PDA

View Full Version : Halloween quest, help create the enemy

relytdan
2013-10-26, 07:09 AM
so as I dm for a group I am planning a Halloween quest, the plan is to have skeletons - no real help needed here as they will all be CR 1-3 each
a Necromancer who controls the skeletons - some help can be had here but not really needed, (it should run around 120-180 hp)

but the spot that help really usefull is with some Pumpkins - orange vegitables that will be walking / attacking.
( so I am thinking golem or zombie like )

for reference the PC's are averaging 20-30 pts damage per swing/shot. - thanks

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-26, 07:34 AM
so as I dm for a group I am planning a Halloween quest, the plan is to have skeletons - no real help needed here as they will all be CR 1-3 each
a Necromancer who controls the skeletons - some help can be had here but not really needed, (it should run around 120-180 hp)

but the spot that help really usefull is with some Pumpkins - orange vegitables that will be walking / attacking.
( so I am thinking golem or zombie like )

for reference the PC's are averaging 20-30 pts damage per swing/shot. - thanks

I'd use shambling mounds as the pumpkin creatures. Refluff a bit and add in some kind of ranged pumpkin-bomb attack where the creature (a mass of vines and orange gourdes) tosses pumpkins that the party (cause pumpkin tossing is cool). To further mess with the players, have the pumpkin-creatures also have a will o' wisp around, making it look like the pumpkins are glowing with mysterious lights. Beware, will o' wisps can be very hard to fight depending on the exact nature of the party, but since it's mostly there by coincidence, it probably won't cooperated well.

relytdan
2013-10-26, 07:52 AM
first I like the pumpkin tossing idea
shambling mound - could work
will o' wisp - will have to look at them for the glowing idea
perhaps a firefly swarm as an alternative for the glowing idea

keep the ideas coming

Captnq
2013-10-26, 08:14 AM
Go with the dark and twisted version of the Peanuts.

Have The Necromancer be Linus. (He was waiting for the great pumpkin so long he went insane.)

He has a pet Sheet Ghool as his minion (His security blanket)

There is a rather old and bitter woman who pines for him on the edge of the forest. She has curly blonde hair that's going grey. (Lucy) She is haunted by her brother who died trying to talk the necromancer out of his path of madness. (Charles)

There is a strange and mysterious white wolf that hangs out nearby. (Charles former animal companion- snoopy)

And Lucy? She's the old woman who's hiring the PCs to clear out the place so she can sell it. If she can arrange to have her brother (Linus) killed she inherits everything.

PraxisVetli
2013-10-26, 08:56 AM
I'd use shambling mounds as the pumpkin creatures. Refluff a bit and add in some kind of ranged pumpkin-bomb attack where the creature (a mass of vines and orange gourdes) tosses pumpkins that the party (cause pumpkin tossing is cool). To further mess with the players, have the pumpkin-creatures also have a will o' wisp around, making it look like the pumpkins are glowing with mysterious lights. Beware, will o' wisps can be very hard to fight depending on the exact nature of the party, but since it's mostly there by coincidence, it probably won't cooperated well.

Yeah, depending on lvl and optimization, willo wisps can be brutal. If noones prepared to deal with incorporeals... it ends bad. Just mob the melee with em.

Doc_Pippin
2013-10-26, 11:17 AM

Have The Necromancer be Linus. (He was waiting for the great pumpkin so long he went insane.)

There is a rather old and bitter woman who pines for him on the edge of the forest. She has curly blonde hair that's going grey. (Lucy) She is haunted by her brother who died trying to talk the necromancer out of his path of madness. (Charles)

There is a strange and mysterious white wolf that hangs out nearby. (Charles former animal companion- snoopy)

And Lucy? She's the old woman who's hiring the PCs to clear out the place so she can sell it. If she can arrange to have her brother (Linus) killed she inherits everything.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Childhood ruined!

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) (The Table did nothing wrong)

But seriously that is pretty awesome

Slipperychicken
2013-10-26, 12:26 PM
The harvest festival is coming up soon, but an evil wizard/necromancer/witch/vampire/etc has stolen all the town's candy! Enter the haunted house where he/she/it has holed up, defeat the evil minions within*, and recover the candy before it's too late!

*Also beware of the evil pumpkin patch right outside the house. It is said that the pumpkins have been corrupted, and now serve the necromancer!

AzureKnight
2013-10-26, 01:04 PM

best idea in the history of ever. lol I liked it so much i may use it myself. great idea. for the great pumpkin take a page from ab old dragon magazine for 2e and make him a chia golem.

relytdan
2013-10-26, 01:33 PM

I love it - combine that with the evil pumpkin patch golem/zombie pumpkins controlled by the necromancer and its great -

Awesome guys thanks lots.

Scumbaggery
2013-10-26, 01:37 PM
My DM threw an entity known as 'the Headless One' at us. Think it was a Death Knight Paladin of Tyranny/Cleric/Bone Knight.

Was really fun

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 02:10 PM

Ah Robot Chicken, what can't you do? lol

I recall running a Halloween Campaign awhile back, the main boss was a were-fox Cleric, and he had a bunch of Rat men minions (yes he was Slagar from Redwall) and they were sacrificing people the captured to She Who Walks the Marsh, by putting them in a giant wicker statue and having her take them. She Who Walks the Marsh was a banshee (no not an actual one, i made it up myself).

As you can see i stuffed this quest full of classic horror movie references, my group had a ball.

But more on topic might i recommend a Sheet Phantom from Kingdoms of Kalamar Dangerous denizens for Linus' Blanket, as it is an actual blanket. Also there are all sorts of creepy things in that book, including Eaten Ones, undead who are the restless souls of those who are killed by oozes, possibly the pumpkins victims?