PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Demon Lord] Shadow of the Abyss (WiP)

Xuldarinar
2013-10-27, 10:08 AM
SHADOW OF THE ABYSS
A mass of shadowy forms rises out of the gloom, wriggling and twisting.
It stays to the corners of your vision, growing, shrinking, bulging up only to recede into the shadows, myriads of shadow faces and hands reaching out toward you.
You instinctively look away, knowing that if you saw it, it would break your mind, and in the madness you might see its true form, a fate far more terrible.

Shadow of the Abyss
Gargantuan Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Incorporal, Obyrith)
Hit Dice: 36d8+360 (522 hp)
Initiative: +20
Speed: Fly 100 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 39 (-4 size, +16 Dex, +7 deflection), touch 39, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +36/-
Attack: Incorporeal touch +49 melee (2d6 plus 8d6 cold)
Full Attack: 2 incorporeal touches +34 melee (2d6 plus 8d6 cold)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Shadow mastery, Spell-like abilities, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, damage reduction 20/cold iron, epic, good, Immunity to poison and mind-affecting abilities, Resistance to acid 10, cold 20, electricity 10, and fire 20, spell resistance 35, fast healing 10, haste, outsider traits, incorporeal traits, form of madness, true seeing, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +30, Ref +38, Will +26
Abilities: Str -, Dex 43, Con 30, Int 18, Wis 19, Cha 25
Skills: Bluff 26, Concentration 20, Diplomacy 13, Hide 35, Intimidate 26, Knowledge (arcana) 14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 14, Knowledge (religion) 23, Knowledge (the planes) 23, Listen 43, Search 14, Sense Motive 23, Spellcraft 26, Spot 43, Use Magic Device 23
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dark Speech, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Ghostly Grasp, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch), Whirlwind Attack
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Shadow Mastery (Ex): The Shadow of the Abyss gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both it and its foe are in an area of darkness or shadowy illumination. While in an area of bright light, shadow elementals take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls.
Spell-like abilities: The Shadow of the Abyss can use the following spell like abilities. (CL 21)
At Will- Astral projection, chaos hammer, cloak of chaos, desecrate, detect good, detect law, echo spell (mystery), greater dispel magic, greater shadow evocation (mystery), greater teleport, plane shift, shape change, telekinesis, unhallow, word of chaos
3/day- Dusk and Dawn (mystery), Far Sight (mystery), Symbol of Insanity, Tomb of Night (mystery)
1/day- Black Labyrinth (mystery), Shades
Haste (Su): The Shadow of the Abyss gains the effects of the haste spell.
Smite Good (Su): Once per day the shadow of the abyss can make an attack to deal +20 additional damage against a good foe. The creature must decide to use its smite power before its attack. A missed attack wastes that use of the smite good ability.
Form of Madness (Su): Any creature within 120 feet that observes the shadow of the abyss must attempt a DC 35 Will save. Failure indicates they have glimpsed it's true form and in doing so have developed an overwhelming fear of darkness. As long as an area of even shadowy illumination is in sight, the creature distracted with fear and takes a -4 penalty on Will saving throws. He also takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls against creatures native to the plane of shadow, as well as shadow demons, the Shadow of the Abyss, and shadows (the undead creature). On the first round of combat against such a creature, the character must succeed on a DC 25 Will save or be paralyzed with fear for 1d6 rounds. A heal or greater restoration spell can cure the effects if the caster succeeds on a DC 30 caster level check. Miracle or wish automatically cures the condition.
A creature that makes this save is immune to the Shadow of the Abyss's form of madness for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting fear ability that does not affect chaotic evil outsiders. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Known only as the Shadow of the Abyss, this entity is among the oldest and most obscure of demon lords.

STRATEGY AND TACTICS

SERVANTS, ENEMIES, AND GOALS

Clerics of the Shadow of the Abyss have access to the domains of Chaos, Entropy, Evil, and Vile Darkness. There is no standard symbol for the shadow of the abyss, but the most common is black and in the distorted shape of a man, meant to represent a shadow. Clerics to the Shadow of the Abyss have been known to use this for this unholy symbol, but this varies from cult to cult.

SHADOW OF THE ABYSS LORE
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (religion) or knowledge (the planes) can learn about the Shadow of the Abyss. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC|Result
?|?
?|?
?|?
?|?

Xuldarinar
2013-12-04, 09:01 PM
Bumping this up. I could use some help developing this demon lord further, and I really could use some general feed back.

Noxsis
2013-12-05, 10:40 AM
i think you might be missing the amount of fast healing. oh and by the way LONG LIVE SHADOW MAGIC:smallbiggrin:

Xuldarinar
2013-12-05, 11:28 AM
i think you might be missing the amount of fast healing. oh and by the way LONG LIVE SHADOW MAGIC:smallbiggrin:

Thank you for catching that. I had forgotten to put in a fast healing value.

And yes, long live shadow magic.

umbrapolaris
2014-04-24, 12:53 AM
maybe an uttercold aura that suck heat and life to those in his proximity?

Xuldarinar
2014-04-24, 03:15 AM
maybe an uttercold aura that suck heat and life to those in his proximity?

I'll be honest, didn't expect to see this one dug up. Anyways, thats not a bad idea. I'd have to figure a balance day to scale it, examples of where similar things exist being the most helpful aside from it being handed to me on a silver platter. But thank you for that idea, I don't know if I would have come up with it on my own.