PDA

View Full Version : Readied actions and attacks of opportunity

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 09:47 PM
Basic 3.5 RAW:

PC A readies a movement action triggered "whenever an enemy character does something within PC A's movement range that would trigger an attack of opportunity if PC A were adjacent to that enemy."

-- Before his next turn, an enemy moves through PC A's movement range. PC A moves adjacent to that enemy while it is moving;

or, alternatively,

-- Before PC A's next turn, an enemy caster within his movement range begins casting (not defensively), and PC A uses the movement to move adjacent to him;

Does PC A get an attack of opportunity against the moving enemy under these circumstances?

Silvanoshei
2013-10-28, 10:01 PM
Basic 3.5 RAW:

PC A readies a movement action triggered "whenever an enemy character does something within PC A's movement range that would trigger an attack of opportunity if PC A were adjacent to that enemy."

-- Before his next turn, an enemy moves through PC A's movement range. PC A moves adjacent to that enemy while it is moving;

or, alternatively,

-- Before PC A's next turn, an enemy caster within his movement range begins casting (not defensively), and PC A uses the movement to move adjacent to him;

Does PC A get an attack of opportunity against the moving enemy under these circumstances?

To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

Does the bold answer your question?

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 10:10 PM
No. I know how I interpret it, not sure how others do.

Silvanoshei
2013-10-28, 10:12 PM
No. I know how I interpret it, not sure how others do.

It means even though you get run up to a spellcaster BEFORE he casts it, does not mean the spellcaster HAS to cast that spell. You're turn goes BEFORE his action that "would" cause a AoO.

If he casts the spell after your turn, and decides not to move, then yes, you would get AoO.

Pickford
2013-10-28, 10:17 PM
Basic 3.5 RAW:

or, alternatively,

I think you need to be much more specific in terms of the triggering condition: e.g. I ready a move action if he attempts to get within striking distance of me. (i.e. if he steps into an adjacent square, you move first, so that your move does not trigger an attack of opportunity)

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 10:28 PM
It means even though you get run up to a spellcaster BEFORE he casts it, does not mean the spellcaster HAS to cast that spell. You're turn goes BEFORE his action that "would" cause a AoO.

If he casts the spell after your turn, and decides not to move, then yes, you would get AoO.

Oh? Lets make it more specific.

A is an archer. B is a melee fighter. C is a spellcaster standing 20 feet equidistant from both A and B.
A readies an attack action to fire an arrow at C if C starts casting a spell.
B readies a move action to move right next to C if C starts casting a spell.
C starts casting a spell.

What happens?

tyckspoon
2013-10-28, 10:35 PM
Oh? Lets make it more specific.

A is an archer. B is a melee fighter. C is a spellcaster standing 20 feet equidistant from both A and B.
A readies an attack action to fire an arrow at C if C starts casting a spell.
B readies a move action to move right next to C if C starts casting a spell.
C starts casting a spell.

What happens?

A fires his arrow at C. B moves up next to C. Both of these actions pre-empt C's spellcasting, thanks to the timing statement on readied actions.

However: C has NOT actually started casting his spell, and he is not locked into that action. A's arrow will not force a Concentration check on C and B does not get an Attack of Opportunity. C can choose to Withdraw away from B, hit him with a weapon, 5-foot Step away and cast anyway, or any of the other actions he could normally choose.

(If you want to interrupt spellcasting with readied actions, then by RAW application you need to be very careful and precise about what you make your trigger.)

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 10:41 PM
D is an archer. E is a melee fighter. Both D and E have 20' move. F is an enemy melee fighter with a move of 30' currently 59' away from both D and E, who are standing next to each other.
D readies an attack action to fire an arrow at F if F moves out of any square within 20' of D.
E readies a movement action to move adjacent to F if F moves out of any square within 20' of E.
F announces that he is charging D.
What happens?

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 10:47 PM
(If you want to interrupt spellcasting with readied actions, then by RAW application you need to be very careful and precise about what you make your trigger.)

According to you, what triggering language *would* allow Archer A to interrupt Caster C with his attack?

If Melee B used that same trigger language to trigger a move next to C, would he then get an AoO?

Deophaun
2013-10-28, 10:48 PM
Specifically, you want the trigger to be the spell coming into effect.

Now, to answer the next logical question. Let's say you adjust your fighter's action to be "I ready an action to move next to the spell caster before any of his spells comes into effect." Does the fighter get an AoO afterwards? No, because the spell caster only provokes when he begins to cast the spell, which happened before the trigger for the fighter's readied action.

Epiphanis
2013-10-28, 11:06 PM
Specifically, you want the trigger to be the spell coming into effect.

Now, to answer the next logical question. Let's say you adjust your fighter's action to be "I ready an action to move next to the spell caster before any of his spells comes into effect." Does the fighter get an AoO afterwards? No, because the spell caster only provokes when he begins to cast the spell, which happened before the trigger for the fighter's readied action.

"The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action"

If you make the trigger action the spell "coming into effect", is it still part of the caster's activities?