PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Here comes the Revenant

IronFist
2013-10-27, 04:28 AM
For my next PF session, I'm planning a kind of murder mistery.
A noble is being attacked by a particularly canny revenant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/revenant). The players are hired to protect him. Thing is, the revenant has backup as well - he comes with some minions (minor undead) and buffs.
The (kinda obvious) twist is that the revenant was the noble's lover. She was daughter to a spellcaster, who is buffing her and giving her minions to help her. However - and this is a least obvious twist, IMHO - it was her father who killed her and used illusions to look like it was the other guy.

This looks cool enough to me, but I want help with the spellcaster. Which class should I make him? I wanted to get fox's cunning on the revenant, to justify her running away when overpowered. I think Alchemist fits the mad scientist vibe, but I need minions (and undead could work). Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :smallsmile:

Oh, this is for a 5th level game.

Spore
2013-10-27, 08:12 AM
I wanted to get fox's cunning on the revenant, to justify her running away when overpowered. .

You know the term fight or flight? Even animals can do that, and they have an INT of 1 or 2. Surely, the revenant is an vengeful undead but even he should be able to compute simple tactical decisions.

Other than that, just use an illusionist or necromancer wizard. Maybe you could add zombies that can be compared (with appropriate knowledge or perception checks) to ancestors of the family in question. Because the necromancer needs to take the bodies for minions from SOMEwhere.

Alchemist (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/alchemist.html#_alchemical-zombie) is possible but takes an Lv 8 Alchemist which could be too hard to kill for your group.

IronFist
2013-10-27, 08:25 AM
You know the term fight of flight? Even animals can do that, and they have an INT of 1 or 2. Surely, the revenant is an vengeful undead but even he should be able to compute simple tactical decisions.
Absolutely, it's just that normally revenants fight to the death.

Other than that, just use an illusionist or necromancer wizard. Maybe you could add zombies that can be compared (with appropriate knowledge or perception checks) to ancestors of the family in question. Because the necromancer needs to take the bodies for minions from SOMEwhere.
I'm almost set on a Reanimator Alchemist, it sounds a bit more creepy. Alchemical Relentless Zombies ftw. I'm thinking of complimenting it with Preservationist, for variety.

Spore
2013-10-27, 08:28 AM
Then go for that. Lv 8 is a tad bit strong for Lv 5 groups, but keep in mind that Alchemists are not very powerful for a good group. You could always use a Cleric with Command Undead and FORCE the Revenant to do your bidding.

IronFist
2013-10-27, 08:30 AM
Then go for that. Lv 8 is a tad bit strong for Lv 5 groups, but keep in mind that Alchemists are not very powerful for a good group.

Level 8 is CR 7, that's not even much of a boss fight. I think they will do just fine. :smallcool:

Spore
2013-10-27, 08:31 AM
I forgot to subtract a level. Sorry I haven't actively DMed and I am trying to put up a fight for my future group myself.

IronFist
2013-10-27, 10:04 AM
I forgot to subtract a level. Sorry I haven't actively DMed and I am trying to put up a fight for my future group myself.

No problem. :smallsmile:
I'm considering the Alchemist's escape plan when the heroes finally realize what is going on.