PDA

View Full Version : Getting Spot as class skill without dipping?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-28, 12:28 PM
Question is in the title, I am thinking on making a Swordsage as backup character (just in case my rogueblade dies, which isn't likely but I'm bored and building martial adepts is always fun). Since I'm planning on a Str/Wis focus, maxing the perception skills is a good choice, I have the SP for it and quite an incentive to pump Wis at least a little. But I forgot that for some idiotic reason SS get listenm but not spot!

Other than straight swordsage 5, nothing is set in stone for my build, I have access to most if not all books, but Psionics aren't allowed (DM isn't familiar with them, though we can take non-[Psionic] feats and stuff from the books, like Stand Still for example), setting specific stuff might be possible, but not likely since we are playing in a custom setting.

thanks in advance.

Vhaidara
2013-10-28, 12:48 PM
my advice would be to ask your DM to look at this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275054

The tweaks are pretty minor for some classes (at least for mid tier classes), but the general mods are solid (add Spot, Listen, and Profession to all class skills in particular). So far both of my current DMs have allowed my groups to use these (warlock, skill points, fighter, hexblade, and possibly bard if i ever bother to ask)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-28, 12:53 PM
While those are some tweaks I do use in my own games, for this I am looking for a RAW answer to my question. This is for a PbP game with a newbie DM (she has done an amazing job!)

Besides I may or not may use this character since it is only I'm doing cause I'm bored, my rogueblade is in no danger to die any soon, but I like to be prepared. We are low enough level that resurrection isn't readily available.

Curmudgeon
2013-10-28, 01:17 PM
I'm afraid you're out of luck. Various feats expand the class skills available to you, but for Spot these are either Sorcerer only or Cleric only. You'll need to dip.

Karnith
2013-10-28, 01:21 PM
There's also the Eberron-specific Aereni Focus feat from Player's Guide to Eberron, but it requires you to be an elf, to be from a specific region (Aerenal, appropriately enough), and can only be taken at first level.

Piggy Knowles
2013-10-28, 01:32 PM
I'm afraid you're out of luck. Various feats expand the class skills available to you, but for Spot these are either Sorcerer only or Cleric only. You'll need to dip.

It's a two feat investment, but Dragontouched can let you count as a sorcerer for the purpose of taking Draconic feats, which will in turn let you take Draconic Heritage to pick up Spot.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-28, 01:41 PM

There's also the Eberron-specific Aereni Focus feat from Player's Guide to Eberron, but it requires you to be an elf, to be from a specific region (Aerenal, appropriately enough), and can only be taken at first level.

It's a two feat investment, but Dragontouched can let you count as a sorcerer for the purpose of taking Draconic feats, which will in turn let you take Draconic Heritage to pick up Spot.

Aereni Focus seems to be my best bet, well thankfully there are tons of elfs subtypes so I don't get saddled with a con penalty. Snow elves were +2 dex -2 cha weren't they?

animewatcha
2013-10-28, 01:46 PM
if you are okay with Spot having the cross class skill rank limit. Can try the Able learner feat or guerilla scout feat.

Vaz
2013-10-28, 01:54 PM
Yes. But bear in mind Aerenal is a Jungle island.

Planar Touchstone : Catalogues of Enlightenment can let you pick up the Sky Domain which adds it to your Cleric Class skills. By RAW you add the skill to your Cleric skills, but as you cannot normally pick up a Domain without Cleric levels, it is worth asking if you can apply it to your own class skills.

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-10-28, 02:22 PM
I'm not certain, but I believe one of the dragonblooded races gets Spot as a permanent skill.

holywhippet
2013-10-28, 03:19 PM
I'm not certain, but I believe one of the dragonblooded races gets Spot as a permanent skill.

That requires a feat from races of the dragon and only works if you have at least one level of sorcerer. This list says the only other option is for clerics: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0

Sgtpepper
2013-10-28, 03:57 PM
Simply ask the DM aside and whilst leaning into his ear whisper: It makes flipping sense for all things to have spot. Then he don't comply zip tie his hands together and crush each of his dice as slowly as you can. If he still doesn't comply the books go next!Muhaha!

Piggy Knowles
2013-10-28, 04:22 PM
That requires a feat from races of the dragon and only works if you have at least one level of sorcerer. This list says the only other option is for clerics: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0

Again, you can take Draconic Heritage if you take the Dragontouched feat first, bypassing the sorcerer-only requirement.

In any case, I assume that Thrice Dead Cat was referring to the actual dragonblood races, who often have automatic class skills as a racial feature - for example, forestlord elves always treat Hide as a class skill, while silverbrow humans always treat Disguise as a class skill. However, I do not believe there is such an option for Spot.