PDA

View Full Version : Bard Frustrations

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-27, 12:28 AM
Couple weeks ago I made a NG PF version of my Dooku bard. See this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284559

Character concept was molded a bit to fit within the DM's designs; we were all either members of or associates with a church. In my case, I was a bard that served as ombudsman/diplomat for the church. I served as arbiter for the townsfolk, arraigned conferences and social events, help host foreign ambassadors, etc. Some bluff, diplomacy, and charm, with LOTS of language themed work. At level 1 I spoke 17 languages, IIRC.

Anyways, this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16221966&postcount=33

reminded me of why I had so much difficulty with the character in the party. During a dungeon crawl we open a door to find a room with 4 or 5 goblins. We're level two at this point; we'd skipped this side quest and leveled, so we were a bit overpowered. I immediately circumvent all combat; little bluff/intimidation and negotiation, speaking in their native tongue, and the goblins were going to leave. Had an oath that they would depart the region, and stop raiding the local town, etc etc. Our paladin said "Nope, they're evil" and started a quick, 2-3 round murder them all fest.

Now, the way I see it, I RP'd that encounter perfectly. I see the all-out "kill 'em all" as a) unneccessary, and b) murder.

I get that goblins are craven, and the probably would've gone back on their word (regardless of my Sense Motive check); they may have raised the alarm on their way out (DM's later revealed plan had they not been slaughtered).

However, I think that the "kill all goblins" attitude doesn't fit in well with LG play. Sure, paladins are supposed to be zealots with telephone pole suppositories, but isn't the goal of a paladin supposed to be like the Knights of the Cross; converting evil to good, showing mercy and charity, etc.?

It makes me wonder, how does one balance metagaming with RP? That character was fantastic for RP, not so much for combat (what's to be expected from a bard). Great face character (hard for me to play face, but was a good challenge). Lots of opportunities too, for always trying to talk his way out of a fight, and broker peace. Kissenger eat your heart out. But it felt off trying to buff my party to kill people I'd just convinced to surrender.

Had we been playing a Neutral or Evil campaign, it'd be great tactics. Put them off their guard, and then get surprise round to murder them all. As we're all supposed to be godly, it seemed OOC for the party.