PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric, way to gain non diety travel domain?

Kioras
2013-10-28, 04:16 PM
I have a level 8(Caster level 6) human cleric of Heironeous, and I want to see if there is a way to somehow gain the travel domain, or atleast some of the teleport spells. Our DM has us do a lot of travling by foot and cart, over very very long distances, and I want to cut down on the travel time.

I know that in a 5 caster levels I'll be able to use wind walk, which would help, but would like to see If I could somehow get that domain, per the rules.

Only 2 prestige classes I know of to get it are seeker of the misty isles and soverign speaker and I do not qualify for either of them.

If I can't get the domain, a way to expand the cleric list otherwise would also work.

Thanks in advance.

aeauseth
2013-10-28, 04:49 PM
Once you pick a deity your Domains are pretty much locked in. Some prestige classes give you specific domains, some even give bonus domains. But those bonus domain typically have to be from your Deity's list. I can't think of any way for you to acquire the Travel domain.

So, you have to think a bit out of the box. I suggest you look at the Belt of the Wide earth from the Magic Item Compendium. It is 8,000gp and allows you to spontaneously cast Teleport by sacrificing a 5th level spell slot. Only works twice a day.

The problem here is that you have to be a ninth level caster before you can get a 5th level slot.

Kioras
2013-10-28, 04:58 PM
That has potential to make travel easier.

Wonder if there are similiar items or rules to home brew something similiar but higher level for greater teleport later.

We do not have any int caster other then a level 8 sorc/favored soul who just now is getting level 2/2 spells to go mystic theurge.

holywhippet
2013-10-28, 05:09 PM
According to this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175504 the Windwalker class gives you access to the travel domain spells.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-28, 05:19 PM
I have a level 8(Caster level 6) human cleric of Heironeous, and I want to see if there is a way to somehow gain the travel domain, or atleast some of the teleport spells. Our DM has us do a lot of travling by foot and cart, over very very long distances, and I want to cut down on the travel time.

I know that in a 5 caster levels I'll be able to use wind walk, which would help, but would like to see If I could somehow get that domain, per the rules.

Only 2 prestige classes I know of to get it are seeker of the misty isles and soverign speaker and I do not qualify for either of them.

If I can't get the domain, a way to expand the cleric list otherwise would also work.

Thanks in advance.
There's always Domain Draughts to trade out your domain for a day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-28, 05:23 PM
Seeker of the Misty Isle in CD gives the Travel domain at 1st level, and has a built-in adaptation for a nonelf version.

Equinox
2013-10-28, 05:34 PM
has a built-in adaptation for a nonelf version.This is relevant to my interests. Please elaborate!?

holywhippet
2013-10-28, 05:54 PM
This is relevant to my interests. Please elaborate!?

Adaptation: This prestige class is both race- and deity specific, but you can file off the serial numbers and use it for any group of elite wanderers. The flavor of the class is a romanticized version of the French Foreign Legion—a group composed of people who want to start their lives over, far from everything they know.

It says that in the class description. Might need DM go ahead.

Captnq
2013-10-28, 07:53 PM
Complete list of spellcasting classes and PrCs are available HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050) including the spell lists they cast off of, or spell lists that you get if you take the PrC.

Vaz
2013-10-28, 08:34 PM
You're beginning to get really boring with that. The purpose of a forum is to get people talking. Ironically the one thing you have created ironically removing the need for such discussion and hence your method of delivery.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but others who create handbooks or lists of stuff have at least the decency to explain/talk about stuff that is in it.

___

When you hit 10th level, a Dip in Contemplative nets you a Domain. I cannot remember if it must be your own deities however.

Although there are only a small number of uses, Planar Touchstone can get you the Domain a 3 castings of spells for free from its list (before you need to spend a few weeks downtime renewing them). Combine with Pearls of Power to reuse them more than once.

Kioras
2013-10-28, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Looks like I am stuck solid without a way to grab the domain. My DM is not much for adaptations.

When I double checked contemplative, was alignment and deity only, so looks like the best choice for a cleric teleport is to just buy a Belt of the Wide earth when i get higher level.

Or see if we get an int caster later on.

Any written rules anywhere for divine caster runestaffs?

WhamBamSam
2013-10-28, 10:38 PM
When you hit 10th level, a Dip in Contemplative nets you a Domain. I cannot remember if it must be your own deities however.

Bonus Domain: Upon adopting the contemplative class, and again at 6th level, a character gains access to a bonus domain of her choice. The character can choose any domain made available by her deity or alignment. The character gains the granted power associated with the domain she chooses, and can select the spells in that domain as her daily domain spells.So you might be able to rules lawyer your way out of needing your deity to offer it by RAW, but that's sketchy at best, and RAI is clearly that it has to be a domain offered by your deity.

I don't know of a way for a human Cleric to get Travel Domain without worshiping a deity/ideal offering it, beyond the Seeker of the Misty Isle adaptation that was already mentioned, but dragons (such as Dragonwrought Kobolds) can automatically qualify for Singer of Concordance without worshipping Io, and can get a bonus domain from the list he offers (which includes Travel) at 2nd level. Not terribly helpful for you, but it's something.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-28, 10:45 PM
Extra Spell could arguably get you access to teleport. (It doesn't specify that the spell you learn has to be one normally available to your class, but that sure seems to be RAI). If your DM is lenient, it might work. If he doesn't want you teleporting, it won't fly.

