PDA

View Full Version : Weapons for things without hands?

Yogibear41
2013-10-29, 12:26 AM
Are their any weapons, be they exotic/martial/simple that allow something that normally doesn't have hands to wield a weapon and thereby get additional attacks from a high bab? Say something quadrupedal that normally just bites, but could probably make claw attacks even though it doesn't have claw attacks listed? I'm thinking something along the lines of claws or something attached to its limbs that allow it to slash or thrust but that wouldn't upset its ability to walk. Is their any rule preventing just giving anything the improved unarmed strike feat and just going from there?

tyckspoon
2013-10-29, 12:28 AM
There's the Mouthpick weapon property in Lords of Madness (+1 equivalent, replaces a Bite attack with BAB iteratives using the Mouthpick weapon) and as you noted you can put Improved Unarmed Strike on just about anything. There's probably a tailblade or 2 scattered around as well, but I don't know if there's one that gives iteratives instead of just adding extra damage to a Tail Slap attack.

Irk
2013-10-29, 12:31 AM
helmet widda spike onit

Yogibear41
2013-10-29, 12:37 AM
Hmmm, I'm guessing the creature has to keep its mouth closed to hold onto this weapon? or does it magically enchance the creatures jaws? One particular creature I am looking at has a tongue attack that does some fun things and I can't exactly use that if its mouth is closed lol.

Juntao112
2013-10-29, 12:41 AM
Armor spikes

Sir Chuckles
2013-10-29, 12:49 AM
Hmmm, I'm guessing the creature has to keep its mouth closed to hold onto this weapon? or does it magically enchance the creatures jaws? One particular creature I am looking at has a tongue attack that does some fun things and I can't exactly use that if its mouth is closed lol.

It forms into the user's mouth. It's introduced under the Beholder section, appropriately.

What you could do is try to use the tongue as a prehensile hand, but that would probably restrict the effect of said tongue.
Otherwise, you're stuck with Dancing weapons and things with ludicrous amounts of spikes on them.

...I just had the image of a Beholder wearing a skirt made of spiked chains pop into my head.

Averis Vol
2013-10-29, 12:59 AM
Braidblades; allowing you to whip your hair back and forth with deadly force since 2010*

(* I have no idea what year the braidblade came out.)

Ruethgar
2013-10-29, 01:21 AM
Mongoose Publishing Quintessential Kobold has some animal weapons and tail weapons. The prices on the wing gliders may need adjustment, but other than that most of the equipment looks reasonable.

Jeff the Green
2013-10-29, 02:39 AM
Armor spikes.

Feytalist
2013-10-29, 04:36 AM
Spiked helmets and hornet helmets from Races of Faerun (I think). Both do negligible damage (with a bonus on charge, x2 I think), but it's something at least.

Kennisiou
2013-10-29, 04:43 AM
Oriental Adventures has Nezumi Tail Spikes. That's the only first-party tail weapon I know about, probably adaptable to whatever you want. You may also want to check Savage Species and the Arms and Equipment Guide. Both 3.0, but they also both seem like they might have the content you're looking for.

Thurbane
2013-10-29, 05:21 AM
Armor spikes

Armor spikes.
I third that motion.

If the creature is capable of wearing armor, this is probably the simplest solution, and will leave the mouth/tongue free.

Captnq
2013-10-29, 09:23 AM
WSA Opposable (3.0). +1 Bonus.
Check out my sig for the Weapon Handbook and Details.

Telonius
2013-10-29, 09:45 AM
I'd allow a shortsword, with a nonproficiency penalty.
http://www.horsenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Maximus.png

erikun
2013-10-29, 10:05 AM
It might be a bit much to assume that all weapons would be useless without a hand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulu).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Un_ulu_d%27Alaska_sur_fond_bleu.JPG

That said, any other options I'd recommend have already been mentioned. I might allow a punching dagger/katar to function normally, a whip is probably not impeded that much, and an intelligent wolf would probably be capable of handling a crossbow. Other than that, mouth spikes work. There are stats for claws in some book, which should work just fine. Armor spikes of course, and the tail spike has been mentioned as well.

Spore
2013-10-29, 10:06 AM
Since you already have a good amount of helpful tips, let me ask: Why are claws and a bite out of the question?

Yogibear41
2013-10-29, 11:20 AM
There not specifically, just working on a little theoretical build of a cannoloth (from mm3) for fun, they have a bite and a tongue attack, just seeing what else I could potentially do in melee, weapon spikes will probably end up working the best for what I have in mind, (thinking of bone knight, because a giant bulldog esque monster from hell gehena encased in full plate bone armor just tickles my fancy)

Harlot
2013-10-29, 02:20 PM
Serpent Kingdoms has a Tail Scythe.

Also Dragon Magic (?) has Tailbands of Impact which are not a weapon as such but they enhance a tail slap to overcome damage reduction.

Second on the braid blades - there's technically no limit to the NUMBER of braidblades, so a Gilette Medusa is a fair build. Make them morphing shurikens +1 first. 831 gp/piece

Would arm grafts work? Do they even exist?

Vaz
2013-10-29, 02:30 PM
Arms of Man from Savage Species.

Red Fel
2013-10-29, 02:37 PM
Doesn't MIC have a waist-slot item that functions as an extra hand?

And I thought those "Hands of Man" from SS only give you hands on an existing appendage, like a tail or tentacle, not the full limb to go with it.

hamishspence
2013-10-29, 03:18 PM
There's a more useful Savage Species item - called "Arms of the Naga".

This is what they look like when a naga's wearing them:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sk_gallery/82318.jpg

though they can be used by any creature with a solid body. If the creature already have arms- they allow the use of a two handed weapon plus an extra piece of equipment, such as a shield.

They do not, however, grant additional attacks- so no using of two two-handed weapons, or 4 one handed weapons.

(Given that the statblock has the naga using bite, tail, and sword attacks- my guess is that they do grant the ability to wield weapons if one couldn't before.)

lsfreak
2013-10-29, 04:29 PM
Complete Scoundrel has multiple hidden weapons - sleeve blades, elbow blades, knee blades, boot blades. They take a -2 on rolls but are otherwise as daggers, katars, short swords, and daggers, respectively.