PDA

View Full Version : shared victory, building support to eject problem players.

Frenth Alunril
2013-10-26, 12:15 PM
I don't always post on here, but I would like to share a story about a small victory that my party and I have come upon.

roleplay has been very difficult for my players, and I've taken some steps to work it out and make it more interesting and accessible for them. the problem is the players don't all understand how to role play with their characters, and one of my players in particular really has a problem with over running everyone else and talking to the gm about information in a very confusing kind of way.

after a little discussion, we had a good game today where we did not have the troublesome Player. I got the chance to throw some low-level non threatening monsters at them and they were happy to smash them all to bits. after that they had a nice little conversation with a nightshade that was giving them information about the dungeon, and they enjoyed that conversation immensely.

soon enough they had worked their way through a door that was difficult to open and found the first large enigmatic room of the dungeon. they had fun exploring the room, and really enjoyed talking to each other about what things might mean, the number of suits of freestanding armor, the number of arrow slits on the walls, whether or not the mummy was going to spring to life.

actual in character role playing with conversation about the environment and possible futures! it was so exciting, so fun, so exhilarating! All of my players were happy, & I feel so rejuvenated.

this may be anecdotal evidence, however I feel it's very important that I keep this in mind when dealing with the problem player in the future, as I would certainly love to kick them from the group, then we had such a fantastic experience without them.

I guess what I would really like to say is, if you're having stress, identify it and remove it.

***update***

A year ago I tried a more direct confrontation with the group, seeking support to eject my problem player. Because the group is civil adults, they were apathetic to my case, and considered it brash. Part of their argument consisted off the idea that adults should be accommodating.

Now, after the problem player took a week off, it was easy to demonstrate in the absence of the problem player how much better the game is without them. All I had was a very simple adventure planned, because the problem player will turn "opening a door" into an argument against rule 0.

Anyway, after the fantastic game and the joy if last week, now the e mails are out, citing the experience of this latest game and calling for a consensus on action. Since this time it is out of my hands, I am hopeful for support in the actions I proposed last year.

Maybe soon, the hadn't can continue without the hindrance of bad personalities.