PDA

View Full Version : e6 incarnum character help needed

Duke Arioch
2013-10-26, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone. I am about to start an e6 game in a couple of days, and I need some help.
The reason I am in need of help is that I decided to dab into incarnum for the first time. Now, even though I own the book for a couple of years, I never really had a chance to try it out, since all of the DM's I played with are not so hot for it, and all of the players in games I was DMing are almost afraid of it, which, in turn, led me to not use it in my games. I have zero experience with anything related to the incarnum.
However, I did read through it, understood it and made a couple of theoretical builds (usually full 20 level runs, or as dips). It seems to be really fun.
Now, before i came to you, I searched the web and read loads of info on how incarnum could be used in e6, and came down to 3 choices for the class picks: pure totemist, pure incarnate or totemist 2/incarnate4 split. All of these have merits, and I am strongly leaning towards the third option, as I feel it gives more versatility. So, my first question is am I correct in my assumption that t2/i4 is the best choice? My reasoning behind this is that although totemist 6 has most offensive power, it will somewhat lack in versatility (most melds are focused on damage dealing with various natural weapons, often redundant as they don't stack - there are only so many claws and bites you can bind and use at the same time). This choice will also have attack bonus issues sooner or later (BAB of 4 and little or no means to increase attack without going full on STR score). Full incarnate on the other hand has many ways to increase attack bonus, shore up it's defenses and many other cool toys, but lacks in offense.
Now, the 2/4 split will give me the all-important-for-offense totem bind, very nicely supplemented with incarnate buffs and tricks. This also has access to both soulmeld lists. BAB does lose a point compared to full totemist (is the same as full incarnate) at level 6, but can be boosted using incarnate soulmelds to be much higher than a full totemsit can hope for to achieve.
Now onto my other questions.
The game is a 32pt buy with only non-LA races allowed. This time around I want to stay away from anything ToB related, since I can't remember when was the last time I didn't use it games I played, and since DM (my good friend) asked me nicely to skip martial adepts this time around.
I decided to choose Hellbred (Fiendish Codex 2) as my race. I went LN, and took body aspect (+2 CON, -2 INT and a bonus devil-touched feat at level 4). I also decided I will try to refrain from using girallon arms meld too much (not never, but not all the time either) and go with manticore belt for a primary totem bind, with option to take melee binds (including girallon handy blender) from time to time. The scores I went with are STR 14, DEX 14, CON 19+1, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 9. This will give me awesome CON, and respectable STR and DEX to go with both melee and ranged soulmelds. I chose to dump WIS, as I will be getting Steadfast determination feat, and I don't plan on UMDing or being party face, so CHA score doesn't seem useful. Would you change these or am I fine with this placement?
My skills will go into various knowledge skills and that is it. I really don't see a point in getting concentration or spellcraft.
For feats (flaws are allowed) I decided to go with Endurance+Steadfast determination, Expanded soulmeld capacity (probably twice), Bonus essentia, probably Knowledge devotion and some ranged melee when I can. Further in the "epic" levels I will go with situational incarnum feats to boost my essentia pool and get some other tricks. Can you give me any advice there?
And the last question: Should I get Necrocarnum acolyte and use the zombie as meat shield? Sadly, this is the only aspect the 2/4 split doesn't favor, as my incarnate meldshaper level will be only 4 at level six, which in turn will lower the maximum level of the zombie, as well as it's essentia pool. Is it still worth it in e6 game?
P.S. I am one of only two players in this game, and I don't know what he will play yet. If I find out, I will post it.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Duke Arioch
2013-10-27, 04:50 PM
Sad bump.

I have to submit my character in less than 24 hours. ANY help would be appreciated. So, to reiterate:
1) totemist 2/incarnate 4 better than straight totemist or incarnate?
2) 32pt buy stats are 14, 14, 19+1, 12, 8, 9. Is that ok for focusing mainly on manticore belt bind and using other binds from time to time?
3) Steadfast determination worth it? (flaws allowed)

Thanks in advance.

