PDA

View Full Version : Dancer [Class]

ideasmith
2007-01-05, 04:27 PM
Dancer

The ‘feel’ of the monk class does not fit the intended feel of my gameworld. I have therefore designed a class that does fit the feel, while having most of the monk’s special abilities.

Note: This class should not be used in a game which also uses monks.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Money: 5d4
Starting Age: As Wizard
Base Attack Bonus: Average.
Good Saves: Fortitude, Reflex, Will

The Dancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|

+0
|

+2
|

+2
|

+2
|

Bonus Feat, Flurry of Blows,
Unarmed Strike

2nd|

+1
|

+3
|

+3
|

+3
|

Bonus Feat, Evasion

3rd|

+2
|

+3
|

+3
|

+3
|

elude enchantment

4th|

+3
|

+4
|

+4
|

+4
|

Magic Strike, Slow Fall 20 ft.

5th|

+3
|

+4
|

+4
|

+4
|

Dancer's Health

6th|

+4
|

+5
|

+5
|

+5
|

Bonus Feat, Slow Fall 30 ft.

7th|

+5
|

+5
|

+5
|

+5
|

The Show Must Go On

8th|

+6/+1
|

+6
|

+6
|

+6
|

Slow Fall 40 ft.

9th|

+6/+1
|

+6
|

+6
|

+6
|

Improved Evasion

10th|

+7/+2
|

+7
|

+7
|

+7
|

Silver Strike, Slow Fall 50 ft.

11th|

+8/+3
|

+7
|

+7
|

+7
|

Sweat it Out, Greater Flurry

12th|

+9/+4
|

+8
|

+8
|

+8
|

Elude Distance, Slow Fall 60 ft.

13th|

+9/+4
|

+8
|

+8
|

+8
|

Elude Magic

14th|

+10/+5
|

+9
|

+9
|

+9
|

Slow Fall 70 ft.

15th|

+11/+6/+1
|

+9
|

+9
|

+9
|

Kiss of Death

16th|

+12/+7/+2
|

+10
|

+10
|

+10
|

Adamantium Strike, Slow Fall 80 ft.

17th|

+12/+7/+2
|

+10
|

+10
|

+10
|

Timeless Body, Body Language

18th|

+13/+8/+3
|

+11
|

+11
|

+11
|

Slow Fall 90 ft.

19th|

+14/+9/+4
|

+11
|

+11
|

+11
|

Elude Matter

20th|

+15/10/+5
|

+12
|

+12
|

+12
|

Unearthly, Slow Fall Any Distance
[/table]

Class skills: The dancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nobility & royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex),

Skill Points at first level: (4 + Int modifier) * 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the dancer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dancers are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, dancer’s dart, dancer’s knife, handaxe, javelin, quarterstaff, and sling. Dancers are not proficient with any armor or shields.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the dancer adds er Wisdom bonus (if any) to er Armor Class. In addition, a dancer gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five dancer levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level). These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the dancer is flat footed. E loses these bonuses when e is immobilized or helpless, when e wears any armor, when e carries a shield, or when e carries a medium or heavy load.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a dancer may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, e may make one extra attack in a round at er highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for one round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the dancer might make before er next action. When a dancer reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to –1, and at 9th level it disappears. A dancer must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a dancer may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special dancer weapons (dancer’s dart, dancer’s knife, and quarterstaff). E may attack with unarmed strikes or with special dancer weapons interchangeable as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a dancer applies er Strength bonus (not Str bonus * 1-1/2 or * 1/2) to er damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether e wields a weapon in one or both hands. The dancer cannot use any weapon other than a special dancer weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a dancer may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that e has enough attacks in er flurry of blows routine to do so.

When a dancer reaches 11th level, er flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack, e gets a second extra attack at er full base attack bonus.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a dancer gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A dancer’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeable of even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a dancer may even make unarmed attacks with er hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a dancer striking unarmed. A dancer may thus apply er full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all er unarmed strikes.

Usually a dancer’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but e can choose to deal non-lethal damage instead with no penalty on er attack roll. E has the same choice to deal lethal or non-lethal damage when grappling. A dancer’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purposes of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A dancer also deals more damage with er unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on the table below.

Dancer Unarmed Damage Table:

Level;;;Small Dancer;;;Medium Dancer;;;Large Dancer

1st-3rd;;;1d4;;;1d6;;;1d8
4th-7th;;;1d6;;;1d8;;;2d6
8th-11th;;;1d8;;;1d10;;;2d8
12th-15th;;;1d10;;;2d6;;;3d6
16th-19th;;;2d6;;;2d8;;3d8
20th;;;2d8;;;2d10;;;4d8

Fascinating Dance (Sp): Once per day per dancer level, a dancer can use cause one or more creatures to become fascinated with er. Each creature to be fascinated must be within 90 feet, able to see the dancer, and able to pay attention to er. The dancer must also be able to see the creature. The distraction of nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. For every three levels a dancer attains beyond 1st, e can target one additional creature with a single use of this ability.