In any case, you're probably not going to be able to cast teleport in any capacity before you can cast 5th level spells. For now, you can ask your partymates to chip in on scrolls for the sorcerer to cast. Later you can work together to buy that belt.

shaikujin
2013-10-28, 10:49 PM
If you are willing to spend or retrain a feat, another way is to get the Planar Touchstone feat.

Tune it to the "Catalogues of Enlightenment". Use that to pick up the domain (grants both domain powers and spells).

Retrain it away once you have better options.

Edit: Whoops, looks like Vaz has already mentioned it.

Kioras
2013-10-28, 11:20 PM
Extra Spell could arguably get you access to teleport. (It doesn't specify that the spell you learn has to be one normally available to your class, but that sure seems to be RAI). If your DM is lenient, it might work. If he doesn't want you teleporting, it won't fly.

In any case, you're probably not going to be able to cast teleport in any capacity before you can cast 5th level spells. For now, you can ask your partymates to chip in on scrolls for the sorcerer to cast. Later you can work together to buy that belt.

There is no issue with affording the the scrolls, everyone is more then willing to chip in for things like this.

The extra spell idea however, might work. It is a feat tax to gain a spell that is possibly out of your normal scope/area of expertise. Although to learn teleport I would need to be a caster level of 11, so 5 more levels. Not much different then arcane disciple. However since it is a spell that uses int, I might need to have the 15 int needed to cast it.

Stux
2013-10-28, 11:36 PM
Heretic of the Faith feat. It lets you change one of your domains to any domain, amongst some other effects.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-28, 11:41 PM
If you can nab an extra domain (say from, Contemplative) then the feat 'Heretic of the Faith' (LEoF) lets you switch one of your domains out for any other, so long as you can fluff it (yes, that's pretty much what the feat says).

The problem being, of course, that it's technically from a(n obscure) Forgotten Realms source and may not be accepted at your (apparently setting neutral/Greyhawk) campaign.

Aliek
2013-10-29, 01:08 AM
The Heretic of the Faith feat from Power of Faerun does this, along with some minor nitpicks(Your faith on your deity is different, so you follow whatever your new doctrine is instead of what it should be.).
Thing is, you have to trade one of your domains, which might not be the best you could do.
Contemplative grants a domain from your deity's selection, so that's a no-go.
Sovereign Speaker requires you to worship the sovereign host...
And Windwalker has patron: Shaundakul
The feat seems to be your best bet, tough if going that route, the Planar Touchstone might be better, since it doesn't cost you a domain.

Hope this helps a bit, even if it's mostly repeated information.

Ruethgar
2013-10-29, 01:23 AM
There is a spell somewhere that lets you temporarily switch your domain. There is also the Customize Domain List feat if you have access to a spell list with the spells on them(chameleon is great at that but the Magical Training feat works too).

Fax Celestis
2013-10-29, 10:01 AM
A one-level dip into Sovereign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron) can nab you the Travel domain. Earlier access than Contemplative, requires Know (Rel) 8 and Worldly Focus (a no-prereq feat from the same book that removes divine focus from cleric spells).

Every level, pick one of the following domains, gain its granted power and gain access to it: Air, Animal, Artifice, Celerity, Chaos, Charm, Commerce, Community, Competition, Creation, Earth, Family, Feast, Fire, Force, Glory, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Liberation, Life, Luck, Magic, Metal, Mind, Oracle, Pact, Plant, Pride, Protection, Retribution, Spell, Strength, Sun, Trade, Travel, War, Warforged, Wealth, Weather.

You do lose two CL (1st and 6th levels), but you also grab some bonus domain slots. It's one of my favorite cleric PrCs.

A relevant guide. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1956981)

Vaz
2013-10-29, 10:38 AM
You however Must worship the Sovereign Host, an Eberron only 'deity'.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-29, 10:46 AM
You however Must worship the Sovereign Host, an Eberron only 'deity'.

The adaptation section discusses using it for a different pantheon.

animewatcha
2013-10-29, 11:11 AM
Next level you gain, you can see if your DM will be okay with you getting cloistered cleric of ideals that 'aren't worshipping your deity per say but go along with the same doctrine' to pick up travel, knowledge, and whatever third domain you want.

Psyren
2013-10-29, 11:38 AM
You could really pig out and then dip cleric :smallwink:

Kioras
2013-10-29, 11:50 AM
A one-level dip into Sovereign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron) can nab you the Travel domain. Earlier access than Contemplative, requires Know (Rel) 8 and Worldly Focus (a no-prereq feat from the same book that removes divine focus from cleric spells).

Every level, pick one of the following domains, gain its granted power and gain access to it: Air, Animal, Artifice, Celerity, Chaos, Charm, Commerce, Community, Competition, Creation, Earth, Family, Feast, Fire, Force, Glory, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Liberation, Life, Luck, Magic, Metal, Mind, Oracle, Pact, Plant, Pride, Protection, Retribution, Spell, Strength, Sun, Trade, Travel, War, Warforged, Wealth, Weather.

You do lose two CL (1st and 6th levels), but you also grab some bonus domain slots. It's one of my favorite cleric PrCs.

A relevant guide. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1956981)

Oh yeah, the soveriegn speaker class is great, just it doesn't match up to my RP, which as I failed to mention is not only a cleric of heironeous but an Ordained champion, so it isn't like I am giving equal prayer to the other gods of light/goodness and neutrality of the home brew setting.

The ideas are great, but most of them I doubt I could work out with the DM on allowing them other then using extra spell, which he did clear.

Vertharrad
2013-10-29, 02:47 PM
What about the Domain Draughts? In that case your actually having to use a resource to get your versatility(gold and the time to find out where to get one).