you get one claw attack after casting a spell as a standard action.

is there a feat that is similar except for the claw part. something like i get an attack with a melee weapon im holding after casting a spell?

Aximili
2007-01-04, 10:08 PM
Not that I know of, and it seems quite overpowered compared to Draconic Claw.

Person_Man
2007-01-04, 10:15 PM
No.

The Celerity spells from the PHB II give you an extra action, but make you Dazed the next round.

There are various Swift Action spells that you can do in addition to a normal spell.

You can always Quicken a spell.

If you have spell-like abilities, you can take a seperate feat to Quicken them.

And if you have a breath weapon, you can take a feat to Quicken that.

Plus there's always the Time Stop spell.

It gets quite ridiculous at high levels.

But there is no feat I know of that does what you ask. As an aside, a full casters should avoid melee attacks like the plague, regardless of thier type.

Seatbelt
2007-01-04, 11:54 PM
The above poster is very correct when he says casters should avoid melee like the plague. We were fighting a bunch of undead and I was out of spells that could hurt/interact with undead. I was tired of hanging back and being useless/not contributing but sucking up XP. I went into Melee. I got splatted. The party told me it was ok and I should go back to "chilling" until we fought things not immune to mind-effects. :P

Matthew
2007-01-05, 10:16 AM
Bah! I have played a number of Wizards who, after running out of Spells, have mixed it up in Melee over the years. Not optimal, perhaps, but it was fun.

Falrin
2007-01-05, 11:37 AM
This is probably more for the gish out there.

Pretty overpowered to cast true strike and get an attack on the same round. Power attack all the way.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-05, 12:15 PM
Or for the Duskblade. That's terror on a plate: arcane channeling + extra swing = wootz.

Person_Man
2007-01-05, 02:06 PM
This is probably more for the gish out there.

Pretty overpowered to cast true strike and get an attack on the same round. Power attack all the way.

Well, yes. But that's actually the least efficient method of getting full Power Attack to hit most of the time. There are plenty of better methods: Pyrokineticist, Brilliant Weapons, Deep Impact, Freezing the Lifeblood, Wraithstrike, and a wide array of other spells. True Stike is often held up as wonderful because everyone knows about it. But its really not that useful after low levels.

tarbrush
2007-01-05, 05:32 PM
Well, yes. But that's actually the least efficient method of getting full Power Attack to hit most of the time. There are plenty of better methods: Pyrokineticist, Brilliant Weapons, Deep Impact, Freezing the Lifeblood, Wraithstrike, and a wide array of other spells. True Stike is often held up as wonderful because everyone knows about it. But its really not that useful after low levels.

*Splutter* It's plus 20/40 damage for a first level spell*!!! OK, it's not so hot if you actually have to cast it as a standard action, but it stacks up right good with things like arcane spellsurge, arcane fusion and other fun ways of getting it off withoput wasting an action.

*yes, I know that's not exactly what it does. But everyone with truestrike really should have power attack

Pegasos989
2007-01-05, 05:49 PM
*Splutter* It's plus 20/40 damage for a first level spell*!!! OK, it's not so hot if you actually have to cast it as a standard action, but it stacks up right good with things like arcane spellsurge, arcane fusion and other fun ways of getting it off withoput wasting an action.

*yes, I know that's not exactly what it does. But everyone with truestrike really should have power attack

If you cast it as a swift action, Power attack at full bab and take a full attack, only the first attack will hit due to -20. By losing like 5 potential attacks, you lose a lot more than 40 damage at 20th level.

If you cast it as swift before charge, you could get the same effect with a few feats, so it is really not all that special.