Starting a fascinate effect is a standard action. A dancer cannot use fascinate when e is immobilized or helpless, when e wears any armor, when e carries a shield, or when e carries a medium or heavy load.

To use the ability, a dancer makes a Perform (dance) check. Er check result is the DC for each affected creature’s Will save against the effect. If a creature’s saving throw succeeds, the dancer cannot attempt to fascinate that creature again for 24 hours. If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and watches the dance, taking no other actions, for as long as the dancer continues to dance and concentrate (up to a maximum of 1 round per dancer level). While fascinated, a target takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any potential threat requires the dancer to make another Perform check and allows the creature a new saving throw against a DC equal to the new Perform check result.

Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. Fascinating dance is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a dancer may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, e may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, e may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A dancer need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a dancer makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, e instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a dancer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless dancer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a dancer gains en enhancement bonus to er speed as shown on the table below. A dancer in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Level;;;Unarmored Speed Bonus

1st-2nd;;;+0 ft.
3rd-5th;;;+10 ft.
6th-8th;;;+20 ft.
9th-11th;;;+30 ft.
12th-14th;;;+40 ft.
15th-17th;;;+50 ft.
18th-20th;;;+60 ft.

Elude Enchantment (Ex): A dancer of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Magic Strike (Su): At 4th level, a dancer’s unarmed attacks are empowered. Er unarmed strikes are treated as magic weapons for purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Slow Fall (Ex): At 4th level or higher, a dancer within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow down er descent. When first using this ability, e takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The dancer’s ability to slow er fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with er dancer level until at 20th level e can use a nearby wall to slow er descent and fall any distance without harm.

Dancer’s Health (Ex): at fifth level, a dancer gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

The Show Must Go On (Su): At 7th level or higher, a dancer can heal er own wounds. E can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to twice er current dancer level each day, and e can spread this healing out among several uses.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a dancer’s evasion ability improves. E still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth e takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless dancer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Silver Strike (Su): At 10th level, a dancer’s unarmed strikes are treated as silver and magic weapons for purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Sweat It Out (Su): At 11th level, a dancer gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Elude Distance (Su): At 12th level or higher, a dancer can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Er caster level for this effect is one-half er dancer level (rounded down).

Elude Magic (Ex): At 13th level, a dancer gains spell resistance equal to er current dancer level + 10. In order to affect the dancer with a spell, the spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the dancer’s spell resistance.

Kiss of Death (Su): Starting at 15th level, a dancer can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the dancer so desires. E can use this Kiss of Death attack once a week, and e must announce er intent before making er attack roll. Constructs, oozes, plant, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the dancer strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds.

Thereafter the dancer can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is within a number of days equal to the dancer’s level. To make such an attempt, the dancer merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the dancer’s level + the dancer’s Wis modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but another one at a later time may still affect it.

Adamantine Strike (Su): At 16th level, a dancer’s unarmed strikes are treated as adamantine and silver and magic weapons for purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a dancer no longer takes penalties to er ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that e has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the dancer still dies of old age when er time is up.

Body Language (Ex): A dancer of 17th level or higher can speak with any living creature.

Elude Matter (Su): At 19th level, a dancer gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 round per dancer level per day, as though using the spell etherealness. E may go ethereal on a number of different occasions during any single day, as long as the total number of rounds spent in an ethereal state does not exceed er dancer level.

Unearthly: At 20th level, a dancer becomes a magical creature. E is forevermore treated as a fey rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the dancer’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the dancer gains damager reduction 10/cold iron, which allows er to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a weapon not made of cold iron or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction.

Ex-Dancers

There are no special rules for ex-dancers. Dancer’s may be of any alignment and use the normal rules for multiclassing.

Change Log

1/26/07 replaced special abilities table (thank you Eighth Seraph){I won't replacing the other tables until I get the first one in right).

XtheYeti
2007-01-05, 05:34 PM
so this seems to be the monk class only without the whole wisdom thing going on... and with so dance that charms people...ok. I would use this for flavor but monks are better...but then again monks are broken

Khantalas
2007-01-05, 06:19 PM
Uh, can I be the first to laugh out loud at the "monks are broken" statement?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-05, 06:56 PM
No, I want to! Monks are severely underpowered. As I found out after being own 3 encounters in a row.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-05, 07:30 PM
I don't really understand why they get some of those things, but I guess it must fit in to your world.

ideasmith
2007-01-07, 04:58 PM
so this seems to be the monk class only without the whole wisdom thing going on... and with so dance that charms people...ok. I would use this for flavor but monks are better...but then again monks are broken

Dancer's use Wisdom for the same things that monks do. I was leaving the crunch as similar as possible.

I don't really understand why they get some of those things, but I guess it must fit in to your world.

