PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt and level adjustment 3.5

Zero grim
2013-10-27, 04:10 PM
A quick question here, if you have a gestalt character with a level adjustment should they just just get one class for those levels or nothing?

so does a level 3 gestalt drow (+2 level adjustment) get to be fighter 1 rogue 3 or just fighter rogue 1.

I would say you get the first option, what experience do other people have with such a gestalt?

Flickerdart
2013-10-27, 04:13 PM
A quick question here, if you have a gestalt character with a level adjustment should they just just get one class for those levels or nothing?

so does a level 3 gestalt drow (+2 level adjustment) get to be fighter 1 rogue 3 or just fighter rogue 1.

I would say you get the first option, what experience do other people have with such a gestalt?
Level adjustment is basically like taking levels in a race, so it only goes on one side. One not-so-common house rule is to let people distribute LA along both sides (so a 3rd level gestalt Drow might be a Fighter 2//Ranger 2). Making LA take up both sides of a gestalt would make it even less desirable than normal, and given that most creatures have way too much LA for what they do, this is not something you want.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-27, 04:15 PM
It depends entirely on your DM and your gaming group, there are zero official rules stating how to handle level adjustment on gestalt characters.

If it were up to me, each player would decide for their own character. If a level adjustment takes up an entire character level, it could eventually be bought off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm). If each point of level adjustment takes up only one class level, it cannot be bought off but is not as bad for the character early on.

Edit: You could also opt to use the Drow Racial Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) instead of the traditional level adjustment, in which case it would definitely only count as a single class on a gestalt character.

Zero grim
2013-10-27, 04:23 PM
thanks for the quick replys, I will be GMing this gestalt game so i think ill say it counts as one class for these purposes level buy off if something none of them will ever bother to do.

AzureKnight
2013-10-27, 07:37 PM
Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the rules prevented gestalt with racial levels. You had to finish racial levels before you got class levels, which meant you couldnt take levels in a race and class at the same time.

Grant it every dm is different so yours may allow it.

Flickerdart
2013-10-27, 07:48 PM
Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the rules prevented gestalt with racial levels. You had to finish racial levels before you got class levels, which meant you couldnt take levels in a race and class at the same time.
This is only true for Savage Species monster classes. One could argue that the monster class rules presented in the online Savage Progressions articles (which do allow multiclassing out of "monster") represent an update of these rules, overriding the 3.0 rules on the matter. In either case, anything outside of Savage Species is beyond its jurisdiction.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-27, 07:55 PM

Grant it every dm is different so yours may allow it.

The Savage Progressions race/template classes do not follow the same rules as the monster classes in Savage Species: "Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)"