PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Quest Fun (if im your DM dont read this!!!)

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 03:34 PM
Ok i was on this thread, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16295968#post16295968, and someone had the great idea to base a quest off of the Robot Chicken version of Peanuts Halloween. Needless to say i love this idea. Now i just need some help determining the optimal level for this quest as well as some build help.

Dramatis Persona

Linus- Has become a Necromancer and gone made from waiting for his "god" (the Great Pumpkin) Will most likely be a Dread Necromancer

"Blanket"- A Sheet Phantom that always protects Linus. It has several Sheet Ghouls, one of which is Charles

Lucy- She is hiring the PCs to kill her brother, because she will inherit the land he is on so then she can sell it. Also he's nuts.

Sally- Lives on the edge of the forest and is still pining away for Linus, wont admit he went nuts. Is also haunted by her brother who attempted to save Linus from his madness (this is Charles)

Snoopy- (yes he's here too) is a massive Winter Wolf who has been spotted outside the forest. It has also saved several people from the Necromancers minions.

The Quest:
It seems fairly straightforward. The PCs are hired to kill Lucy's insane brother who is a "powerful" necromancer who is putting people in danger. (she doesnt mention that she wants him dead for the land)

Honestly they'll probably just head off into the forest to try and take him out right away. This is a bad idea.

As soon as they get into the forest it gets creepy. They will be attacked almost continually by Twig Blights (Instead of sticks they will be made from dried pumpkin vines) and Shambling Mounds (large pumpkins, that throw other pumpkins) Also they may be attacked by an Eaten One, a victim of the pumpkin creatures, or a graveyard sludge.

Now the goal here is to make the party turn back before they run into Linus, which ideally should happen.

Assuming the party turns back, they have several options, most of which involve gathering more info. So they will probably go talk to some people around town which will eventually lead them to Sally.

And this is all i've got right now, so help is greatly appreciated.

Captnq
2013-10-26, 03:47 PM
Well, if you want to get creepy have an old house that is colapsing in on itself and in it a sound comes out every once in a while. The odd note from a badly tuned harpsichord. In the building is Lucy's dead husband who Linus killed and animated into a zombie then commanded to play the harpsichord for the rest of eternity as a lesson to her to SHUT UP.

The harpsichord is starting to rot so only a few notes still work. he only seems to hit a working key every ten minutes or so. If the PCs investigate, he stands up and moans, "Need... fresh... cat... gut." Then lunges for them, trying to rip out their intestines to fix his harpsichord.

Around the basement are the shredded and rotted remains of Schroeder's attempts to "fix" his harpsichord. (That's where you put any treasure the players might need to win.)

You know what's sad? All my best stuff pops into my head without any planning at all.

Callin
2013-10-26, 03:48 PM
I would say 10ish. High Enough to get some fun builds but still low enough to not trivialize the encounter with a fully Optimized build.

(Edit: This is a very dark and disturbing thread. I love it)

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 03:52 PM
Ok so, the house is getting added to the forest/swamp because that is just freakin sweet. And i think i'll make it lvl 8, thats what my group calls mid level, as we rarely make it past lvl 14 lol.

(yes, yes it is. Its when im at me best as a DM lol)

Captnq
2013-10-26, 03:55 PM
Oh, half the fun of this will be that you won't tell them what's going on until the end. So remember that Lucy and Linus's last name were "van Pelt". Nobody remembers that. So make sure that the area is called "Van Pelt Estates" or Van Pelt Mountain. It's always fun to give clues.

Oh, Speaking of clues. Pig-Pen needs to be the creepy undertaker who digs graves all the time. Have him measure the PCs for Coffins, that sort of thing.

Nobody gives a name unless asked, and try to give sideways names.

Lucy is Lady Van Pelt.
Linus is Lord Van Pelt.
Pig Pen is just Pen.

Sally is Crazy Old Mrs Brown.

You need to save the big reveal for the end when the Dread Necromancer announces "You are just in time for the arrival of your new lord and master... THE GREAT PUMPKIN!!! Master, It is I, Linus! You Most Faithful Follower! I have waited for you for many years! You have finally arrived!!!"

