PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question 3 - Build Advice

DwarfInTheFlask
2013-10-26, 02:40 PM
I am gonna make a Beguiler character soon but I am really loving how the Warlock looks.

How would a great Multiclass build be for a Warlock and Beguiler mix?

What feats would help and fit with both?
Would this build need specialty items or anything?

How powerful would a Warlock//Beguiler Gestalt be?

Randomguy
2013-10-26, 02:52 PM
I don't think a multiclass warlock/beguiler would be very good: By going into eldritch theurge you don't get the skillpoints of a beguiler so you're stuck with weaker warlock casting and the beguiler spellist without the beguiler class features. And by not going into eldritch theurge you've doomed yourself to a caster/caster multiclass, which is never a good idea.

A warlock/beguiler gestalt would work better: You get good skillpoints and the warlock's damage dealing invocations mix well with the beguiler's spell list, which doesn't have much damage dealing stuff. Overall you become a lot more versatile than a regular warlock or a regular beguiler.
Just make sure you don't get too MAD: Warlocks use Charisma to determine save DC's and beguilers use Intelligence, and since almost all beguiler spells force a saving throw you'll be wanting to keep your Int high and to avoid warlock invocations that allow a saving throw.

DwarfInTheFlask
2013-10-26, 02:58 PM
I see thanks.

I was curious because I wanted a character who had some more versatility.
I am curious why you kept mentioning eldritch theurge

I was talking more about like Beguiler 3/Warlock 1 style building up to get a good slice of one or the other into the class to give versatility and what not.

GameSpawn
2013-10-26, 05:32 PM
Taking one or two levels of warlock isn't unreasonable; if you try to advance the two somewhat evenly, however, you'll run into the problem that you aren't getting any high level spells/invocations. Eldritch theurge helps alleviate this problem by advancing spells of both classes at once (but has the issues mentioned above).

The fundamental point is, more low level spells won't make up for a lack of high level spells.

Captnq
2013-10-26, 06:01 PM
Uhhh... How new are you?

HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9479.msg153181#msg153181) is the Noob handbook. It's got a whole bunch of the basics. If you're having a hard time understanding basic optimization, you REALLY need to read it before you do anything else.