Which "things"? The explanation is probably 'want to keep monk crunch'. However, since I don't know what your are talking about, I can't be sure.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-07, 06:17 PM
Silver Strike, Kiss of Death, Sweat it Out, for example.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-07, 06:41 PM
Uh, can I be the first to laugh out loud at the "monks are broken" statement?
No, I want to! Monks are severely underpowered. As I found out after being own 3 encounters in a row.
Without turning this into another battleground for this topic, I'd like to say that for those that sweat it out as a monk until the mid-high levels, monks can indeed be severely broken with proper character building. Greater flurry + stunning fist + Improved Trip + Ki strike (adamantine) + Improved Sunder= alot of possibilities in melee combat. Add Diamond soul into the mix and see if you get luck against some spells as well.

As for the Dancer, Ideasmith, I think you did quite well in adapting the flavor while keeping it a balanced class. The one thing that bothered me severely is the unorthodox tables and the the use of 'er' instead of 'her' and 'e' instead of 'she'.

[/nitpick]

If you want, I could make a table for the dancer like the ones in the SRD.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-07, 07:53 PM
It feels like an odd mix of the Bard and Monk Classes....

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-07, 08:01 PM
That's what it feels like to me too. A well done one, though that doesn't degrade either class. Well, anymore than they already are.

ideasmith
2007-01-10, 06:20 PM
Silver Strike, Kiss of Death, Sweat it Out, for example.

Those are all due to my wanting Dancer abilities to resemble Monk abilities. The hope is that players who want the abilities rather than the feel can get them. Or at least very close.

The one thing that bothered me severely is the unorthodox tables and the the use of 'er' instead of 'her' and 'e' instead of 'she'.

[/nitpick]

If you want, I could make a table for the dancer like the ones in the SRD.

Thank you. I would appreciate help with the table. I havent been able to make tables work here lately, even by cutting and pasting working tables.

It feels like an odd mix of the Bard and Monk Classes....

That is more-or-less the feel I was trying for.

ideasmith
2007-01-10, 06:26 PM
That's what it feels like to me too. A well done one, though that doesn't degrade either class. Well, anymore than they already are.

If I were sure that the Dancer and Monk classes worked in the same campaign, I could drop that warning note.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 07:02 PM
Those are all due to my wanting Dancer abilities to resemble Monk abilities. The hope is that players who want the abilities rather than the feel can get them. Or at least very close.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I suppose it works, especially if your players are happy.

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-10, 07:37 PM
Does the dancer have to be a girl? You used er, which could mean her, or something.

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-10, 07:44 PM
Does the dancer have to be a girl? You used er, which could mean her, or something.

You'll note that in the PHB in all instances depending on the sample character they give they will always use a gender-specific noun when refering to a class. For example, Jozan is male so clerics are refered to as male. Mialee is female so Wizards are refered to as female.

It might not be always, actually, but I think that's how they do it.

Personally, I'd switch Wisdom to AC for Charisma to AC.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 07:44 PM
...What's an "Average" BAB?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 07:47 PM

I'd assume 3/4 progression, as per Monk.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-10, 08:17 PM
Hmm... you took out a couple powers, added some "dance" powers, and changed a lot of others powers (with still the same power). Would be easier to just make Level replacements (I dont remember the proper term), thoug the alignment would cause trouble.
I just keep trying to imagine a person in dancing garb throwing flurries of blows and being immune to diseases and poison...

ideasmith
2007-01-11, 08:33 PM

Dancers can be either male or female. They have the same starting age (and starting money) as monks.

Personally, I'd switch Wisdom to AC for Charisma to AC.

I have been considering that. At least for now I am keeping it as per monks.

The same BAB that monks use, as stated by mikeejimbo.

Hmm... you took out a couple powers, added some "dance" powers, and changed a lot of others powers (with still the same power). Would be easier to just make Level replacements (I dont remember the proper term), thoug the alignment would cause trouble.
I just keep trying to imagine a person in dancing garb throwing flurries of blows and being immune to diseases and poison...

If I was allowing monks and didn't want to change the feel of the class (and therefore the names of most of the abilities), level substitutions might be a great idea.

Stormthorn
2007-01-21, 10:17 PM
I was wondering, Are those E's and Er's are supposed to be Spivak or some other gender-neutral pronoun?

Mewtarthio
2007-01-21, 11:19 PM
"Sire, our kingdom is being plagued by werewolves! Already the death toll has topped three hundred, with countless more succumbing to lycanthropy as well!"
"We've only got one hope, lackey: Sound the call, and spread the news far and wide, that the kingdom will be hosting a magnificent ball this weekend! Only the strongest and most powerful dancers will be able to combat this threat! I pray to Hieroneous that it will be enough..."

Magi_Ring_O
2007-01-22, 04:14 PM
"Sire, our kingdom is being plagued by werewolves! Already the death toll has topped three hundred, with countless more succumbing to lycanthropy as well!"
"We've only got one hope, lackey: Sound the call, and spread the news far and wide, that the kingdom will be hosting a magnificent ball this weekend! Only the strongest and most powerful dancers will be able to combat this threat! I pray to Hieroneous that it will be enough..."

Sounds sort of akward...but monks don't fit well either. Same with bards