PDA

View Full Version : Demonwrecker class

Clistenes
2013-10-27, 02:57 PM
What do you think about the Demonwrecker class?

Most of the class features would be quite useless for a party equiped with Cold Iron or Blessed or Holy weapons.

The Demonwreck Spell Damage class feature is a better than the Consecrate Spell feat against demonic foes (it doesn't change the level of the spell slot), but the Energy Substitution (Sonic) feat would do the trick too, and work against non-demonic foes.

Breach Spell Resistance is nice (you add your Demonwrecker class level to your caster level when trying to bypass the SR of chaotic of evil outsiders), but is useless against any other foe.

You get the best feature at fifth level, Perfect Breach, that allows you to ignore the SR of demons.

I wouldn't take the class unless I expected to fight demons all the time, that's a given but, I you DO fight demons quite often, would you take the class?

Pluto!
2013-10-27, 04:02 PM
Compared to a Cleric, it gets some very narrow class features, but doesn't really lose anything important in exchange for them. It requires a feat, but it's one that's playable (though a bit on the weak side).

Altogether, I think it's about as close to a net neutral as you can get from a PrC, which is actually not that great from an optimization perspective, since there exist so many classes that are just straight upgrades with things like extra feats, extra domains, cheap metamagic or widely-applicable class features for essentially free.

But since we're still talking about a full Cleric with slightly augmented features, that's still probably more than reasonable for almost any game.

That said, I probably wouldn't ever use it, even in a Demon-heavy game. That's not because it isn't among the most outrageously powerful classes in the game, but just because it's kind of bland - a bunch of situational "Ignore X amount of Y defense on this certain class of monster" abilities.

Combined with the pretty neutral power level, I'm not sure when I'd use this over something that would be either stronger (eg. Magical Training Dweomerkeeper) or just have more interesting and active things to do (eg. Earth Dreamer, Ordained Champion or Malconvoker).

Flickerdart
2013-10-27, 04:07 PM
"Yeah, you know how these particular monsters have some unique defensive features that make them interesting to fight? I'd like to take a class that negates these, please." Taking a bland class to make the monsters you fight bland too just forces me to make a Will save against sleep at an impossible DC.

Big Fau
2013-10-27, 04:23 PM
"Yeah, you know how these particular monsters have some unique defensive features that make them interesting to fight? I'd like to take a class that negates these, please." Taking a bland class to make the monsters you fight bland too just forces me to make a Will save against sleep at an impossible DC.

Not to imply that a Cleric couldn't do that without this PrC.