PDA

View Full Version : Fusion + Mind Seed Psychic Powers.

Clistenes
2013-10-27, 07:21 AM
Let say that two characters, one of them a psionist, use the Fusion psionic power to become one.

The gestalt character uses Mind Seed to create a new character out of a sacrifical victim.

How do you calculate the stats of the new creature? When using Mind Seed you would usually remove eight class levels from the base creature to determine the new creature's stats, but, since the base creature is a Fusion, how do you do it?

My instinct tells me that you should remove four class levels from each of the original creatures, and treat the new creature as a Fusion of both "original-character-minus-four-level" creatures.

What are your thoughts about it?

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-27, 07:41 AM
I think that absent a few specific games you should just smack on the back of the head anyone who mentions combining Fusion with Astral Seed, Mind Seed, Simulacrum, or Ice Assassin.

And no, you can't run a Fusion + Ice Assassin loop to continuously double your HP and PP while also picking up all powers known. No it's even worse to level rebuild yourself to add on 19 levels of every other class in the game.

And yes, you can do that by RAW. It makes the Illithid Savant look like a joke most of the time.

You can have 20 HD with the abilities of a 20th level Psion and those of a 19th level member of every single other base class in the game along with those of most every single non epic PrC.

And all with absolutely no downsides.

Clistenes
2013-10-27, 11:29 AM
Another question: If you PAO a non-humanoid creature into an humanoid, and use Mind Seed on that creature...what happens when you dispel the PAO spell? Does the Mind Seed effect get dispelled too? Or could it become, say a bear with the mind of a human?

Psyren
2013-10-27, 12:27 PM
Another question: If you PAO a non-humanoid creature into an humanoid, and use Mind Seed on that creature...what happens when you dispel the PAO spell? Does the Mind Seed effect get dispelled too? Or could it become, say a bear with the mind of a human?

"The bear begins to unconsciously take on your mannerisms..."

Clistenes
2013-10-27, 02:37 PM
"The bear begins to unconsciously take on your mannerisms..."

A bear, a Medusa, a Centaur, a Mindflayer, an Harpy, a Sphinx...whatever you like. I'm just curious about what would happen.

Psyren
2013-10-27, 02:42 PM
Your last statement is probably what I'd go with. "Bear with the mind of a human" (specifically, your mind) would be the result, coupled with the outlook and experiences of a bear to make it a unique individual.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-27, 02:44 PM
A bear, a Medusa, a Centaur, a Mindflayer, an Harpy, a Sphinx...whatever you like. I'm just curious about what would happen.
Something to keep in mind: Most effects in D&D were developed in relative isolation - they were not really intended to be used with everything else. Many interactions are simply not specified. In such cases, you need to ask your DM. This is one of them.