PDA

View Full Version : Turn the other cheek.

silentknight
2007-01-05, 07:51 PM
I have never liked the clunky game mechanics behind Turn Undead. Every other task is resolved by rolling a d20 against a set DC, but not Turn Undead?

I have not started doing this in my own campaign yet, but I think it should be something more like this.......

Cleric attempting to Turn Undead: 1d20 + cleric level + cleric's Wis modifier

.....against.....

Undead target resisting Turn attempt: 10 + undead HD + undead's Wis modifier.

In addition, a cleric could Turn 2 HD + Wis mod number of undead per level.
This would, of course, prompt new feats to increase the number of undead able to be turned.

Whatcha think?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-05, 07:58 PM
It should probably be Charisma modifier on the cleric's turn attempt, to stay true to the original in some way.

silentknight
2007-01-05, 08:03 PM
Whoops! Yeah, of course Charisma modifier.

fireinthedust
2007-01-05, 08:07 PM
yeah. there are a number of powerful Undead otu there who might ahve terrible Wis modifiers.

also, why not make it a saving throw? That's what it would be. like 1d20 + will save... no, that's hard. Still, that's how saving throws work for spells and such.

but wait: I think that's already what's going on. You just don't get all the Undead in range (just your max HD worth). It'd be a bit broken if it were all of them (like a horde of Zombies or vampire spawn) saving individually against your attack (especially when you get some destroyed outright).

Pegasos989
2007-01-05, 08:07 PM
I personally think that while it lets cleric shine even more, having encounter which starts with cleric forcing half the opponents run away or be destroyed with one check is quite dull, so I use the simple complete warrior variant. Cleric deals 1d6/cleric level damage to each undead creature within 30 feet (reistance only works as DR against this). I would highly recommend it.