PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Goblin Urban Barbarian

Kultus
2013-10-28, 09:24 AM
So I'm new to the forum and posting this to get some help. Our game just hit a snag, well a technical TPK where all of our characters except one were knocked out and one actual death. Or GM told us to make up our rescue party using Lvl 7, 25-point build, and 23,500gp.

I've decided to go with making a DEX based Goblin Barbarian and I'm trying to figure out the best build for it.

So far, here is what I've got.

Level 7 Goblin Urban Barbarian/Totem Master

HP: 98

My stats:
STR: 10 (2 pts)
DEX: 22 (13 pts for 17, +1 stat for level 4, and +4 for Racial)
CON: 14 (5 pts)
INT: 12 (2 pts)
WIS: 12 (2 pts)
CHA: 9 (1 pt)

I've also swapped out Skilled from the Racial with Hard Head, Big Teeth to give myself a bite.

Feats and Rage Powers:
1: F: Weapon Finesse
2: RP: Supersticious
3: F: Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Wakizashi
4: RP: Witch Hunter
5: F: Roll with It
6: RP: Lesser Beast Totem or No Escape
7: F: Vital Strike

Magic Items:
Belt of Incredible Dex +2
Snakeskin Tunic (+2 Dex, +1 AC, +2 save vs Poisons)
Cap of Human Guise
Agile Furious Wakizashi

Traits:
Adopted: Gnome Animal Friend

I'm kind of at a loss on Traits, Feats, and Rage Powers: Any suggestions

Spore
2013-10-28, 11:23 AM
I know your Str is not great, but you NEED some as barbarian or you WILL feel the hurt. You lack the levels for a decent crit build, you lack the levels for come and get me, you lack the HP pool for not having a regular rage and you have massive Dex and NOTHING to really do with it. Even my Halfling Cavalier has 14 Str and a +2 Belt, and he isn't quite as Str dependant as Barbarians are.

Do you know what your group will be like? Which spells could you have? Which areas do you need to cover? What can you tell me about your environment? This can be a rare opportunity for a ranger to shine (just make his best favored terrain be the area your group is in, and the favored enemy the BBEG). Or take the opportunity and be a Feral Gnasher.

Kultus
2013-10-28, 11:36 AM
I know your Str is not great, but you NEED some as barbarian or you WILL feel the hurt. You lack the levels for a decent crit build, you lack the levels for come and get me, you lack the HP pool for not having a regular rage and you have massive Dex and NOTHING to really do with it.

Even my Halfling Cavalier has 14 Str and a +2 Belt, and he isn't quite as Str dependant as Barbarians are.

Understandable, however, with the Massive DEX, I do have the Agile Weapon enchant which does allow me to put my Dex into Damage, combine that with Weapon Finesse and I have the benefits of STR in the DEX stat with the added AC and Reflex benefits.

With Weapon Finesse and Agile Enchant, and small size I'm at a +16 to hit and a +8 to damage (pre-Rage) and +18 to hit and +10 to damage when I am raging.

Also, the Urban Barbarian allows me to dump my Rage bonus for Stats into STR, DEX, or CON.

I know that I'll be getting Come and Get Me at Level 8, however, this is the start build. I'm mostly looking for the optimal Rage Powers with what I have available at this time. I also am going to be getting an Amulet of Mighty Fists with the Agile enchant on it as well, which means that my Bite and any other Natural Attacks will be benefiting from my High Dex Modifier.

Spore
2013-10-28, 11:43 AM
Ah, the Agile enchantment. Still, take Power Attack anyhow. Your BAB is impressive and can take a hit. I love Power Attack + Reckless Abandon (+6 damage, -2 AC). Dealing damage and hitting all the time. Combine him with Invulnerable Rager for DR 3/- and Fire Resistance 2.

Goblins deify goblins who conquer the fire. Also DR 3/- is much more impressive in a community of small individuals.

Psyren
2013-10-28, 11:56 AM
You don't need Power Attack - Wakizashis are light, so you can grab Piranha Strike instead. That will let you keep your Strength at 10.

Your #1 priority is finding a way to rage-cycle - this will let you use your 1/rage abilities more than 1/combat. The easiest method is to acquire a Cord of Stubborn Resolve. Until you can afford one, pick up some Lesser Restoration potions as a stopgap.

Ansem
2013-10-28, 02:10 PM
I see no feats that substitute your scores, else you could try using DEX instead of STR for usages where you need STR.

Psyren
2013-10-28, 02:44 PM
I see no feats that substitute your scores, else you could try using DEX instead of STR for usages where you need STR.

He has Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) on his wakizashi as well as Weapon Finesse, that gives him Dex to attack and damage - he won't need any other feats with that. Agile Maneuvers is probably a good idea though.

Spore
2013-10-28, 03:56 PM
He has Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) on his wakizashi as well as Weapon Finesse, that gives him Dex to attack and damage - he won't need any other feats with that. Agile Maneuvers is probably a good idea though.

