PDA

View Full Version : how do all the "small/tiny feats " stack up?

CyberThread
2013-10-28, 10:37 PM
How do all the feats taht deal with being small or tiny, work as far as combat goes, I see it for pixies and halfing and such.

Curmudgeon
2013-10-28, 11:39 PM
By themselves they're not all that great. Underfoot Combat lets you stay inside the space of an enemy at least 2 sizes larger than you. Confound the Big Folk requires you to have already been in an enemy's space for a round before it does anything.

The way to make these useful is if you've got a way (maybe Hide in Plain Sight; maybe Greater Invisibility) to be visually undetectable while in that larger enemy's space. You'll be able to pick any one of the 4 squares of a Large creature's space, or 9 squares of a Huge creature's space. So any attacks against you would need to be random shots into one of those squares. You've got a 3/4 miss chance in a Large creature's space, and 8/9 in a Huge creature's space — and that's before the 50% miss chance if they guess the right square. So the chance of the larger enemy getting hit when someone attempts to hit you is quite good, while the chance of you getting hit is very low.

You can make these feats work, but (as they say) some assembly is required.

Occasional Sage
2013-10-29, 07:17 AM
By themselves they're not all that great. Underfoot Combat lets you stay inside the space of an enemy at least 2 sizes larger than you. Confound the Big Folk requires you to have already been in an enemy's space for a round before it does anything.

The way to make these useful is if you've got a way (maybe Hide in Plain Sight; maybe Greater Invisibility) to be visually undetectable while in that larger enemy's space. You'll be able to pick any one of the 4 squares of a Large creature's space, or 9 squares of a Huge creature's space. So any attacks against you would need to be random shots into one of those squares. You've got a 3/4 miss chance in a Large creature's space, and 8/9 in a Huge creature's space — and that's before the 50% miss chance if they guess the right square. So the chance of the larger enemy getting hit when someone attempts to hit you is quite good, while the chance of you getting hit is very low.

You can make these feats work, but (as they say) some assembly is required.

Where do you find Confound the Big Folks? I've never seen that and the SRD draws a blank too. Underfoot Combat is new to me too, though I've seen Underfoot (a combat feat) which does a totally different thing.

CyberDrag, have a look at the Halfling Opportunist PrC; iff you have a DM who thinks melee Should Be Cool it can do some awesome things!

hamishspence
2013-10-29, 07:53 AM
I think it's in one of the Forgotten Realms books.

Chronos
2013-10-29, 08:36 AM
Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat are both from Races of the Wild (with the idea being that they'd be taken by halflings). There's also Low Blow, from Races of Faerun, and Pebble Underfoot, from Dragon #279, which might also be of interest.