PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed.

Teflonknight
2013-10-28, 08:35 PM
Quick setup:
This is a one player, one GM game. The character is a female human ranger played by my wife. Upon returning to her village she discovered that her family had be arrested for past "crimes" committed by her uncle. With the help of the villagers she was able to free her family. The result was the entire village had to flee. They headed for the mountains to start anew. They were given permission to settle by the Orcs and Dwarves who inhabit the mountains.

Unfortunately the Orcs and Dwarves are at an impasse with a large tribe of Goblins. The goblins fear that the influx of humans will tip the scale, so they want to stop the humans.

The goblin warrens are in an abandoned archmages mountain fortress.

So here is the issue, Shay , the ranger, knows she needs to deal with the goblins, but is feeling overwhelmed and doesn't know what to do. So she has gone to talk to her Uncle to get ideas. So what I need are a few ideas for her Uncle, who is also a ranger, to suggest in dealing with the Goblins.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-10-28, 09:01 PM
Depending on how unified the goblin tribe truly is, it could be something as simple as to convince the chieftain to seek peace. Alternatively, a large fraction of the goblins are uninterested in the fighting, but because it's an unsafe notion to discuss in public and to some degree private, it hasn't developed into more than a few small factions, if that. The uncle knows the leader of one of the bigger of these factions, and could set up a meeting to see if enough support for peace can be gathered.

The uncle knows that the conflict came about because the goblins lost a sacred artifact, and have subsequently blamed the orcs/dwarves. Whether this is true or not, the uncle has got information about it's whereabouts and sends her on a quest to retrieve it, so that the goblins may be appeased.

TeddyKazooie
2013-10-28, 09:27 PM
I would agree with Arcane_Snowman. It's a rather sound idea.

My first thought, though, was to get your wife's character introduced to a wider cast of supporting characters. Unless, of course, you have a diverse set in terms of the villagers. Something as simple as seeking a wizard who can seal the entrance to the Warrens with magic while the PC (and possibly some villagers) defend him/her.

Or perhaps, in the same vein as Arcane_Snowman perhaps one of the Goblin 'diplomats' or 'chieftains' ends up in a fight against a neutral foe (like wolves or a giant). The PC helps that representative and they in turn offer to have his/her fellows stand down if the other races help in squelching an opposing force of goblins in their society. IE, a rebellious lot or perhaps the group responsible for most of the conflict.

There is some room whichever direction you go for hard moral dilemmas, but Arcane_Snowman's response is the most likely to have a morally positive outcome.

Deaxsa
2013-10-29, 09:47 AM
In my campaign we just had a fight where I gave the party access to very many traps, and then sent them to prepare for a day until, at the end of the day, they ambushed a group of enemies WAY above their CR. Just a thought.

Dawgmoah
2013-10-29, 08:47 PM
Quick setup:

So here is the issue, Shay , the ranger, knows she needs to deal with the goblins, but is feeling overwhelmed and doesn't know what to do. So she has gone to talk to her Uncle to get ideas. So what I need are a few ideas for her Uncle, who is also a ranger, to suggest in dealing with the Goblins.

1: Offer to assist the goblins against whatever is bothering the goblins, maybe hobgoblins, gnolls, ogres, etc, are raiding them for slaves and the humans could assist.

2: Offer to "share the wealth" of what the humans know with the goblins. If they are living in warrens: do they farm? Do they even care about vegetables and things? A human village can provide things they cannot provide for themselves.

3: Act as "go-betweens" to either: a) moderate a peace with the Dwarves and Orcs, or with others to trade with who would not usually trade with the goblins.