PDA

View Full Version : Warlock question

OldTrees1
2013-10-29, 01:31 AM
Can a 1st level Warlock select a Least Invocation that has an effective spell level of 2? (Beguiling Influence[+6 to social skills] for example)

Can a Cleric 3 / Warlock 2 enter Mystic Theruge?

AlanBruce
2013-10-29, 01:42 AM
A first level warlock has access to least invocations. Within the least invocations, there is a certain warlock level requirement before he can gain access to them.

A warlock begins with knowledge of one invocation, which must be of the lowest grade (least). As a warlock gains levels, he learns new invocations, as summarized on Table 1–1 and described below. A list of available invocations can be found following this class description, and a complete description of each invocation can be found in Chapter 4 of this book.

As for Mystic Theurge, the class requirements ask that you cast arcane and divine spells. Warlocks cast spell like abilities (invocations), so they would be not able to qualify.

However, there is a PrC that advances divine spell casting and invocations- The Eldritch Disciple, from Complete Mage.

OldTrees1
2013-10-29, 02:05 AM
A first level warlock has access to least invocations. Within the least invocations, there is a certain warlock level requirement before he can gain access to them.

As for Mystic Theurge, the class requirements ask that you cast arcane and divine spells. Warlocks cast spell like abilities (invocations), so they would be not able to qualify.

However, there is a PrC that advances divine spell casting and invocations- The Eldritch Disciple, from Complete Mage.

Could I have more information on the warlock level requirement? (and a quote?)

Eldritch Disciple loses to much spellcasting in my opinion (even given the class features). So I guess I would need to use feats (Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice) to qualify for the arcane side of Mystic Theruge (and then have it progress Warlock as normal).

Crake
2013-10-29, 02:41 AM
Within the least invocations, there is a certain warlock level requirement before he can gain access to them.

Where exactly are you getting that? A level 1 warlock can pick any least invocation he wants, so he could pick up beguiling influence if he wanted to. the only things the spell levels are used for is determining if it can get through effects like a globe of invulnerability, or how many spell levels it consumes from a spell turning spell and the like (and also for calculating any DCs).

AlanBruce
2013-10-29, 03:11 AM
Where exactly are you getting that? A level 1 warlock can pick any least invocation he wants, so he could pick up beguiling influence if he wanted to. the only things the spell levels are used for is determining if it can get through effects like a globe of invulnerability, or how many spell levels it consumes from a spell turning spell and the like (and also for calculating any DCs).

You are right. I had missed that part. It has been awhile since I played a level 1 warlock, hence my earlier quote.