PDA

View Full Version : nictitating membrane and smoke

awa
2013-10-28, 09:30 PM
in an upcoming home brew game the party is going to be in a burning building one of the players has a nictitating membrane. I have decided that smoke will dazzle or possible blind with failed saves for a rnd or so after being in smoke, i'm trying to decide if the membrane would protect the player and if so to what degree.

mucat
2013-10-28, 10:13 PM
I would let the membrane protect the character's eyes (though the smoke would still limit visibility if it's thick enough.) Never hurts to place a bit of spotlight on a detail that makes a character unique.

Mr Beer
2013-10-29, 03:53 AM
I would let the membrane protect the character's eyes (though the smoke would still limit visibility if it's thick enough.) Never hurts to place a bit of spotlight on a detail that makes a character unique.

This, kind of lame if it doesn't help against smoke.

Broken Twin
2013-10-29, 06:52 AM
If the characters are being dazzled via irritation to their eyes, the membrane should protect them. That's it's purpose, after all.

If they're being dazzled due to smoke inhalation, then the PC is out of luck.

Personally, I'd have the smoke provide cover, and causing anyone who stays in the smoke for longer then one round to start taking nonlethal damage from inhalation. Give the person with the membranes a smaller sight penalty for not needing to squint.

If you're running GURPS, fatigue damage. If you're running d20, nonlethal damage. If something else... depends on the system.