PDA

View Full Version : Forced Dream Vs. Temporal Repair?

Demonic_Spoon
2013-10-27, 02:56 PM
So the big daddy of erasing timelines, Forced Dream(MoE), of Dream of Metal fame, can be used to wipe out any arbitrary span of time. Using the base scenario postulated in Dream of Metal, the doomclock wipes out the last millennia of time.

Enter the hero of the Hour, Temporal Repair(DR#350). This spell stops any time spells and effects from doing anything to creatures in it's 50ft radius sphere of effect. So say a high level wizard has this persisted when the doomclock goes off, does he survive unscatched? If so, where is he? In the reset reality? Does anything else odd occur?

The interaction between the two is a bit RAW iffy, since Temporal Repair is a bit vague in it's actual mandate, and Forced Dream is technically a Telepathy spell, if of the level where you rewrite reality through sheer mindpower. Still, this seems like it could add an interesting twist to a Dream of Metal type scenario.

Radar
2013-10-27, 03:32 PM
I don't know, what happens by RAW, but it would probably be the best to just assume, that time is a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey whimey... stuff. In short: wing it in a way, that seems sensible and/or fun.

At any rate, there are other ways to be exempt from the time scrubbing, but they have their own dangers:

Let's look at The Far Realms. They are explicitly causaly disjoined from the Material Plane and all the others (when you planeshift there, you arrive at a completly random point and time in Far Realms and the outsiders living there also appear at random place and moment, when they visit the Material Plane).

There is also Quintessence - a substance, which stops the flow of time. I don't know, how it interacts with time scrubbing either.

Red Fel
2013-10-27, 04:10 PM
Let's look at Temporal Repair first. I would question the designation of anything as a "time spell or effect" - what does that mean? Does that include Haste? White Raven Tactics? Since I don't have Dragon Magazine in front of me, I have no idea what would be subject to such a spell.

Even assuming Temporal Repair was not therefore so vague as to be outright useless, however, I am not convinced it affects Forced Dream, because I am not convinced that Forced Dream actually alters time.

The implication of Forced Dream, particularly of its type (Telepathy (Compulsion)), is that the subject has, in essence, "dreamed" the turn of its use, and by a swift action, may "awaken" from that dream back to the moment of casting. Thus, they become aware of what may happen, allowing them to do otherwise.

I would therefore rule that Forced Dream is more precognitive than time-altering in nature (which raises serious questions as to whether the Dream of Metal actually works).

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-27, 09:01 PM
Forced Dream isn't time travel.

It's essentially omnipotent reality alteration. It's saying "wow, that was just a really vivid dream".

Time Regression lets you actually reverse time and would be blocked by Temporal Repair.

Forced Dream let's you say "this turn was just a fantasy that never happened" and wouldn't be blocked.