PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Tiny Armor

bekeleven
2013-10-28, 10:27 PM
Under "Armor for Unusual Creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)" The SRD states that tiny armor divides armor bonus by 2. For instance, a chain shirt (+4) or breastplate (+5) now give +2.

My question is, does this include the armor's enhancement bonus, which isn't part of the "armor bonus" of the piece of equipment as specified, but gets applied as part of an armor bonus to the wearer?

For instance, would +1 Chain Shirt have an armor bonus of 2 or 3?

Erik Vale
2013-10-28, 10:32 PM
It is enchantment not armor, so I would say it's unaffected.
Bracers of armor are useless though, as they grant armor bonus.

TuggyNE
2013-10-28, 11:02 PM
Under "Armor for Unusual Creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)" The SRD states that tiny armor divides armor bonus by 2. For instance, a chain shirt (+4) or breastplate (+5) now give +2.

My question is, does this include the armor's enhancement bonus, which isn't part of the "armor bonus" of the piece of equipment as specified, but gets applied as part of an armor bonus to the wearer?

Not entirely clear from RAW, but intent seems to be that they only meant the original armor bonus (and enhancement bonuses only "effectively" increase armor bonuses, so there's that).

Bracers of armor are useless though, as they grant armor bonus.

Bracers of armor are wondrous items, not physical armor, and work entirely differently, so they wouldn't be a problem (any more than mage armor or shield would give a +2 bonus suddenly).

Yogibear41
2013-10-28, 11:23 PM
I asked this same question awhile back, and the answer I got was basically that it is unclear as Tuggyne already said, I would throw my support behind only the base armor and leaving the enh bonus unaffected, so a tiny +1 chain shirt would be +3.

Erik Vale
2013-10-28, 11:26 PM
Not entirely clear from RAW, but intent seems to be that they only meant the original armor bonus (and enhancement bonuses only "effectively" increase armor bonuses, so there's that).

Bracers of armor are wondrous items, not physical armor, and work entirely differently, so they wouldn't be a problem (any more than mage armor or shield would give a +2 bonus suddenly).

So, they grant a armor bonus? Technically they're affected, however I agree that I would rule otherwise for most due to sillyness. However, Mage armor is most definitely affected because it creates you a suit of armor out of force. Tiny mages can't have all good sides.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-28, 11:29 PM
So, they grant a armor bonus? Technically they're affected, however I agree that I would rule otherwise for most due to sillyness. However, Mage armor is most definitely affected because it creates you a suit of armor out of force. Tiny mages can't have all good sides.

They aren't armor, however, and thus don't fall under the rules for armor.

Yogibear41
2013-10-29, 12:14 AM
A tiny person using mage armor most definitely still gets the entire +4 bonus from the spell.( or +6 if using the greater version) Same goes for things like the VOP armor buff.

TuggyNE
2013-10-29, 12:26 AM

The bracers and spells grant an armor bonus, yes, but the rule is not tied to armor bonuses, nor yet shield bonuses. It's tied to physical armor (which includes physical shields). Bracers of armor are not, physically, armor at all, and are thus unaffected by the rule.