PDA

View Full Version : Avenger class (chaotic paladin)

kakkerlak
2007-01-05, 11:39 PM
Hey, tell me what you think of my class. The tables diddn't work the way i wanted them too so just refer to the paladin table. I kept everything the same except for the special abilities anyways. Actually I'll just post the things I changed. Do you think it's balanced?

kakkerlak
2007-01-05, 11:40 PM
Avenger

Alignment: Chaotic good.

Class Skills
Knowledge (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#knowledge) (geology / religion) (I changed nobility to geology)

Bless/Doom (Su): Once per day, an avenger may cast either bless or doom.
At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the avenger may cast bless or doom one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Avenger, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.
(I changed smite evil to bless/doom)

Divine chaos (Su): At 2nd level, a avenger gains a bonus equal to half her level on all saving throws.
(I changed Devine grace to devine chaos)

Endurance (Su): When a avenger reaches 4th level, she gains the Endurance feat for free even if she doesn’t have the prerequisites. (I changed turn undead to endurance)

Code of Conduct: An avenger must be of chaotic good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, an avenger’s code requires that she help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or lawful ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents. Also they are to always act as to what feels right to them regardless of what the law says.

Associates: While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, an avenger will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. An avenger may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are good. Avengers and paladins almost never get along because of their different views of what is right.
Ex-Avengers

An avenger who ceases to be chaotic good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all avenger spells and abilities (including the service of the avenger’s mount, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She may not progress any farther in levels as an avenger. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.

(I took away layon hands and the restriction to multiclassing otherwise they are exactly the same even with the mounts.)

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-05, 11:51 PM
...No. Just no.

This seems to me to be just an attempt to be able to use barbarian rage without alignment restrictions getting in the way. If you want to make a chaotic version of a fundamentally lawful class, it requires a COMPLETE revamp of class abilities and an entirely new flavor. For further information on the semi-impossibility of this, please take a look at our struggles in the "Chaotic Monks" thread

kakkerlak
2007-01-05, 11:57 PM
ehh, actually it's because I'm pratically incapable of rollplaying a lawful character

Roderick_BR
2007-01-06, 12:08 AM
Read the Holy Liberator from Masters of the Wild to have some ideas on how a chaotic paladin could work, then apply it for a basic class.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-06, 06:55 AM
The problem I always have with the idea of Chaotic Paladins is that a Paladin is a Lawful ideal.

Chaotic alignments don't need paladins. The idea of a Paladin is that a select group should be responsable for killing evil monsters and protecting the weak. In Neutral Good and Chaotic Good everyone protects each other no matter who you are.

If you want to make a Chaotic Good (or even Chaotic neutral) version of the Paladin you're doing it the wrong way. A Chaotic Paladin should be to the Rogue what a Paladin is to the fighter. The Chaotic alignment doesn't want an exemplar like the Paladin.

You want to be a Chaotic Paladin then play a Ranger.

A chaotic monk doesn't have these problems since altough monestry life is very lawful with regulated times for everything the kind of martial arts monk the class represents doesn't have to live in a monestry. Some monks live in monestries and those are lawful however a lot of Buddhist monks are aimless wanderers and these more chaotic monks are the kind that are more likely to be in an adventuring party anyway.

icke
2007-01-06, 11:11 AM
Plus, any chaotic character, especially an exemplar of chaos(whether that exists or not), will NEVER EVER have a code of conduct.

If You're unable to play a lawful character, don't try a paladin, there are tons of classes without alignment restrictions that alow for almost the same roleplaying options.