Twilightwyrm
2013-10-27, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately, I have not played any Incarnum classes either, although I have considered incorporating it into builds (specifically for a Totem Rager). So, with this being said, here is what I would advise:
Unless you want to invest some points into Wisdom, just go Totemist 6. While you will lack some of the versatility of a Totemist 2/Incarnate 4, the fact that the Incarnate's DCs are Wis based, so you are crippling some of your versatility to begin with by tanking your DCs. Because you are in e6, you will be able to get as much essentia as you need, and open as many Chakras as you need, by taking the requisite feats after 6th level, so the Incarnate levels don't help as much here as you might think, though they would still help with Will saves (if you go full Totemist 6, Steadfast Determination will definitely be worth it. Otherwise, perhaps not). However, if you are willing to invest a bit in Wisdom, then an Totemist/Incarnate should work fine. If you do go Totemist/Incarnate, I would recommend Str 14, Dex 14, Con 17(15), Int 12(14), Wis 14, Cha 8. Your Con should still be high, but the fact that magic item Con bonuses can increase the number of Soulmelds you can shape makes a high initial Con will be unnecessary. Further, getting your Con to 19 in an e6 game is a bit of a waste, since magic items will increase it by increments of 2, so the extra point will be essentially useless unless you anticipate getting Wish-based inherent bonuses (which, this being an e6 game, I would not rely on). Therefore, starting off with an odd Con score will be better for long-term planning than an even one.
This will depend a bit however on what you think your partner will play. Totemist will be a great melee combatant, and have a good deal of versatility, but if your partner will already be a melee powerhouse, a full Incarnate's greater utility might be helpful.

Vaz
2013-10-27, 05:29 PM
I haven't played E6, so cannot say either way.

However I have played Totemist and frequently dip Incarnate and/or Totemist.

Much of the strengths of Incarnum come from the Chakra binds, because the low max receptacle and amount of Essentia to throw around means that the investment gets you very little, while the more varied Chakras which give flexibility to the classes (being dip friendly) rely on the higher Character level to open via feats.

As you are limited to 6th level, I recommend Totemist 2 dip, with Open Least (Crown) and (hands), plus Mindsight. Bear in mind that these are all 6th level or later options. The Hands lets you Pounce.

With Mindsight, you obviate a need for Spot and Listen, but it limits your utility warly on. This might be where Incarnate comes in, actually (Skarn Incarnate 4/Totemist 2 can be quite powerful, you get plenty of feats, so Azurin isn't needed).

Coidzor
2013-10-27, 05:52 PM
IIRC, Totemist 2/Incarnate 4 is generally considered to be better than Totemist 6, but it's not as cut-and-dry situation whether Incarnate 6 or Incarnate 4/Totemist 2 is better.

That said, if you're going to be Incarnate/Totemist, you'll probably have to devote a number of feats to expanding your meldshaping in the epic portion instead of being able to focus as comfortably on other ways of expanding your character.

You'll want to check if Double Chakra is going to be adapted so you can take it or not as well.

Waker
2013-10-27, 06:10 PM
Personally I wouldn't go with Endurance and Steadfast Determination. The Incarnate already has high Will, even with your low Wisdom score. Having to drop two feats to get that really hurts, feats that could better be spent on Necrocarnate Acolyte, Bonus Essentia, Split Chakra or something else. Necrocarnate Acolyte is very nice for E6, as having an extra body with Necrocarnum Circlet is always helpful, especially a free one that you can always have around. Between the Circlet and Vitality Belt, there is a little incentive to stay straight Incarnate.
Should you go Totemist/Incarnate, remember that you cannot bind Totemist soulmelds to chakras opened with your Incarnate levels. You will have to get the feats Open Chakra that Vaz mentioned.

Duke Arioch
2013-10-27, 08:53 PM
First of all, ty all for your input.
@Twilightwyrm: CON of 19 will become 20 at level 4. That is why I put it in odd number. Now regarding WIS score, I do intend to use mostly totemist melds and binds for attacks, and incarnate ones as a suplement. Incarnate would be there for survival, boosting attack bonus, DR, and all around utility (Astral vambraces, Airstep sandals, etc.). I don't intend to use save or suck/die abilities of incarnate binds, so I don't see WIS score as important. And if I take Steadfast determination, it seems doubly so. Is my reasoning correct?

@Vaz: Open (totemist) chakras are indeed on the "epic" feat list I intended to take. And Shedu crown+mindsight is tasty. I don't plan on stacking a lot of natural weapons (2 or 3 from binds are enough), so I didn't go with race that has them. I picked hellbred for flavor, and that it has CON boost is enough for me. And, although I very much like the incarnum, I simply cannot stand any of the races introduced there - they all seem drab and unimaginative.

