PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Werewolf-esque character.

ShootinPutin124
2013-10-26, 04:40 PM
Hello beautiful people and welcome to my thread!

Long story short I want to make a werewolf style character. Now I don't mean the lycanthrope template, I want a character who will undergo a change from their normal form to a monster where they loose control and get murder happy.

To get this result I've brain stormed and the options I see are;

Heavily played with barbarian :smallmad: - Taking the beast totem rage powers is fairly obvious I thought.

Master Chymist :smallsmile:/:smallfurious: - This one seemed to be screaming what I wanted, to get an effect like Jekyll and Hyde where a Lawful good, unassuming gentleman becomes chaotic neutral and does any little thing that he wants to.

So, I come to you sagely souls to see if you can come up with any other ways to do it, pointers on how to build on the routes I pointed out and any other titbits of information. As it stands I am tempted to go down the Master Chymist path and take Chirirgeon to get there so he is the town healer who finally has all his repressed anger and desires break free.

ArqArturo
2013-10-26, 05:45 PM
If you're beyond level 1, why not both? A True Neutral gentleman that imbibes in questionable substances to keep the beast at bay. Which is funny, because a friend's Character is sort of the thing you're looking for.

Also, I don't recommend the shapeshifter ranger.

Urpriest
2013-10-26, 06:26 PM
I'd definitely go with Beastmorph Vivisectionist Alchemist, with a few levels in Master Chymist to get the alternate personality aspect. While other shapeshifting types exist, this one's the closest to lycanthropic flavor.

avr
2013-10-26, 08:34 PM
An alchemist is the most interesting way to do this IMO, but a synthesist summoner could be used.

Or, of course, a druid. Probably with an animal shaman archetype; wolf is obvious, but boar lets you take the Rage subdomain.

magotter
2013-10-26, 09:55 PM
A vote for Barbarian and Alchemist combo here. I'd say Dip one, and then master the other. That said, I prefer Barb 1-or-2 / Alch X over its opposite. I only like Barb 2 in order to get Lesser Fiend Totem. This will grant a Gore attack on top of the three natural attacks gotten from Feral Mutagen.

Brawler is also good to get (via feats) in order to give Improved Unarmed Strike so that you can use your iterative BAB attacks plus all four of your natural weapons as Secondary natural weapons. it's like a blender of death. Aside from going full blender mode, dip Barb 1 and maybe pick up Extra Rage if you're spending more than 3 or 4 rounds in melee per combat.

Beastmorph Alchemist is a definite. Personally though I still like my bombs over sneak attack damage so I am less inclined to take Vivisectionist; I totally understand how insane the damage can be with it, though. (admittedly I'm more inclined to go Dex-Based than Str-Based for my Hyde-form, including using Urban Barbarian for my dip). But if you're going blender-mode as mentioned above vivisectionist lets you pump out even more insane damage. If not, Confusion Bomb will be about all the crowd control you need.

With all the above, you become either the penultimate Feral Rager (slashing and kicking foes into a bloody pulp), or a Noble Beast (still lots of slashing, but occaisionally a confusion or dispel bomb in their to shake up the fight). Bonus points for dressing like up like some kind of aristocrat or plague surgeon, like so (http://i.imgur.com/N5hneAP.png).

grarrrg
2013-10-26, 11:11 PM
Beastmorph (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/beastmorph) Alchemist sounds almost TOO perfect...

At 3rd level, a beastmorph’s mutagen causes him to take on animalistic features—.... For example, when the beastmorph uses his mutagen, he may gain a furry muzzle and pointed ears like a werewolf,...

Feral Mutagen discovery gets you Claws and a Bite attack.

I'd recommend Beastmorph Alchemist 7/Master Chymist 1/Alchemist +3
Reason for this is that you want an "uncontrolled" change, and purposely brewing/drinking a Mutagen is a little too controlled.
Level 8 is the soonest for Master Chymist, which gives 2/day non-potion Mutagens.
But then you actually want to go BACK to Beastmorph until level 10, so you can grab sweet, sweet, Pounce.
From there it's up to you if you go Alchemist or Master Chymist.

ShootinPutin124
2013-10-27, 05:42 AM
Beastmorph (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/beastmorph) Alchemist sounds almost TOO perfect...

Feral Mutagen discovery gets you Claws and a Bite attack.

I'd recommend Beastmorph Alchemist 7/Master Chymist 1/Alchemist +3
Reason for this is that you want an "uncontrolled" change, and purposely brewing/drinking a Mutagen is a little too controlled.
Level 8 is the soonest for Master Chymist, which gives 2/day non-potion Mutagens.
But then you actually want to go BACK to Beastmorph until level 10, so you can grab sweet, sweet, Pounce.
From there it's up to you if you go Alchemist or Master Chymist.

Well so far this seems like the best way to get what I want, thanks to all of you for your responses! I'll keep monitoring this thread just incase anyone else has any other great ideas.

JusticeZero
2013-10-27, 10:49 AM
You can also pick up Psionics Augmented and make a Feral Heart Soulknife. There is also a Psionic Warrior build that uses natural weapons, or an Egoist gish or Wilder can pull it off too, or even a Fear In Flesh Dread.