If they haven't figured it out yet, the horror of finally putting it all together will more then likely make them kill you on the spot.

Callin
2013-10-26, 03:56 PM
Then break it up into 3 encounters CR8 for the intro up to the House CR9 for Schroeder and CR10 for Linus. That way Linus can have some mooks with him and be a proper boss battle.

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 04:02 PM
Oh, half the fun of this will be that you won't tell them what's going on until the end. So remember that Lucy and Linus's last name were "van Pelt". Nobody remembers that. So make sure that the area is called "Van Pelt Estates" or Van Pelt Mountain. It's always fun to give clues.

Oh, Speaking of clues. Pig-Pen needs to be the creepy undertaker who digs graves all the time. Have him measure the PCs for Coffins, that sort of thing.

Nobody gives a name unless asked, and try to give sideways names.

Lucy is Lady Van Pelt.
Linus is Lord Van Pelt.
Pig Pen is just Pen.

Sally is Crazy Old Mrs Brown.

You need to save the big reveal for the end when the Dread Necromancer announces "You are just in time for the arrival of your new lord and master... THE GREAT PUMPKIN!!! Master, It is I, Linus! You Most Faithful Follower! I have waited for you for many years! You have finally arrived!!!"

If they haven't figured it out yet, the horror of finally putting it all together will more then likely make them kill you on the spot.

This is beautiful, i just feel you need to know this

Captnq
2013-10-26, 04:04 PM
Oh, you need a Kite-Eating tree.

If the bad guy is so hard to kill a direct fight would be impossible, then the party needs to help heal this old, gnawled twisted trent that the white wolf (snoopy) will lead them too. The trent then offers to help them in the final battle against Lord Van Pelt.

"Me and Ranger Brown had our differences, but he shouldn't have gone out that way. It's time to set things right."

Describe the tree as having a great deal of rope stuck in it's branches, like maybe it was used for hanging something... or someone. The Trent doesn't like to take about it. "Old arguments are best left in the past."

Callin
2013-10-26, 04:06 PM
If asked the Profession of Lucy Van Pelt is Psychiatrist. So she analyzes a member of the group while talking to them. And Linus is very religious, always spouting scripture as a "lesson".

Captnq
2013-10-26, 04:18 PM
Oh, this is GOOOOOOD...

Schulz decided to abandon Charlotte Braun after only ten appearances because "he had run out of ideas" for her, and also didn't think that the character's personality was very developed. On January 5, 1955, he sent a letter to Elizabeth Swaim, a fan who wrote to him to complain about Charlotte Braun, saying in reply, "I am taking your suggestion regarding Charlotte Braun and will eventually discard her. Remember, however, that you and your friends will have the death of an innocent child on your conscience. Are you prepared to accept such responsibility?" The letter ended with a sketch of Charlotte Braun standing with an ax in her head.

There has to be a little round headed girl with an axe imbeded in her head, freshly dead somewhere in the woods for no apparent reason. If they speak with dead, all she says is, "Elizabeth Swaim wished me dead." and nothing more.

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 04:20 PM
Do you just have a class ability called epic ideas?

(fyi im using that)

Captnq
2013-10-26, 04:30 PM
Eh, you'll come up with your own stuff. Just don't over sell it. Trust me, hardest part is walking away from a great idea, but if you can't walk away from it when you need to, you'll ruin it. Subtle Subtle Subtle, then HAMMER 'em in the final climatic scene.

A Good DM has a great plot to run.
A Great DM allows the players ignore it.

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 04:35 PM
Well i will be running this as a one shot adventure for Halloween, so they will be pretty willing to ride the DM railroad lol but seriously my players tend to enjoy following my crazy plotlines. Id have to say my weak point as a DM is dialogue as i can virtually make up just about anything else, that and giving good subtle info, im not great at that either lol

Hmmmmm now what to make the Great Pumpkin..........

relytdan
2013-10-26, 05:27 PM
on the subject of the Great Pumpkin, where linus is the necromancer -
the great pumpkin could be a ghast, mummy or wight - or something close to them in the CR range of the party

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 05:44 PM
Well i was thinking about just finding a really big plant that has tentacles and maybe upping its HD.

