PDA

View Full Version : Con drain and HP

Max Caysey
2013-10-27, 04:33 PM
Hello...

If my level 30 Rogue with 321 HP has 24 con, and is reduced by poison to 1 con. Does he then die from HP loss? As far as I can see he would loose 360 hp! first 7 per HD down to 10 con then another 5 hp per HD down to 1 thats actually the same as 12x30 360, but he only has 321... what happens then?

ryu
2013-10-27, 04:36 PM
Hello...

If my level 30 Rogue with 321 HP has 24 con, and is reduced by poison to 1 con. Does he then die from HP loss? As far as I can see he would loose 360 hp! first 7 per HD down to 10 con then another 5 hp per HD down to 1 thats actually the same as 12x30 360, but he only has 321... what happens then?

Since you're specifically treated as gaining one HP minimum per level regardless of con and rolls? You now have HP equal to your level. Hope nothing has poked you to deal damage right now... That could still be the death of you right at the point of con damage.

Max Caysey
2013-10-27, 04:47 PM
Nice to know....

Now lets say that I had taken 100 damage before the con drain. What would my HP total be?

ryu
2013-10-27, 04:51 PM
Nice to know....

Now lets say that I had taken 100 damage before the con drain. What would my HP total be?

Dead. You're deep in negatives. Unless you have some incredibly high level you're kinda screwed. This is assuming I'm not missing some even more obscure bit of minutia that works in your favor.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-27, 04:55 PM
Nice to know....

This is the problem raging barbarians and frenzied berserkers have. They survive combat, then collapse and die of wounds once their con goes back to normal.

Before the con drain, you'd be at 221/321.
Afterwards, you'd be at -70 out of 30.

You're level 30, isn't there someone in the party that can fix that?

holywhippet
2013-10-27, 05:06 PM
Nice to know....

According to the D&D Wiki:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ability_Score_Loss

If a character’s Constitution score drops, then he loses 1 hit point per Hit Die for every point by which his Constitution modifier drops. A hit point score can’t be reduced by Constitution damage or drain to less than 1 hit point per Hit Die

So I think that means the CON loss can't take you below 1 HP per hit dice so you'd have 30 HP left since you have 30 hit dice.

ryu
2013-10-27, 05:09 PM
According to the D&D Wiki:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ability_Score_Loss

So I think that means the CON loss can't take you below 1 HP per hit dice so you'd have 30 HP left since you have 30 hit dice.

That's the point I was making earlier. 30 HP base in this state. Then you count how much damage he has taken.

holywhippet
2013-10-27, 05:13 PM
But isn't it talking about current HP, not maximum HP? I thought it meant that your current HP can't be reduced to less than 1 HP per hit dice from CON damage.

ryu
2013-10-27, 05:17 PM
But isn't it talking about current HP, not maximum HP? I thought it meant that your current HP can't be reduced to less than 1 HP per hit dice from CON damage.

So what you're saying is that the only reason barbarians die the way they do is because them losing their rage con boost isn't damage or drain, but their con returning to normal? If so wow WOTC you thought out this system SO well.

Jormengand
2013-10-27, 05:18 PM
If so wow WOTC you thought out this system SO well.

Have you READ the Dysfunctional Rules Handbook?

holywhippet
2013-10-27, 05:22 PM
So what you're saying is that the only reason barbarians die the way they do is because them losing their rage con boost isn't damage or drain, but their con returning to normal? If so wow WOTC you thought out this system SO well.

It does make sense sort of. When they rage they are pushing their body past it's normal limits like taking a massive shot of adreneline. When they finally calm down they might have overstressed their body in a way they didn't notice while they were raging.

Captnq
2013-10-27, 05:24 PM
Hello...

Yup. And the sad thing is, you can't even heal it. You don't just lose HP, you lose MAXIMUM HP. So You die die die.

ryu
2013-10-27, 05:38 PM
It does make sense sort of. When they rage they are pushing their body past it's normal limits like taking a massive shot of adreneline. When they finally calm down they might have overstressed their body in a way they didn't notice while they were raging.

No different than the other situation. The body simply has new limits at that point. It's the same principle with a different source.

Kyberwulf
2013-10-27, 05:46 PM
It helps to think of the Damage, as it's own thing. Rather then Lose of hitpoints. If the current amount of Damage you have equals to your HP or higher, then you are dead or dying.