PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Horror optimization

Story
2013-10-26, 01:21 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not actually planning to do this in a real game, I'm just asking out of curiosity and to see if I understand the monster advancement rules

So the infamous Adamantine Clockwork Horror has offense down pat, but it seems like a bit of a glass canon to me. So the first step is to boost its HP a bit.

Sadly, all of the feats are marked (B), which I assume means they are racial bonus feats which can't be swapped out. But adding two non associated class levels brings its HD to 18. Assuming feats are obtained at multiple of 3 HDs, this gives it a new feat to work with, the obvious choice being Faerie Mysteries Initiate (comes with a free bonus on Craft Disturbing Mental Image too). With the new elite array, it will have a 21 Int, meaning +90 hp, bringing hp up to a more reasonable level.

As for which class levels to take, one choice is Wizard. Adamantine Horrors can talk in the clockwork horror language, but they probably can't do somatic components. Of course it doesn't really matter since they don't care about casting 1st level spells when they have Implosion at will. No this horror is going to take Abrupt Jaunt for the immediate action teleports.

For the other level I'm not really sure to do. Monk looks like a good default since it will get a boost to all saves, move speed, and AC. Since neither of these levels is helping it disintegrate anyone, I think it's fair to count them as non associated. So to reflect the increased challenge, the horror is now CR 10.

Did I do everything right? Do you have better suggestions?

CyberThread
2013-10-26, 01:37 AM
Don't bother with levels, it is a monster, you can get away with more **** and not have to add any HD to it.

The nightmare stick and the other items are interesting on it, as is the spelljammer history it comes form. Instead give it these sort of things...

One: Hive Mind Knowledge, these things are a reverse mordirans, and the addy horror, is sort of like primus. Have him have a bonus on knowledge checks from everything he hears from the lessers.

Two. Don;t just focus on him, but also give him the ability to summon his creations, much like demons can.

Three.Give it a flat divine casting ability of some sort, with this many mechanical creations, they may very well "worship " the addy clockwork, but not enough to give him any real god like powers, but maybe enough that he can start doing maybe 4th or 5th cleric spell levels.

Forth : Get weird, we are talking spelljammer here, have the clockwork have a coo-coo mechanism, when the bird comes out, it can do wail of the banshee, once an hour. ((only do this fourth one, if doing a high level party, not level 12's r something))

Urpriest
2013-10-26, 11:27 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not actually planning to do this in a real game, I'm just asking out of curiosity and to see if I understand the monster advancement rules

So the infamous Adamantine Clockwork Horror has offense down pat, but it seems like a bit of a glass canon to me. So the first step is to boost its HP a bit.

Sadly, all of the feats are marked (B), which I assume means they are racial bonus feats which can't be swapped out. But adding two non associated class levels brings its HD to 18. Assuming feats are obtained at multiple of 3 HDs, this gives it a new feat to work with, the obvious choice being Faerie Mysteries Initiate (comes with a free bonus on Craft Disturbing Mental Image too). With the new elite array, it will have a 21 Int, meaning +90 hp, bringing hp up to a more reasonable level.

As for which class levels to take, one choice is Wizard. Adamantine Horrors can talk in the clockwork horror language, but they probably can't do somatic components. Of course it doesn't really matter since they don't care about casting 1st level spells when they have Implosion at will. No this horror is going to take Abrupt Jaunt for the immediate action teleports.

For the other level I'm not really sure to do. Monk looks like a good default since it will get a boost to all saves, move speed, and AC. Since neither of these levels is helping it disintegrate anyone, I think it's fair to count them as non associated. So to reflect the increased challenge, the horror is now CR 10.

Did I do everything right? Do you have better suggestions?

Don't have time to check the details, but at the very least remember to check the 3.5 update. Most of those bonus feats are now HD feats.

Spuddles
2013-10-26, 01:11 PM
3.0 monsters got bonus feats related to what sort of type of HD they had. Construct HD gave no feats. I believe fey got feats based on int score.

Updating to 3.5 should give it 7 feats to play with.

Donox
2013-10-27, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure where you are getting the regional/racial requirement of Faerie Mysteries Initiate (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Faerie_Mysteries_Initiate). I guess you could say that your Adamantine Horror is from Celene or Lendore or something like that...but that seems like a ton of BS to me.

If you are looking to optimize I'd suggest that glories of nonassociated hitdice - probably in psion.

CyberThread
2013-10-27, 09:34 PM
doesn't help that story never actually has reponded to this post yet lol.

Story
2013-10-27, 10:35 PM
Well what is there to say? I didn't realize that 3.0 used a different system for bonus feats, so I'll have to check the update.

Also why Psion? Wizard 1 gives Abrupt Jaunt, which seems better.