Wait a minute.... i could just turn a Giant Squid into a Plant and give it a land speed, like 30, and the Swallow Whole ability and that should do it.

I need to look into this.

Edit: ok i may need to knock off a few tentacles, as 10 may be a bit nuts, also im turning it into a Plant so it gets a lot of nice immunities.

Ok heres my first attempt at the Great Pumpkin. The stats of those of a Giant Squid, and im just listing what changes im making.

Change HD to Plant

Replace swim speed with a 30 ft land speed
Reduce number of tentacle attacks to 6
Remove, Ink Cloud, and Jet
Remove the Swim Skill

Add Dr 10/ magic and bludgeoning
Add Vulnerability Fire and Cold
Add Immunity Electricity

relytdan
2013-10-26, 06:40 PM
other things to consider for the great pumpkin-

Constrict
Entangle
Improved grab
Tentacles that poison

Callin
2013-10-26, 06:59 PM
Just a few idea's for looks, second one is more minion than Great Pumpkin though.

http://wiki.chronicles-of-blood.com/images/Epic_bosses-Pumpkin_monster.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/302/0/5/052102ed6980042d7b1f73aec1b9aa09-d4ec03b.jpg

http://chapleau.us/Gallery/misc/PumpkinMonster2.jpg

Blackhawk748
2013-10-26, 09:10 PM
ok love the pics, probably gonna use the first and second.

Now using the stats above it would have Constrict and Improved Grab, Poison would be cool, but it may be excessive.

AzureKnight
2013-10-27, 01:09 AM
If asked the Profession of Lucy Van Pelt is Psychiatrist. So she analyzes a member of the group while talking to them. And Linus is very religious, always spouting scripture as a "lesson".

I can see a sign reading, mentalist is in, 5cp sessions.

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-27, 03:41 AM
Peppermint Patty and Marcy, as an Ettin? Two heads going back and forth, with one always calling the other "sir".

Need to find a spot for Woodstock as well. Some type of Dire bird, that follows Snoopy, squawking?

This thread? This is why I play D&D.

relytdan
2013-10-27, 07:19 AM
Peppermint Patty and Marcy, as an Ettin? Two heads going back and forth, with one always calling the other "sir".

Need to find a spot for Woodchuck as well. Some type of Dire bird, that follows Snoopy, squawking?

This thread? This is why I play D&D.

pretty sure its Woodstock ; a nixie, pixie, sprite, maybe brownie could work here.
2 headed ettin might be to much CR - and though cool not sure it it's Halloween themed... perhaps a couple of wayward ghosts

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-27, 08:12 AM
pretty sure its Woodstock ; a nixie, pixie, sprite, maybe brownie could work here.
2 headed ettin might be to much CR - and though cool not sure it it's Halloween themed... perhaps a couple of wayward ghosts

You're right; I really need to take my time when posting near the end of a 14hr graveyard. I blame Ducktales. Fixed it.

Winds of Nagual
2013-10-27, 09:03 AM
A ghost full of holes and a sling constantly mummering - I got a rock...

ooooooo..... and the harpsichord has the effect of an irresistible dance

Eric Scott
2013-10-27, 12:59 PM
A possible idea for the Great Pumpkin is an Octopus Tree from Fiend Folio... CR 12, Swallow Whole, is a plant, is Huge sized... What's not to like?

Blackhawk748
2013-10-27, 02:01 PM
A possible idea for the Great Pumpkin is an Octopus Tree from Fiend Folio... CR 12, Swallow Whole, is a plant, is Huge sized... What's not to like?

Means a lot less work for me lol

Blackhawk748
2013-11-01, 11:22 AM
ok, i've been thinking and i believe that Linus will be better served by being a Cleric, he can have the Plant Domain so then he can Rebuke the plant creatures that surround his lair

Callin
2013-11-01, 12:43 PM
Makes sense with his god being An evil pumpkin creature from the far realms. Plant, Evil, And Death Domains.

Blackhawk748
2013-11-01, 12:46 PM
thats what i was figuring, now its just a matter of his spell selection. Is Forbiddence on the Cleric List?

Edit: Nvm thats a 6th level spell