PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item

Wyrm Ouroboros
2013-10-29, 05:06 AM
Pathfinder rule base, here.

I'm developing a follower for an NPC (long story), but I really like the whole 'blind oracle / diplomat' vibe I'm building into her. The world is a combination of low and high magic (long story), and she's 6th level, so going by the PF build rules and my own world requirements, she gets half book value in GP to spend - works out to 8,000gp.

What I've decided she also does, though, is that she scribes scrolls. (I just like the idea of this blind lady doing calligraphy, you know?) However, what I want is to give her basically a magic item, a western quill or an eastern brush, that a) cuts down the material cost of scribing a scroll to 1/2 or 1/4 standard, and b) cuts down the time spent to equate to that required for the new material cost (i.e. if it's 250gp or less, 2 hours scribing time).

What what you price that to be, and what requirements involved in its creation? I'm thinking major creation ... and maybe Craft: Calligraphy at 5-10 ranks ... ?

Certified
2013-10-31, 02:19 AM
Scrolls and potions whose base price is more than 250 gp, but less than 1,000 gp, take 8 hours to create, just like any other magic item. The character must spend the gold at the beginning of the construction process. Regardless of the time needed for construction, a caster can create no more than one magic item per day. This process can be accelerated to 4 hours of work per 1,000 gp in the item's base price (or fraction thereof) by increasing the DC to create the item by +5.

Cost is one thing, time is another. Reducing the time required is an easier problem to resolve. This pen would be a wondrous item that adds +5 to Craft: Calligraphy, the Skill used when crafting a Scroll. This effectively allows you to halve the time required at no penalty to the Craft Check itself.