I really had a writing blockade when I wrote my reply. Agile Maneuvers plus Improved Sunder plus Spell Sunder.

magotter
2013-10-28, 07:39 PM
If you're going with Beast Totem in order to get Pounce, then an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists +0 and the Multiattack feat might be worth considering. I mean, you're going to get two claws and a bite regardless, so why not at least make use of them?
you can still wield your wakizashi and make one claw and one bite as secondary natural attacks. normally you'd get them at BAB-5, but multiattack lets you make them at BAB-2. and of course, Piranha Strike will apply to them as well. It's just that much more Dakka.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-28, 10:54 PM
Since Primary Natural Attacks stay Primary unless otherwise stated in Pathfinder, you don't really need Multiattack, as claws and bites are both Primary. Multiattack only if you get some Secondary Natural Attacks as well, as only then will you be taking penalties.

grarrrg
2013-10-28, 11:51 PM
If you're going with Beast Totem in order to get Pounce, then an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists +0 and the Multiattack feat might be worth considering. I mean, you're going to get two claws and a bite regardless, so why not at least make use of them?

You need 3 permanent natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack.
So unless the DM gives you a handwave you're semi-out of luck there.

Since Primary Natural Attacks stay Primary unless otherwise stated in Pathfinder, you don't really need Multiattack, as claws and bites are both Primary. Multiattack only if you get some Secondary Natural Attacks as well, as only then will you be taking penalties.

He plans on using a Manufactured Weapon, if you use both Manufactured and Natural Weapons then ALL Natural weapons are considered Secondary.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-29, 12:26 AM
You need 3 permanent natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack.
So unless the DM gives you a handwave you're semi-out of luck there.

Two claws and a bite count as three natural attacks, one for the left claw, one for the right claw, and three for the bite.

He plans on using a Manufactured Weapon, if you use both Manufactured and Natural Weapons then ALL Natural weapons are considered Secondary.
OK, yeah, in that case, yes you do.

Spore
2013-10-29, 12:24 PM
Two claws and a bite count as three natural attacks, one for the left claw, one for the right claw, and three for the bite.

The twist is that they are not permanent. The claws vanish after the rage has subsided.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-29, 03:40 PM
The twist is that they are not permanent. The claws vanish after the rage has subsided.
Go two levels of Natural Weapon style Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Combat-Style-Feat-Ex-) then and take Aspect of the Beast for two permanent claw attacks. Those two levels gives you some extra skill points, a favoured enemy, and some improved saves as well.

magotter
2013-10-29, 03:57 PM

Given some of the tricks and builds I've seen for pathfinder already, this actually shouldn't matter. Instead, it just means multiattack only applies while raging. GMs might argue, but its actually worse off for you, since you invested time into a feat that doesn't always apply, netting you a mitigated gain.

Beyond that, the number of races and critters that have 3 natural attacks constantly is woefully small. (Lizardfolk and Tengu are the only "races" with it, and the latter relies on Alternative Racial Traits to do so). Despite appearances, feats aren't made for just one race or creature (though some are made for just one class), and a case can again be made to allow it.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-29, 04:32 PM
Given some of the tricks and builds I've seen for pathfinder already, this actually shouldn't matter. Instead, it just means multiattack only applies while raging. GMs might argue, but its actually worse off for you, since you invested time into a feat that doesn't always apply, netting you a mitigated gain.

Beyond that, the number of races and critters that have 3 natural attacks constantly is woefully small. (Lizardfolk and Tengu are the only "races" with it, and the latter relies on Alternative Racial Traits to do so). Despite appearances, feats aren't made for just one race or creature (though some are made for just one class), and a case can again be made to allow it.
Actually, some feats are meant for one race, as they have that race in their requirements. A human, half elf or half orc with the Racial Heritage feat could take them if they otherwise met the requirements, but otherwise they are meant for that race.

grarrrg
2013-10-29, 05:16 PM

It shouldn't matter, but it's still how it works.
You need 'permanent' things to meet the Pre-Reqs for feats.
Ability score bonuses from Items count as "permanent" if they last more than 24 hours.
This logic has since been applied to non-Ability Score things (Note: this is nt RAW. see also: Synthesist).
Having Claws for 2 minutes a day is nowhere near 'permanent'.

_IF_ you can qualify for a feat, and the later lose a necessary per-requisite, you DO still _have_ the feat, you just lose the _use_ of the feat until you again meet the requirements.
So if you can get Multiattack somehow, then it would 'switch on' while you had the Claws, and 'switch off' when you didn't.

Beyond that, the number of races and critters that have 3 natural attacks constantly is woefully small. (Lizardfolk and Tengu are the only "races" with it, and the latter relies on Alternative Racial Traits to do so)

I want to say there is a third, but I don't have the time to go digging at the moment.