PDA

View Full Version : Epic Campaign, The broken saga begins.

AzureKnight
2013-10-27, 07:59 PM
So some of you may have read my thread a while ago about a level 30 epic campaign I am supposed to play. Well, with my 2 groups I run and other one I play in I am having character creation block.

I am allowed the following and all must be from dnd 3.5 no dragon magazines.

Any 3.5 race as long as source is shown.
Any alignment
All starting ability scores are 18 base
Any class from 3.5 as long as source is shown (I prefer wizards)
Paragon templet allowed at no cost
Any other templet for 3.5 allowed as long as the base character meets requirements.
Gestalts encourages.

No gamebreaking tactics (hard to do at epic and with available sources)

I would greatly appriciate any help. Thanks

Vaz
2013-10-27, 08:08 PM
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 5/Ur-Priest 2/Full Cleric progression 8.

Psion 20/Factotum 8/Monk 2 with Kung Fu Genius.

AzureKnight
2013-10-27, 08:25 PM
what is the ur priest and where can i find it at please?

Captnq
2013-10-27, 08:39 PM
Well. Just look at my Sig for suggested handbooks.
HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050) is a master list of every spellcasting class.
HERE (http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1382631190) it is as an excel speadsheet so you can search and sort to your heart's content.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-27, 08:46 PM
what is the ur priest and where can i find it at please?Complete Divine. Basically cleric-20 packed into a 10 level PrC. If you're going that route, I'd recommend Mystic Theurge for those 8 unspecified levels.

Captnq
2013-10-27, 09:19 PM
Now, having run a campaign from 1st to 30+ (and still going) I have a few observations:

1. You Can Never Get More BAB.

Whatever you got at 20th, you are stuck with. Keep that in mind. For normal play, not so important. For epic play, speed kills.

2. Speed Kills

If you are a spellcaster, you need quickened spells, and Epic Quicked spells so you can cast two and MORE QUICKENED SPELLS. You can never take enough actions in a round. You need to max your Init.

3. Saving throws/AC scores get disgusting

You quickly find yourself in situations where it's:
1. I beat it by 50!
2. I missed by 50.

You need to have a wide selection of alternate forms of attack because you are going to bump into things where even wishing up a natural 20 to hit won't cut it.

4. Hit point damage rules.

I know, Binary nature of save or suck. Trust me, if you can figure out how to hit for 200 points of damage a shot and hit 5 times a round, I don't care what wacky defenses the target has, very few things have 1000 hit points. Oddly enough, at really high play, a Sledgehammer suddenly becomes more effective then the many subtle ways a wizard can solve a problem.

5. Assume you will be stripped naked and have to fight in an alien dimension in an antimagic field.

Because I keep doing this to my players. They're experts at it now. They don't even blink. "Oh, stripped of all our magic and reduced to 2 dimensions... AGAIN."

You need to bulk up on back up plans that aren't dependent on magic. You need abilities that have that (ex) next to them. talk to your DM. Ask if artifacts work in an antimagic field. If so, how much does it cost to get an artifact? I just double the cost of the base item, myself.

6. Assume you will be peppered with MDJ and GDM like a fat guy with hypertension salts his eggs.

You cannot count on buff spells. They will go up and down faster then your mama's panties (Ooo, SNAP!) In non-epic play, you could count on buff spells. In epic play, I LOVE walls of greater dispell magic. Permanent magic items only stop working for 1d4 rounds. Buffs don't come back and make you waste valuable time recasting.

7. TEAMWORK. TEAMWORK. TEAMWORK.

If you are a spellcaster, set aside at least HALF your spells for buff spells. I highly recommend maxing out War Weaver. The ability to buff an entire party with 5 buff spells (or more if you use those wierd spells that combine 2 spells together to cast as one.) in one move action is just WAY too useful. Especially since chances are you won't get more then a move action to do ANYTHING once combat starts.

8. Combine your Equipment

Non-standard body slot. You got the WBL, burn it. Got a stat? Buy Multiple +5 Book of stat gains. If your DM will allow, buy a book of +5 BAB, Initative, Skills, Feats, Saves, Move, ANYTHING. Inherent Bonuses work in antimagic zones and cannot be taken away. Put everything in your robe or in your helmet that is strapped to your head, or your goggles, your gloves, your bracers, your boots, whatever can't easily be stripped off you. Combine magic items heedless of the cost because the less magic items you have, the less you have to protect.

EVERYTHING is made out of AURORUM. Why? Because when your DM sunders everything you own, you can just slam it back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

9. Go check out the list of conditions.

You must become immune to the conditions of blindness, confusion, cowering, dazed, dazzled, deafness, exhaustion, fascination, fatigue, fear, feeblemind, frightened, insanity, nausea, panic, paralyzation, petrifaction, shaken, sickened, staggered, and stunning.

Also immune to all non lethal damage, critical hits (including sneak attacks), death, massive damage, death spells and negative, Positive, fire, cold, electrical, acid, sonic, energy attacks. Oh, don't forget, Dehydration, evil, force, and vile damage.

if... IF you do ALL that... you MIGHT have a chance.

This is sort of the baseline you need to hope to survive a few rounds in my game.

Phelix-Mu
2013-10-28, 07:35 PM
Int-based Monk2/Wiz1/Swordsage8/AbjChamp5/ShadowSunNinja1/LegacyChamp X/.....//Warblade

You'd need to Carmendine Monk, with no Drag Magz for Kung-Fu Genius. The idea here is to get arcane casting and maneuvers on a build that has a decent skill list and huge AC. If your DM let's you Legacy Champion off of Abjurant Champion, then the benefits are substantial. Use with greater luminous armour on a good-aligned character, get Int and Wis to AC (depending on DM reading), take that Paragon Template, rock hard with a grey elf or lesser air genasi and mighty wallop + Arcane Strike.

Actually, with that many levels and gestalt on the table, you pretty much can shoehorn anything into any build. Paragon template for free? I don't know what the DM is planning to throw your way, but you should either be ready to breeze through things, or be very scared (as the guns to take down a party of that caliber will be absolutely enormous).