@Coldzor: Thankfully, feats are not a major issue in e6, and this game will go as far as at least 10-12 post-level-6 feats. As for double chakra, DM is thinking it over atm, so I don't know if he will waive level 9 requirement (fingers crossed). I guess it depends on what level of optimization my partner goes with.

@Waker: Necrocarnate acolyte will not be needed (even though my alignment will be LN) as DM interpreted Hellbred Evil exception (I can use evil things as long as I don't use them for evil deeds) to work with soulmelds with evil descriptor. I am aware that you can bind only class granted soulmelds to class granted chakras. I was tempted to use necrocarnum zombie, but I am not sure if it will be worth it with only 4 levels in incarnate (meaning only 4HD zombie). Now if "practiced meldshaper" feat existed...

Again, thank you all :)

Waker
2013-10-27, 10:24 PM
If your DM is allowing you to use necrocarnum without the feat, I would say go for it. Even if the zombie is only 4HD, it's a flanker, trap finder and etc that can be gained for free every time you fight against some living enemies. And in E6, every body that you can field counts. In a normal game, the zombie loses it's luster a bit when you get up in the levels, but in E6 it is always useful.

Coidzor
2013-10-28, 01:28 AM
Indeed, same sort of situation as Wild Cohort (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), only the necrocarnum zombie is better able to help with fiddly things, and you don't have to spend any resources beyond a shaped soulmeld and a chakra bind on it.

Duke Arioch
2013-10-29, 05:59 AM
Okay. I finished up my character, and I am happy with my choices and thankful for the help.

I did a lot of research and number crunching, so I want to put this out there for other people who might have the same questions I did:

Totemist 2/Incarnate 4 is INDEED the best choice if you want to play e6, barring some special cases where you want to focus on certain things. Let's compare this to going straight Totemist 6 or Incarnate 6.

Totemist 6:
-by level 6 you get 2 less essentia (not a huge problem, but it is there)
-same level of binds (2), but T6 draws them both from the same list
-only 4 soulmelds (T2/I4 gets 3+4=7!)
-you get totem, crown, hands and feet open chakras (all from totemist list), while with T2/I6 you get the same, but only totem chakra from totemist list (without feats)
-BAB 4 (the split gets only 3), better reflex saves, worse will saves
-bonus saves against magical beasts' (Su) attacks
-minor boost to DC of your soulmelds being "unshaped"
-full meldshaper level which can be a boost to some things that depend on it

Incarnate 6:
-same number of essentia
-same number of binds, but only from incarnate list
-again only 4 soulmelds
-only crown, feet and hands chakras from incarnate list
-BAB 3 (same as T2/I4), worse reflex, better will saves
-ability to reshape one soulmeld 1/day
-full meldshaper level which boosts certain things that depend on it (arguably more important for incarnate 6 than totemist 6); things like necrocarnum zombie grow in power the higher the meldshaper level is.

T2/I4 taps into both worlds, and because of the way the class tables are written out for 1st couple of levels, ends up better in almost every way. You end up with more soulmelds, more essencia, access to two lists, access to one of the greatest meldshaper class features - totem chakra.

It should be noted that T2/I4 loses very little and gains a lot by not staying Incarnate 6, but completely changes play-style compared to totemist 6.

That is it. Just wanted to write out my observations, in case some other incarnum-newbie needed some insight in the matter.
Thank you all.

Person_Man
2013-10-29, 08:35 AM
Your E6 Incarnum analysis is spot on.

Another option to consider: Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 3, perhaps with the Able Learner Feat. You give up 1 soulmeld, 1 point of essentia, your Incarnate Hands/Feet bind (unless you spend a Feat to open either), and your Necrocarnum Zombie is weak. But you gain the Rogue's Skill list, Trapfinding, and Sneak Attack (useful for Staggering Strike Feat and/or Craven), and you probably weren't going to use your Necrocarnum Zombie as Totemist 2/Incarnate 4 anyway.

You could also do Sorcerer 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 3. You lose the Incarnate 4 stuff, but gain some low level spells, rarely have to use UMD, and gain a Familiar. The latter is a big deal, because it qualifies you for the Share Soulmeld Feat, which grants your familiar all the benefits of your soulmelds, which basically doubles the effectiveness of many soulmelds.